Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

Every spoiler season they start pissing ravnic off by showing some new pushed stat line with upside we haven't had before for a compareable cost. This is not as egregious as that {2}{G} 4/4 trampler with double upside, but they still succeeded.

I might pick up a couple booster fun cards and that white O-Ring with ward doesn't look bad either. But with double faced tokens, phyrexian tribal and that new card type that feels super convoluted so far, it might be the second set this year I'm mostly skipping, at least regarding cube additions.
Honestly I think the two toughness was added to make up for the fact that this doesn't kill tokens or get rid of blockers for the turn. Definitely doesn't seem power crept to me.

hhllfd20npqa1.png

Bay-bee-Shark do do do do doo do Baby Shark do do do do do do Baby Shark do do do do do doo Bay-be Shark!
Favorite spoiler of the day so far. This would be everything I wanted Poppet Stitcher to be as the blue member of the rough cycle of Young Pyromancers as is, but it's a Phyrexian Sharknado. Couldn't be happier.

iwhwwobrmpqa1.png

Why did 3 mana get all the good cards this time around? This one is a lot of text but it seems pretty reasonable, all things considered. At any rate it forces you to think a lot to get maximum value out of it and it's doing something new for UR within the spellslinger slot, so I'll be jamming this for sure.

Also, look at this squad! I don't think they're good (when are you happy about convoking out a three-drop? T4 so that you can double spell??), but the art is very powerful.

jkjxr3v7wpqa1.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I'm with Train, Ravnic. I think only being able to target your side (and only artifacts/creatures) makes this a cool thing to run in addition to flickerwisp, not just replacing it.

So far, the battles seem interesting. I think giving yourself a 5 loyalty walker to beat up before you start killing your opponent is an interesting decision, and unlike MDFCs you don't need to worry about what's on the back side as much; they're more like Search for Azcanta or the spark creatures, for eg. I definitely only have a vague idea of what the backside of Kytheon does, but that's fine, that's mostly all you need.

Like this thing:
1680131258704.png1680131271494.png
Like there is a lot of words here, I'd obviously love it to be simpler, but I think this is solid.
Once you're done parsing, you get shock+ for 2, and you can decide weather you want to give up 5 damage in your red deck for a 4/4 flier that also shocks things.
That's an interesting decision!

And TBH, Battles are probably going to be better because they're not the most complicated DFCs in the set!
1680131519199.png1680131525488.png
Look at this shit! :p
I love that these are here (there's a cycle of 5 presumably, there's a Jin Gitaxis one as well), because these have SO MANY WORDS on them you just can't even begin to pretend this doesn't use up your complexity budget.

One of the things I hate about the games worse MDFCs (Strixhaven/Kaldhiem) is that all the DFCs are rare/mythic, so they NEED this ephemeral cool factor which 99% of the time leads to more words on the card. There's no like, 2/2 prowess, volcanic hammer on the back because that's just not "interesting" enough to justify a rare slot.

There are uncommon battles, and there's also these saga/praetors at the top dragging up the average, so (at least it looks like it) the rares can be reasonable cards.

landofMordor

Administrator
Also, look at this squad! I don't think they're good (when are you happy about convoking out a three-drop? T4 so that you can double spell??), but the art is very powerful.

View attachment 8122
my favorite detail is how the lead homonculus is standing with their toes pointing inwards, like they learned power-poses from movies and this is their first time trying it out

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A 3/3 flyer for {2}{W} with no downside doesn't seem power crept to you? I guess we just come from different timelines then, because stat-wise this is literally the most pushed {2}{W} flyer (without downsides) we've ever seen in the history of Magic :)

Yeah, but there are plenty of cards that aren't too far off with upsides to more than account for their downsides. This isn't to say that a second white pip isn't meaningful, I also would argue the likes of Resplendent Angel are significantly stronger.

It's the first, for sure, but I don't think 3 toughness is the most meaningful part of this card. I remember us being amazed at Cloudsteel Kirin and Elite Spellbinder a year and change ago for their aggressive costs, and this just doesn't seem fundamentally different to me.

That said, the specific advantages the angel provides make it compelling for my cube (and I imagine many others). I agree with Train that it's in no way a comp for Flickerwisp because you can't do the same kind of shenanigans (~50% of the use cases from my experience). I'd be more likely to play it in decks with Resto, but losing the flash takes off a staggering amount of the flexibility and bonuses from that card too...which is more acceptable due to the cheaper cost.

Still haven't decided if Guardian of Ghirapur is going to make my list or not. The white 3-drop creature slot continues to be one of the most aggressively contested slots I've seen, and something that's pretty blink-focused may be more narrow than I'd like.

