Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

fhvverygfdja1.png

Probably the design most in line with WotC's current ideas.

Please, keep making fun of these mashups. I love it. I will see what I can contribute.

Edit:
Trove Custodian Goblin Raider.png

Edit 2 and then I'll stop:

Benalish Shu Cavalry.png

Last edited:
Can an Eldrazi be compleated? I have no clue if there are rules for the corruption...
I kinda doubt it? The drones can probably be compleated, but the titans are almost definitely immune purely by being what they are.

I'm honestly only really a fan of these two designs so far:

One of the first themes I tried building around when I got back into Magic was "make everyone draw cards for fun and profit" (because Fevered Visions and Runeflare Trap are fun cards). Faerie Mastermind seems like a cool way to make that playstyle less suicidal. I want to use it with Arcane Denial pretty badly.

Moment of Truth, on the other hand, is one of those simple cards that's probably WAY stronger than it looks. In the right deck, it's essentially an easier-to-cast instant-speed Expressive Iteration. It's still balanced, though, by the fact that it does need to be in the right deck — you can't just jam it into any deck that can play it and expect it to be good. It's a solid, straightforward design, and I wish we saw more of those.

Because boy howdy does the rest of the preview cards feel... scattered. Some of the designs seem alright (the new Chandra is very... Chandra), but the other designs simply feel messy. Too much stuff is getting stuffed into each card.

All nonsense aside. I would expect some mechanical relation between the pair and the two parts and that the sum is more than the parts. Otherwise, why pair them? That said, it is cheesy/lazy to just pair them and be done with it.

Can an Eldrazi be compleated? I have no clue if there are rules for the corruption...

Obviously we don’t know but every time we have had this question come up for something else the Phyrexians has proven that they can compleat anything.

We thought they couldn’t compleat artificial buildings. But they could.

We thought they couldn’t compleat etherium but they could.

We thought they couldn’t compleat darksteel but they could.

We thought Gods couldn’t but they could.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

We thought they couldn't compleat planeswalkers, but they could.

Anyway, while I can laugh about the silly legend X + legend Y designs, like I said earlier, I don't actually think these are lazy or uninspired designs. They may seem a bit on the nose because they're literally calling out in the name and art that these are two cards stapled together, but mixing and matching is something that gets done all the time when creating gold cards, and often to great results. Recoil is a fantastic card, but ultimately it's just Boomerang stapled to the most basic targeted discard effect. If you squint your eyes, Vindicate is basically Befoul + Disenchant at a good rate. Barktooth Warbeard is just... Goblin Cavaliers + Scathe Zombies... at a worse rate. Ok, maybe Barktooth wasn't the best example, point is, this is a legit way to design cards, and as long as they get a bit creative with it, I have nothing against it. Drana and Linvala, for example, ticks the boxes as a decently statted minion with an interesting twist on the original Linvala, thanks to her vampiric ally.

Did Nemesis/Prophecy actually take place on mercadia? Because there's two ledgends in mercadian masques proper, and one's Squee :p
Nope, I think they were on Rath. Also, Squee isn't from Mercadia, he just went there with the Weatherlight crew I think... so Cho-Manno is alone :(

0e758594-a48c-4508-b400-9028aec07f63.jpg

Moment of Truth, on the other hand, is one of those simple cards that's probably WAY stronger than it looks. In the right deck, it's essentially an easier-to-cast instant-speed Expressive Iteration. It's still balanced, though, by the fact that it does need to be in the right deck — you can't just jam it into any deck that can play it and expect it to be good. It's a solid, straightforward design, and I wish we saw more of those.
I think it's closer to an instant speed Strategic Planning than Expressive Iteration. Iteration basically always lets you draw 2 cards for 2 mana (as long as you're playing it on turn 3 or later), while Planning and Moment of Truth are only ever guaranteed to give you one card to use, plus stock your graveyard a bit.

I think Moment of Truth looks like one of the best two-mana cantrips. While it doesn't quite reach the level of the good 1 mana cantrips like Ponder, Brainstorm, and company, it's probably not too much worse than Opt and Consider. I definitely want to get a copy of this card for my Cube.

