Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

Wrenn's Resolve is a rethemed Reckless Impulse, so it's mostly relevant if you're on singleton.

Burning Sun's Fury is one of the cards I looked at and thought were kind of cool, but I was probably overrating.

Atraxa's Fall might actually be a consideration after I bring out the sharpie.

I really enjoyed how Vicious Offering played in retail draft, but it never felt quite good enough to include in my cube. I could see running Flourish if I dialed my power back any (which I'm currently exploring). Big fan of this one.
Jokes on you I only run bad cards!

More specifically I'm trying to explore how to get a "5 color artifact (kinda) matters" going. Being able to incidentally sacrifice a clue or food token sounds really fun.

There's lots of mad people online about this sheet, particularly considering how many uncommon legends were included that already got the special treatment. While I don't disagree with the notion that it's a disappointment to "re-use" a treatment like that when it could go to other characters, the parameters they put on themselves for "legends that are alive at the time of the story that are being pulled in to help the fight" does complicate matters a bit. All the same, I wish we had seen some downgrades in rarity of other cards to fill this out, even though I don't resent WotC in the slightest for any decisions around this particular sheet.

I know he's been dead for thousands of years in lore but how sick would this have been to open in your Legends slot in the Kamigawa frame?

The way I see the flavor behind the battle cards that makes sense to me:

Me (the owner of the battle card) is the resistance against Phyrexia. My opponent is Phyrexia. I am the hero of my own story. When I win a battle, I get to see what happens when I win against Phyrexia. If I don’t win a battle against my opponent, then I don’t get to see what happens when I defeat Phyrexia on a certain plane.

This is also why they are called sieges. I have to defeat their siege of the plane.

Everyone who casts a battle is the hero of the story and represents the resistance against Phyrexia’s siege of the plane.

Last edited:
THIS is what I’m talking about, hell yeah!! I really love these cards

The Oblivion Rings where always too much all or nothing to me. Huge advantage when resolved, huge blowout when destroyed. This is a perfect middle for me.

This is one of the burn spells I have talking about that I hoped they would do. Very elegant if you ask me.

The new Broken Wings is sorcery speed but flexible enough that I think my players can run it in a draft deck. I also like that it is sorcery speed because instant speed removal kills combat tricks.

Tokens are out!

I'm officially taking off my "Watching" list for the set because of this:

en_972877273e.png

Not only is it ugly as sin, but I cannot mentally handle having two different 2/1 tokens for Ragavan in my token box, nor can I handle "just using the one Ragavan token for both instances" when it's wrong and there's a non-zero chance it'll make for a minor gameplay issue. It's already one thing that the game's Legends rule doesn't account for this kind of multiversal nonsense!

I'm not even a fraction as heated as I sound about this, but if we aren't embracing our neurotic tendencies around card selection / taxonomy / indexing, to what end are we curating cubes in the first place??

Does this beat the Hamburger from Unfinity?
b95643f5-16f8-4ea6-8328-b3c227d87d83.jpg