The first thing I notice when I see such an important story-card like this is the rarity. "Oh... It's rare." This means it cannot be a very good card they want to use to sell packs. Because the most important element in the story, the reason why Phyrexians can travel between all worlds in the multiverse and attack all planes, a callback to another important card, a legendary artifact with a 10 mana game-ending ability. If this is not mythic.. then it MUST be because the card is not designed to sell packs.

After the introduction of battles I think Wizards can design some interesting low-power burn spells.

Target battle or creature
Target battle or planeswalker
Target battle, planeswalker or battle
Etc

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, but there are plenty of cards that aren't too far off with upsides to more than account for their downsides. This isn't to say that a second white pip isn't meaningful, I also would argue the likes of Resplendent Angel are significantly stronger.

It's the first, for sure, but I don't think 3 toughness is the most meaningful part of this card. I remember us being amazed at Cloudsteel Kirin and Elite Spellbinder a year and change ago for their aggressive costs, and this just doesn't seem fundamentally different to me.
I won't fault anyone for wanting to include it, but 3/3 is significantly different from 3/2 or 2/3, as it either trades with less removal spells and creatures in combat, or it applies a lot less pressure. {2}{W} is significantly (though less significantly) different from {1}{W}{W} as well. Single pips are so much less demanding on the mana base than double pips on low mv cards. Still, I don't include Resplendent Angel or Resplendent Marshal in my cube because they are 3/3's. It's fair to say the mana cost doesn't play a major role in that decision, but it certainly doesn't make me more inclined to run an even easier to cast 3/3 flyer.

streetwisenegotiator.jpg

Anybody here fancy a Watchwolf for 1G?

zsba6ldajwqa1.png

Speaking of build-arounds! I wish this included instants; it feels like it should. That'd probably be enough to put it over the edge for me as a fun archetype-enabler.

A 3/3 flyer for {2}{W} with no downside doesn't seem power crept to you? I guess we just come from different timelines then, because stat-wise this is literally the most pushed {2}{W} flyer (without downsides) we've ever seen in the history of Magic :)
I think it's a new space, but it's not power crept.

We've been getting 3/3 fliers for 3 with upside for so long that this card isn't particularly notable for anything except the mana cost. 1 pip is certainly better than two, but the actual text on the card is significantly less impactful than stuff like Resplendent Angel and Resplendent Marshal, so it all comes out in the wash.

RDT_20230330_1047294041649394602787481.jpg
RDT_20230330_1047335073166579491892102.jpg

I love this. Not a great card per se, although I think the backside is pretty great if you can flip it.

The 1/1 Trampling Kraken tokens are hilarious. So is the art (Phyrexian foot crushing a tiny city). This is kind of just perfect.

1680190919330.jpeg2/2 flier. Can’t block.
Whenever one or more instant or sorcery spells you control deal damage to an opponent or a battle card, you may pay {R}. If you do, return Bloodfeather Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn.

Now this seems pretty good! 2 mana is great since we already have a bunch of 3 mana phoenixes, this helps diversify the curve. It’s pretty easy to recur since most aggressive Red decks are already playing spells that damage an opponent. A single Red mana is just right to keep it honest, but low enough that you can try and abuse it.

The can’t block clause means that you won’t stall out the game by recurring it, but at the same time it can play decently in sacrifice decks.
Is it weird that the first interaction that came to mind is Grapeshot + sacrifice outlet for multiple recursions?

landofMordor

Administrator
RDT_20230330_0141327906140213432397952.jpg

@landofMordor {1}{G} Watchwolf?! I don't like how texty this card is for what should amount to a vanilla 3/3 a somewhat significant amount of the time (or the fact that it's one of those weird New Capenna furries), but I do like that it can upgrade a 1-drop creature if necessary. Putting a counter on Birds of Paradise or Gilded Goose seems kind of nasty.

Spectral Bears is in shambles.
lowkey evaluating this design file with 3 metrics in mind:
1. is it a watchwolf for the Ship of Theseus?
2. does it have noir/art deco flavor for the Pulp Nouveau cube?
3. is it a Samurai who will go in my "Invasion of NEO" set cube?

This one hits #2 for sure, but idk if it'll be too much rate in that format. It's enough rate for Ship, so it'll probably go there. (Backup on Goose or Birds is rough because they'll only get the Doran ability until end of turn, tho...)

lowkey evaluating this design file with 3 metrics in mind:
1. is it a watchwolf for the Ship of Theseus?
2. does it have noir/art deco flavor for the Pulp Nouveau cube?
3. is it a Samurai who will go in my "Invasion of NEO" set cube?

This one hits #2 for sure, but idk if it'll be too much rate in that format. It's enough rate for Ship, so it'll probably go there. (Backup on Goose or Birds is rough because they'll only get the Doran ability until end of turn, tho...)
Cool!

I agree that backing up a goose or bop isn't great because the Doran ability only lasts a turn, but the goose gets upgraded to Seacoast Drake stats permanently. As we all know, Seacoast Drake was the best card in M14, so this is some true power!