Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

kamiofwhisperedhopes.jpg

Hardened Scales? Is that you!?

In all seriousness, I don't think this card is all that great (too much mana!), but I think this ability is nice to have redundant copies of for counters decks. If I still had my peasant Cube, I would definitely be putting this one right in.

v3tadpfpcpqa1.png

First time seeing Tolvada anywhere! It was mentioned in one of the books but this is the first time it's been shown to us in art.

This card seems really good by the way. Reanimation spells are like crack to me.

Double-faced cards, double-faced tokens, and a lot of very specific and tedious text. Might be sitting out most of this set.
For what it's worth, I found ONE to be pretty decent to play. I'm guessing the same is true for MoM, and I don't mind just getting a handful cool cards in regular sets.

My eyes are sliding off most of the designs, but these three are kinda neat:

seerofstolensight.jpg
axgardartisan.jpg
voldarenthrillseeker.jpg

The Seer and Artisan seem like they'd do well in the Capitalism Cube (moreso the Seer, but the Artisan's just interesting).

Voldaren Thrillseeker, on the other hand, is a shoe-in for one of my 2-3-7 projects — it has decent stats on an empty board (3/3 for {2}{R}), but you can also turn it into a pump+fling that leaves behind a 1/1. It also helps that it's one of the more easily parsed Backup creatures we've seen so far.

20230329_122245.jpg

Good blink card.

Every spoiler season they start pissing ravnic off by showing some new pushed stat line with upside we haven't had before for a compareable cost. This is not as egregious as that {2}{G} 4/4 trampler with double upside, but they still succeeded.

I might pick up a couple booster fun cards and that white O-Ring with ward doesn't look bad either. But with double faced tokens, phyrexian tribal and that new card type that feels super convoluted so far, it might be the second set this year I'm mostly skipping, at least regarding cube additions.

Double-faced cards, double-faced tokens, and a lot of very specific and tedious text. Might be sitting out most of this set.

Yeah, it all feels like a little... much? I'm also not a big fan of the Incubator tokens being double-sided and involving +1/+1 counters — that seems like it'd be overly fiddly in paper.