General Modern Horizons

kayasguile.jpg

This is a bit too efficient graveyard-hate card for my cube, but I do love the effect (maybe I'll test a more modern power level cube with all these new cards?)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a one shot graveyard hate effect, at three mana, in two colors. I don't see how Kaya's Guile is too efficient. I don't think I want to run it honestly.

crashingfootfalls.jpg

Interesting!

valiantchangeling1.jpg

Is that a two drop 3/3 double strike if you have a changeling out o_O

kessdissidentmage.jpg

Nonfoil legendary border baby! Woo!

orcishhellraiser1.jpg

This is pretty cool!

Does anyone share my fear that Wizard is going to "out-riptide" us with these supplemental products and with their new design policy ?

That is not a fear but a hope :) A very slim, fading, dull, distant beacon of hope :p

However it still looks like most people are brewing cubes based on Wizards’ biggest mistakes and not their most interesting designs/something unique. So at least there’s that.

This feels like a bit of a weird hill to die on. It's difficult to argue that madness cards are good by themselves and so everything is fine. Fiery temper isn't efficient by itself and requires discard effects to be 'good'.

The only reason it matters is to communicate to your players and us what you're trying to achieve with your archetype design. If you call something aggro madness people will naturally assume you are talking about building a deck with lots of madness cards, where perhaps its more about ways to gain advantage of discard cards by utilising discard triggers (madness), and cards that have effects in the graveyard. Just saying you might want consider how you refer to it, but at the end of the day not a massive issue and you do you! :)

That's a good point, I will pay attention to that when drafting with less experienced players and talking about the aechetypes!

But I feel like madness is one of those decks that a newbie has to see in action before he has a good chance to draft and build it himself successfully.

What a crazy name for a crazy card.

Needs a very special kind of deck to be viable and I am not the one to mold my cube around it, sadly. Paying 4 mana for a random spell that costs 3 mana or less is terrible. Doing it every third turn in place of a land is pretty decent..if your deck is constructed around it. I am with Ravnic here.

What a crazy name for a crazy card.

Needs a very special kind of deck to be viable and I am not the one to mold my cube around it, sadly. Paying 4 mana for a random spell that costs 3 mana or less is terrible. Doing it every third turn in place of a land is pretty decent..if your deck is constructed around it. I am with Ravnic here.

Cost reducers and card draw. Sort of like storm ;)

pashalikmons.jpg

Well, I guess if you're really deep on tribal?

endling.jpg

I'm only posting this because it's a -ling, even if I think it's at a weird place where it has some power but it's not actively fun in any way.

It's a one shot graveyard hate effect, at three mana, in two colors. I don't see how Kaya's Guile is too efficient. I don't think I want to run it honestly.

It's no Tormod's Crypt, but it CAN come stapled with an instant Cruel Edict
(or a Lantern Kami).
Not sure if sideboard options to choose two of is good enough to be maindeckable, but it just seems like something I would autopick unless I'm halfway through pack two and I'm settled in different colors. That's just my opinion for my cube environment though. Edict effects proved too strong for mine since I don't have a lot of tokens

I really like the -lings but in cubes they're wonky. I want to use Endling and make a menace, deathtouch, and undying (in response to it dying) shapeshifter, but your manafixing has to either be really good to do that in multicolor or you're playing mono-black. They just cry out for better choices for bombs

Kaya's Guile does have entwine. So you can pay double and get all 4 effects. I like the card well enough. GY hate is appreciated, and its effects are really nice in multiplayer settings. Entwine plays into the multiplayer setting too, with more time to reach 6 mana.

Does anyone share my fear that Wizard is going to "out-riptide" us with these supplemental products and with their new design policy ?

That is not a fear but a hope :) A very slim, fading, dull, distant beacon of hope :p

However it still looks like most people are brewing cubes based on Wizards’ biggest mistakes and not their most interesting designs/something unique. So at least there’s that.

We can always go EVEN MOOAR RIPTIDE and totally outriptide them to the ground!

I welcome the challenge

I don't think it's going to be possible for WOTC to out-Riptide Riptide with supplemental products.

There is a fundamental difference between building a riptide cube and designing a full-fledged set or supplemental product. All we have to do is regulate our powerbands and create an interesting limited environment. Wizards has to include some cards specifically for limited, for Commander, for real constructed formats, and for casual players. In addition, wizards has to print some amount of "Gold Bars" to sell the set. For example, compare War of the Spark to my cube. Both have similar themes and archetypes, as-fans of gold cards, and a higher than usual number of planeswalkers for limited. Yet, playing with War of the Spark feels like a complete trainwreck half the time, while Highball feels like, well, riding a highball! The reason for this is simple. I didn't have to include cards specifically to impact Standard or make commander players have a collective seizure. All I had to do was design a format that was fun to draft. Since I had fewer goals I needed to meet, I was able to achieve those goals better than an actual set might.

As WOTC prints more Riptidey cards, we're all going to have better tools for our cubes. They can go nuts printing Wand of Vertebrae and Drake Havens in a (subconscious) attempt to emulate our limited environments, but the fact that they have to include cards like God-Eternal Oketra in their sets means that they're not going to be able to achieve this goal using any sort of capitalistic model. If Wizards really wants to out-riptide us, their going to have to build their sets with a more even powerband, which corporate won't let them do because they fear a decrease in sales. The more tools they give us, the harder their job becomes (right now). Funny how that works.

Bleeeh, I hate how these cards are only playable if you run snow basics. I like to have a variety of blingy basics and don't want to homogenous my basic land box like that. Hard pass, but if I ever build a powered cube I guess it'll run snow basics. Maybe that'll make it really feel like a holiday cube.