Modern Rotisserie Draft

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm not sure when Rotisserie caught on fire lately, but between the Modern roto draft that's making the rounds (the one Marshall Sutcliffe is participating in), Rob Dennis's recent cube roto, myself partaking in a Khans of Tarkir roto draft at work, and Jeff running a roto for his local playgroup, it seems like the bug has spread.

So the next step is to run a forum Modern roto draft, and then just never play out the games. Cause drafting is 99% of the fun anyways, along with the inevitable post-draft analysis. I mean, playing Magic is overrated. Talking about Magic is where it's at!

Reply if you're interested. Or even if you're not, and just think it's dumb.

1) Eric
2) Dom
3) Silas
4) Jeff
5) bumbeh
6) James
7) vennythekid
8) Jonas

If you take part in this you will be expected to provide POINT FORM NOTES at the very least, and optionally FULL WRITE UPS if you so choose. That's the homework part of this assignment!

edit:
Draft's started! Come watch here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ujTU9m860BUTfxBinQTvMAQLvaw2sYcSTP52wNToL6k/edit?usp=sharing

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, current Modern ban list in effect. I wouldn't worry, I doubt most of us will know what we're doing, either. That's the beauty of it!

If you take part in this you will be expected to provide POINT FORM NOTES at the very least, and optionally FULL WRITE UPS if you so choose. That's the homework part of this assignment!

I probably don't need more homework with finals and all coming up, but I'd be willing to give this a go!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Sweet. Line up is set!

Everyone please PM me with your email address, and I'll send out a Google Docs spreadsheet invite to your email.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
We do have a Google Hangouts where I'm pinging people when it's their turn - idea blatantly stolen from Rob Dennis! - but I'm not sure if people use that at all, despite needing a Google account to edit the sheet.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Looks like it should be possible. I will look into it if I get time today.

Man... I love that there are closet programmers hidden all over this forum! By default, Google Sheets has a feature where you can sign up to get notifications any time the spreadsheet changes, but that'll probably lead to a barrage of emails.

Searching for 'conditional notification' turned up a few results:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15336907/email-notification-if-cell-is-changed

I can't really make heads or tails of it, though, but let me know if you understand that gibberish better than I do!

There are any number of services that'll send you a daily reminder email, or even a "eh, every 1 to 3 days, surprise me" reminder email

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Oh dear god, I really hope we finish this in less than 42 x 8 = 336 days.

Not sure daily emails is going to come close to cutting it.

edit: i guess this is a game and we are on a forum so moving this thread to the right place

If one person's schedule is such that their online time does not overlap whatsoever with the persons who pick before and after that person, then that person will only be able to make one pick a day! I think.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Okay, I'm going to make a rule:

It's your job to notify whoever picks after you. I don't care how you do it - email, text, PM, Skype, Google Hangout, telegram, carrier pigeon, Morse code via lighthouse. So get the contact info of the person to your left and to your right, and message them when you're done.

I think we're actually all on the Skype thread, save for bumbeh, so that might be the primary means of checking when it's your turn. But in case people don't actively use Skype, just make sure you gently nudge the next guy after you.