Nope, I think they were on Rath. Also, Squee isn't from Mercadia, he just went there with the Weatherlight crew I think... so Cho-Manno is alone :(
Close, but no banana.
Mmq was on mercadia.
Nemesis on rath.
Prophecy on Dominaria.
Squee is from dominaria. As is Crovax, as is volrath. Linn-sivi is from rath, although from rath is likely coming from something else.

edit: mercadia is if I remember correctly populated during the thran time by folks from dominaria. So likely cho-manno’s great great etc parents are from somewhere else.

Obviously we don’t know but every time we have had this question come up for something else the Phyrexians has proven that they can compleat anything.

This is the one that really bugs me. At the risk of mixing metaphors, I'm oddly reminded of "What does God need with a Starship?" Seems really strange. What do the Theros Gods need with Compleation or any of it?

But we also had Zombified Gods, so whatever I guess. This just feels different.

Last edited:
So March Φf the Machine is getting 5 new commander decks...
march-of-the-machine-commander-decks.jpg

Tinker Time: RUG Artifact Tokens.
Call for Backup: RGW Counters.
Divin Convocation: URW Convoke.
Growing Threat: WB Phyrexians.
Cavalry Charge: WUB Knight Tribal.

This is important because last year's 5 deck commander release (New Capenna Commander//Commander 2022) had some very powerful Cube cards such as Grand Crescendo, In Too Deep, Lethal Scheme, and Currency Converter. While two of these decks (Phyrexians and Knight Tribal) seem like they are thematically a little narrow, the Artifact Tokens, Convoke, and Counters decks are almost certainly full of goodies for us. If nothing else, we're getting a RUG Legendary Gremlin, which is pretty cool.

Also, the leader of the Phyrexians deck appears to be Brimaz, King of Oreskos. Super sad if they got my boy!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So March Φf the Machine is getting 5 new commander decks...
march-of-the-machine-commander-decks.jpg

Tinker Time: RUG Artifact Tokens.
Call for Backup: RGW Counters.
Divin Convocation: URW Convoke.
Growing Threat: WB Phyrexians.
Cavalry Charge: WUB Knight Tribal.

This is important because last year's 5 deck commander release (New Capenna Commander//Commander 2022) had some very powerful Cube cards such as Grand Crescendo, In Too Deep, Lethal Scheme, and Currency Converter. While two of these decks (Phyrexians and Knight Tribal) seem like they are thematically a little narrow, the Artifact Tokens, Convoke, and Counters decks are almost certainly full of goodies for us. If nothing else, we're getting a RUG Legendary Gremlin, which is pretty cool.

Also, the leader of the Phyrexians deck appears to be Brimaz, King of Oreskos. Super sad if they got my boy!
Would that not be Ajani? Or do we have a card list?

Would that not be Ajani? Or do we have a card list?
It's not Ajani because Phyrexian Ajani doesn't have that big Phyrexia symbol on his forehead and is more of a pale white color.

Additionally, the Character on the box has the same Sword and wears the same crown as Brimaz.

There are also some horses with Nyx-like patterning on their coats. So while it hasn't been confirmed one way or another who the character on the Commander deck box is... it's probably Brimaz or some other Therran Leonin.

I'll give you the gods (though the explanation there seems to be "we compleated all of Heliod's worshippers, and that made them believe in compleated!Heliod", rather than them compleating Heliod directly), but the rest of those are... questionable.

Like, I don't think anyone thought that they couldn't compleat buildings, since their first appearance had them compleating geological formations (see the flavor text for Geosurge, though that has a LOT to do with the fact that the ground was partially made of flesh back when the plane was Mirrodin). Similarly, etherium and darksteel are both metals, so it's not that much of a stretch to say that they'd be compleatable (mycosynth turns flesh to metal and metal to flesh, after all). Phyrexians are profoundly physical.

The Eldrazi are not. Like, their whole thing on Zendikar and Innistrad is that they rewrote how the world worked basically at a whim. It'd be like compleating gravity or the concept of loyalty, and I don't think the oil can quite manage that.

(More importantly, though, compleating the Eldrazi would be piss-poor story-telling.)

