Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

Sorry to double-post, but they fixed Lethal Scheme and I couldn't be happier! That card was super dumb in execution, but the idea was definitely worth salvaging.

mani75d7d1ra1.jpg

The art isn't nearly as cool, but that's the price you gotta pay for balance, I guess.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
Attacking and damaging players, creatures, even planeswalkers makes sense. But how can you attack and damage a fight itself? Akward. When I play "Invasion of Ravnica", I'm not the invader but an opponent of my choice. Akward. Yet I as the caster get an arbitrary bonus effect just for doing it, that mostly seems in no way connected to the invasion. Akward.
“I declare a battle! Creatures, go seize that hill/fort that the opponent is defending!”The battlefield was always defended by the opponent; you’re just a wizard spending mana to analyze the battlefield and discover new tactics.

but yeah it’s a “square circle” thing as Zoss and Mapi said.

The whole card type feels very abstract. Where as creatures, artifact, sorcery, enchantment ... all make perfect flavor sense. I kinda hope that battles are a failure and they end up shelving them just like Tribal.
I think there might be some rose colored glasses here. 1997 magic players be like “Please explain what Instant (n.) is, and how I’m supposed to assume that Instant (n.) connotes small s sorcery when Sorcery (n.) already exists.” And “If you’re making Equipment why aren’t we errata’ing Helm of Awakening, isn’t that obviously a piece of equipment?” Not to mention “wait you mean this Planeswalker gets less loyal to me the cooler its spell is? Jace is keeping track of my tab in the middle of this battle? seriously?”

Not saying you suddenly have to like battles or hate instants, just offering another perspective.

Chris

I love double faced cards as a concept. To answer your question.

However I always hope to see the back side of a double-faced card to be a very simple one. Tapped land. Volcanic Hammer. A 4/4 flying Dragon. Let them be SO EASY to remember after reading them a single time. A Glorious Anthem.

I am open to battles. Let’s see what they can do to the gameplay. And let’s see what other subtypes they have waiting for us.

I think it is a good thing that you, the owner of the battle, has planned for the battle to be defeatable when you put cards into your deck. Sometimes an opposing planeswalker is near impossible to best because you didn’t plan for it.

Last edited:
I would love the conception of battles where you put them in the middle of the battlefield for all players to "win", like a specific part of the field of battle overall where there's a prize to be won. By being the player of the battle, you get first crack at it, and the ETB effect at least. It presents the kind of feedback WotC seems to avoid - giving your opponent stuff is not a downside they're terribly hot on these days - but it flavorfully makes more sense to me than giving your opponent...your siege?

Where do you guys plan to physically place the battles you cast on the table?

I am thinking a bit to the side, facing me but closer to opponent than me.

Also is it 100 % confirmed that Tribal is no longer a card type? I never checked.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
“I declare a battle! Creatures, go seize that hill/fort that the opponent is defending!”The battlefield was always defended by the opponent; you’re just a wizard spending mana to analyze the battlefield and discover new tactics.

but yeah it’s a “square circle” thing as Zoss and Mapi said.

I think there might be some rose colored glasses here. 1997 magic players be like “Please explain what Instant (n.) is, and how I’m supposed to assume that Instant (n.) connotes small s sorcery when Sorcery (n.) already exists.” And “If you’re making Equipment why aren’t we errata’ing Helm of Awakening, isn’t that obviously a piece of equipment?” Not to mention “wait you mean this Planeswalker gets less loyal to me the cooler its spell is? Jace is keeping track of my tab in the middle of this battle? seriously?”

Not saying you suddenly have to like battles or hate instants, just offering another perspective.
Out of all of this I mostly think 'loyalty' is badly named. Full agree that battles are awkward flavor-wise and don't feel like battles. Maybe the mechanics are solid enough to justify. One of the best things about Netrunner was that everything could be "attacked", so more permanents that interact with the combat step is a plus in my books.

landofMordor

Administrator
additional design thoughts about battles:
1. Attacking a planeswalker allows you to trade Damage for (virtual) Card Advantage. Attacking your Battle allows you to trade Damage for Mana Advantage (in the form of that 0-mana thing that's usually worth more than what you paid for the battle).
2. I keep wondering whether that trade will be worthwhile, especially on the 4- and 5-defense Battles. Is the mana advantage worth 20-25% of the opponent's life total? On battle back-sides like the Enchantment that slowly gives you 2/1 Spirits, that calculus seems pretty unfavorable.
3. Then I remember that some people are evaluating the Defense number as 3-4% of their opponents' -- plural -- life total (3 opponents with 40 life). That... really changes things.

that actually gives me a little more confidence in the card type. If the numbers are flexible enough to be priced for EDH or 1v1, that's a good sign. Also makes me feel more comfortable evaluating the 4- and 5-defense battles based on their front face, with the backside as free-but-situational upside in 1v1.

I think you missed part of the metaphor, Ravnic — when you cast Invasion of Ravnica, you're the invader, and Guildpact Paragon is your prize/the reason why you're invading. The initial effect is your declaration that you're pursuing that goal, and they can block your forces because that represents them foiling your plans.
And Invasion of New Phyrexia shows Teferi's assault on New Phyrexia with his forces from Zhalfir in his devious plot to attempt to steal Phyrexia's Teferi?

I am extremely confident in saying that you are way off the mark. All of the Invasion battles represent the caster as the defender in the battle; all of the backsides display a triumph against Phyrexia.
Phyrexia’s largest goliaths stormed Ikoria, ready to challenge the world’s great monsters. Zilortha was unimpressed.
Shandalar’s wild magic stripped away the unnatural Phyrexian carapaces, reclaiming the true forms hidden underneath.
“The Phyrexians are fools if they believe they can weather such a storm.”
—Sarkhan Vol

If the battles actually had a Phyrexian POV the backside would have converted zombie robots, not inspirational quotes about how much of a failure you are.

xerexstrobeknight.jpg

Love this design. Seems like a cool prowess payoff with legs in other archetypes. Maybe this is an Eggs card?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Onderzeeboot

Okay wow weird. Did Wizards forget to put it on the reminder text?
I think they (incorrectly) expected Atraxa to see play in Standard mostly, and tribal is a really old card type that is (probably) never going to be relevant in Standard anymore. Including it in the reminder text would probably confuse newer players more than leaving it off confuses enfranchised players, I guess.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
if even I'm having such difficulty saying if this is actually going to end up better in the average scenario than Bitter Reunion, how is someone who's not spending an hour a day thinking about or playing Magic going to?
Those are rookie numbers man, you gotta pump those up!

The whole card type feels very abstract. Where as creatures, artifact, sorcery, enchantment ... all make perfect flavor sense. I kinda hope that battles are a failure and they end up shelving them just like Tribal.
I....you want all these cards to just be bad? You just want them to print more cards you can't use?

I would love the conception of battles where you put them in the middle of the battlefield for all players to "win", like a specific part of the field of battle overall where there's a prize to be won.
All Sieges work the same like the battles we've seen, but given the siege subtype I can absolutely see this in the next commander product.
2RR, battle - Melee
ETB Goad all creatures, 8 hp
Whoever wins the battle gets an enchantment with "creatures not attacking me have double strike"

Boom, done. Not for me, terrible in 1v1, but :edh: