Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

It seems there is a cycle/theme of "improbable alliances" from various planes. Cool flavor!

Also cool to see that scryfall updates with spoilers, didn't know they do that.

These cards are very silly, very pushed, very dumb, and very cool. I'm glad they exist and hope that none of them are fun enough that I'm tempted to run them.

In other news, does anyone know what the deal is with the Planechase cards from the commander decks? I'm glad they're making more, but this is novel.

I don't know how to feel about the juxtaposition of "a place where imagination becomes reality is under the control of the multiverse's greatest evil" and "lmao what if thalia rode on the gitrog monster into battle xd"

also slightly bothered that the Theros god isn't doing the Theros god thing, and the Phyrexian Preator isn't doing the Phyrexian Preator thing, mechanically speaking.

Moment of Truth and Breach the Multiverse are both very cool magic cards though.

Yikes to the design process so far. A+B card names = A+B's effects? How daring...

That said, there's a couple of super fatties that I admittedly love.

slimefootandsquee.jpg

Squeefoot seems pretty powerful. You need a Saproling to stick in order to activate the reanimation ability, but this card prints those so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Additionally, Saprolings aren't too hard to create with supplemental cards. I'm not sure I'll be playing this, but I think it's cool enough to warrant a look.

Commander players: “We want more products for us!”

Wizards: “Okay, here is a set for you.”

Wizards: “Here are four more sets for you.”

Commander players: “Ehm…”

Wizards: “We will make a set for you as an attachment to each Standard set besides giving you an annual set and a bunch of special Secret Lairs and a super unique set for you each year.”

Commander players: “Please, make it stop.”

Commander players: “We want more products for us!”

Wizards: “Okay, here is a set for you.”

Wizards: “Here are four more sets for you.”

Commander players: “Ehm…”

Wizards: “We will make a set for you as an attachment to each Standard set besides giving you an annual set and a bunch of special Secret Lairs and a super unique set for you each year.”

Commander players: “Please, make it stop.”
I mean, people keep buying all of the bonus Commander products. Obviously someone other than Hasbro executives want them.

Invasion of Amonkhet
Kind of funky since there's almost nothing left. But Phyrexia is greedy and wants it all.
Invasion of Amonkhet.png

Invasion of Dominaria
This is almost done
Invasion of Dominaria.png

Invasion of Eldraine
We are going back there soon
Invasion of Eldraine.png

Invasion of Ikoria
Invasion of Ikoria.png

Invasion of Ixalan
We're going back there soon
Invasion of Ixalan.png

Invasion of Kaladesh
Imagine Phyrexia getting access to Aether
Invasion of Kaladesh.png

Invasion of Kamigawa
Imagine Phyrexia getting access to modern technology and compleats the Kami
Invasion of Kamigawa.png

Invasion of New Capenna
Invasion of New Capenna.png

Invasion of Theros
Imagine the Gods being compleated
Invasion of Theros.png

Invasion of Zendikar
Phyrexia is in for a bumpy ride
Invasion Zendikar.png

Magic combining effects into creatures isn't anything new, but literally combining creatures into each other just feels like peak laziness to me. These are incredibly uninspired designs.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I kind of disagree, actually. From a design point of view, I like that they're variations on their predecessors in many cases, but not literal amalgamations. For example, Drana and Linvala obviously have Linvala, Keeper of Silence in them, but there isn't a version of Drana that steals activated abilities. It's a neat complementary design that feels in flavor but adds just enough new stuff to not feel like a cheap design to me. More importantly, perhaps, all of these represent the unlikely alliances needed to confront the Phyrexian horde. From a flavor point of view these are driving home an important point in the storyline: the Phyrexians are threat of never before seen proportion, so big that it takes sworn enemies to work together to stand a chance.

Like every design on r/custommagic is smashing together two cards now lol.
Fblthp and Siege Rhino {G}{W}{U}{B}
Legendary Creature– Hommunculus Rhino
Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 3 life. You draw a card and gain 3 life.
5/6

Emry and Tasigur 7UB
Legendary Creature– Human Merfolk
Delve, affinity for Artifacts
{1}{G/U}, {T}: Put the top 2 cards of your library into your graveyard. Then, choose a card in your graveyard. Return it to your hand.
5/7

Storm Crow and Colossal Dreadmaw 3{U}{G}{G}
Creature– Dinosaur (Birds are Dinosaurs)
Flying, trample
Winter descends with their teeth. Summer starts when they flee.
6/6

Young Pyromancer and Bob {B}{R}
Creature– Human Wizard Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost. If it was an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token.
2/1