EDIT: To clarify... this storyline has basically made me hate the Phyrexians. I thought they were cool in Scars block (they were a novel plane-bound apocalypse that had a solid reason to get planeswalkers involved), but the current writing team has made them incredibly powerful and incredibly boring by breaking the rules that were previously established by Scars block.

Here were the rules back in Scars:

1) The oil caused phyresis, a wasting disease that would turn you into a mindless zombie on death.
2) If someone could surgically jam you full of cyborg parts in time, you'd be compleated and turn into a Phyrexian. You'd still be dead, mind you, but the resulting being would keep your at least some of your memory and personalities.
3) Mycosynth (which infested everything other than Melira on Mirrodin, including inanimate objects), with its weird ability to turn flesh into metal and vice-versa, was capable of spontaneously compleating stuff.
4) Compleated beings are incapable of holding a spark (because they're dead).

#3 is why Mirrodin was uniquely screwed. On any other plane, an outbreak of phyresis would theoretically just act like a "normal" zombie plague unless someone showed up and set up a surgical rig to compleat people — on Mirrodin, every single outbreak would result in at least some full phyrexians who could start bootstrapping a Phyrexian invasion.

In the new storyline, they've apparently decided that the oil directly causes compleation, and that Jin Gitaxias figured out how to make the oil compleat planeswalkers after experimenting on, like, two of them. As a result, New Phyrexia is so powerful that the only way they're going to be able to resolve this plotline as anything other than "well, half of the multiverse is Phyrexia now" is with some random ass-pull that they do not have time to set up properly.

It's just bad writing, and I'm disappointed.

Last edited:
I'll give you the gods (though the explanation there seems to be "we compleated all of Heliod's worshippers, and that made them believe in compleated!Heliod", rather than them compleating Heliod directly), but the rest of those are... questionable.

Like, I don't think anyone thought that they couldn't compleat buildings, since their first appearance had them compleating geological formations (see the flavor text for Geosurge, though that has a LOT to do with the fact that the ground was partially made of flesh back when the plane was Mirrodin). Similarly, etherium and darksteel are both metals, so it's not that much of a stretch to say that they'd be compleatable (mycosynth turns flesh to metal and metal to flesh, after all). Phyrexians are profoundly physical.

The Eldrazi are not. Like, their whole thing on Zendikar and Innistrad is that they rewrote how the world worked basically at a whim. It'd be like compleating gravity or the concept of loyalty, and I don't think the oil can quite manage that.

(More importantly, though, compleating the Eldrazi would be piss-poor story-telling.)

EDIT: To clarify... this storyline has basically made me hate the Phyrexians. I thought they were cool in Scars block (they were a novel plane-bound apocalypse that had a solid reason to get planeswalkers involved), but the current writing team has made them incredibly powerful and incredibly boring by breaking the rules that were previously established by Scars block.

Here were the rules back in Scars:

1) The oil caused phyresis, a wasting disease that would turn you into a mindless zombie on death.
2) If someone could surgically jam you full of cyborg parts in time, you'd be compleated and turn into a Phyrexian. You'd still be dead, mind you, but the resulting being would keep your at least some of your memory and personalities.
3) Mycosynth (which infested everything other than Melira on Mirrodin, including inanimate objects), with its weird ability to turn flesh into metal and vice-versa, was capable of spontaneously compleating stuff.
4) Compleated beings are incapable of holding a spark (because they're dead).

#3 is why Mirrodin was uniquely screwed. On any other plane, an outbreak of phyresis would theoretically just act like a "normal" zombie plague unless someone showed up and set up a surgical rig to compleat people — on Mirrodin, every single outbreak would result in at least some full phyrexians who could start bootstrapping a Phyrexian invasion.

In the new storyline, they've apparently decided that the oil directly causes compleation, and that Jin Gitaxias figured out how to make the oil compleat planeswalkers after experimenting on, like, two of them. As a result, New Phyrexia is so powerful that the only way they're going to be able to resolve this plotline as anything other than "well, half of the multiverse is Phyrexia now" is with some random ass-pull that they do not have time to set up properly.

It's just bad writing, and I'm disappointed.
Well, they could retcon it back to weaken it…
Or let phyrexia rule everything and start mtg 2.0