General Modern Horizons

Man I spoke too soon for favorite cards (Wrenn and Six is pretty sweet too)

fallenshinobi.jpg
unboundflourishing.jpg

I like cheaper and less janky Silent-Blade Oni what does everyone else think? The second one probably won't fit into many cubes, I like it a lot better than Rosheen Meanderer though

I was pessimistic about this set (see first page), but the cards are so amazing. I've changed my mind, there are so many good cards that it will hit Modern like an earthquake and provide a lot of diversity like a fixed Legacy. Lots of good cards mean the average price of a Modern-playable from this set will be reasonable.

For cube, there are tons of sweet designs, including many for archetypes that needed support.

Yeah, I was wrong.

Could this guy be good enough for aggro madness? Having to discard upfront makes it harder to cast it on turn 2 and the ping ability might be too expensive to matter in aggro.

I love how this card's name is a hybrid of two classics even. And I hope it means we'll get more hybrid awesomeness in this set!

636943215138113567.png

Lesser Masticore is a little disappointing. I don't see how its worth discarding a card for. I also really want another persist creature with an ETB. Come on Wizards.

Could this guy be good enough for aggro madness? Having to discard upfront makes it harder to cast it on turn 2 and the ping ability might be too expensive to matter in aggro.
I think the main problem with aggro madness is not the aggro part, but the madness. There are an endless amount of enablers and tricks that synergize well with Madness, the issue is there are few cards with the mechanic of which only a handful are good.

The removal of damage on the stack and creature power creep have also made many cards obsolete. I've been trying to make Madness work and I don't think it can be done unless your cube has a very specific power level or you do something like running 4 Basking Rootwallas, 3 Frantic Search (Which was common in one of the Masters limited environment from what I'm told)

Lesser Masticore is a little disappointing. I don't see how its worth discarding a card for. I also really want another persist creature with an ETB. Come on Wizards.

4: Ping 1 can make combat math absolutely miserable for your opponent. The fact that it inherently comes with two lives and provides an onboard trick of repeat value inherently makes it worth two cards. However, this is cube, and if you're running this guy you're either an aggro deck that wants a mana sink, or you've got some way to take advantage of the discard with madness, dredge, reanimation, or whatever. I'm a big fan.

Looks like these aren't a one-off:
swordofsinewandsteel.jpg

These would actually be somewhat interesting for my cube if it weren't for the fact that they gave protection in addition to the buff. Just saying.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Did we miss this guy?
seasonedpyromancer1.jpg

I get that people see "discard" and think "Madness", but casting any madness spell after paying 3 is unwieldly outside of super cheap spells (Fiery Temper)

I actually really like this in an aristocrats deck, where you can discard gravecrawler/bloodghast to it and sac the six (!!!) total bodies this guy provides.
As well, it's not as narrow as other aristocrat synergy cards, as midrange decks can utilize it as a sticky body that does some looting, filling graveyards and improving draws.

I hope this doesn't end up being too powerful, this is looking like one of those "every bit of the buffalo" cards I just love

Seasoned Pyromancer could not go in my cube fast enough. Easily one of the best cards. Its a sweet top deck and causes so much shenanigans with graveyards and tokens. I think its just the right power level too.

Oooooooooooh. Finally a Serendib Efreet that doesn't feel like it's breaking the color pie.

bazaartrademage.jpg

I know that there is already an Aladdin card, and that this guy has absolutely nothing to do with Aladdin other than the art, and that the reference is to the VMA print Bazaar of Bagdad and Serendib Efreet, but this guy reminds me of Aladdin. He is wearing the right color clothes and even has Iago in the art!

Yeah, I hope it's the only one. I wouldn't want to deal with multiple colorless mythic bombs in draft.

Meanwhile, this is an awesome little card that ticks like a million different boxes.

lessermasticore.jpg

I am totally making room for this. Discard+Persist+Onboard removal is amazing!

Did we miss this guy?
seasonedpyromancer1.jpg

I get that people see "discard" and think "Madness", but casting any madness spell after paying 3 is unwieldly outside of super cheap spells (Fiery Temper)

I actually really like this in an aristocrats deck, where you can discard gravecrawler/bloodghast to it and sac the six (!!!) total bodies this guy provides.
As well, it's not as narrow as other aristocrat synergy cards, as midrange decks can utilize it as a sticky body that does some looting, filling graveyards and improving draws.

I hope this doesn't end up being too powerful, this is looking like one of those "every bit of the buffalo" cards I just love

I think this only makes 5 bodies, right? Itself, 2 Elementals from discarding non land cards, and two elementals from exiling it.

I love the design as well, I'll add one if I open it I think.

I think the main problem with aggro madness is not the aggro part, but the madness. There are an endless amount of enablers and tricks that synergize well with Madness, the issue is there are few cards with the mechanic of which only a handful are good.

The removal of damage on the stack and creature power creep have also made many cards obsolete. I've been trying to make Madness work and I don't think it can be done unless your cube has a very specific power level or you do something like running 4 Basking Rootwallas, 3 Frantic Search (Which was common in one of the Masters limited environment from what I'm told)

Well, I think it's a mistake to only focus on the pay offs that have the actual word madness written on them. There are quite a few great cards that make aggressive starts with Mongrels and Co. possible:

That's not even everything.

Well, I think it's a mistake to only focus on the pay offs that have the actual word madness written on them. There are quite a few great cards that make aggressive starts with Mongrels and Co. possible:

That's not even everything.

Don't you think that means it's more of a discard deck then? Like, Drake Haven decks are discard decks, but they aren't madness decks.