Card/Deck Moxen

After having my eyes opened to the wonders of the gold-bordered world (thanks!), I placed an order on, among other things, a Chrome Mox. Now I'm curious as to how you would rank the different Moxen, as well as general thoughts about them.

I don't want to include the proper Moxen; however, we've played with Jack-in-the-Mox for a while. Specifically, I'm wondering how you would rank that compared to stuff like Diamond/Chrome. Is the blow chance along with practically tapping for a colorless enough to keep it in check, or is it better? It might soon reach the point where the novelty has worn off for us, and it's going out. I mean, variance and power disparity is the reason why I won't include the original five, and I'm not sure having additional variance in the opposite direction really tackles any of those concerns.

This came to mind after a game which went: land, jack-in-the-mox, signet -> land, signet, tinker for battlesphere. This is not very likely, but completely off par for an unpowered cube (although it was readily answered by doom blade -> animate dead).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jack in the Mox is strong, but aggravating to play with most of the time.
Mox Diamond is my favorite, not only because it fixes mana properly, but discarding a land is usually easier than exiling a card most of the time, and the side interactions with cards like life from the loam.

I'd venture Tinker is more at fault there than the moxen involved, since name another 3 drop which wins the game unmolested on turn 2 :p

Yeah, tinker is a recent addition since I recently added a bunch of artifacts, so I felt it was worthwhile at last. Considering the cube started as a more or less random hotchpotch of cards I had, finding upgrades has always been easy and a goal. However, I think it's time to put on the brakes very soon, if not now, hence why I ended up here.

CML

Contributor
Jack-in-the-Mox, though hilarious, is also OP as fuck and should be treated accordingly

Mox Diamond may be the best p1p1 in my Cube

Mox Opal might actually be only 'OK' in an artifact cube due to curve

Chrome Mox is kinda sucky, though as it used to be used as a fair card back in the dark ages it might well have its uses. Someone post a deck with Chrome Mox?

Someone post a deck with Chrome Mox?

I've just used it in some aggro decks to just play from 2+, and it lets you keep clunky top-heavy hands with a little less sweat rather than land-heavy hands with a little less sweat. It's certainly not always great and clearly has no extra interactions like discarding a land can, but it plays the same when you don't have those interactions.

I have a durdle rule in my cube that the person who wins the 8-man at the end of each month can choose a card to be in the cube for the next month, as long as it is sweet in some form. Last year we had this gem

Good times.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I love Chrome Mox, first pick it over almost everything (would take it over Jitte any day) and play it close to 100% of the time.

Moxen as a land alternative hahahahaah. Man the curve in magic's more refined selections is such an important piece of balance, just fucking with the number of land drops you get on one turn is so so influential. What a cool game.

I can't help but wonder how I would make a cube if I were to include 2 copies of each oldschool mox in it and probz skip the rest of the power 20 or so. It sounds like it'd be a real top down environment where I would probably not be sticking so close to staples as I might think.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Moxen as a land alternative hahahahaah. Man the curve in magic's more refined selections is such an important piece of balance, just fucking with the number of land drops you get on one turn is so so influential. What a cool game.

I can't help but wonder how I would make a cube if I were to include 2 copies of each oldschool mox in it and probz skip the rest of the power 20 or so. It sounds like it'd be a real top down environment where I would probably not be sticking so close to staples as I might think.

I still say utility power draft without sol ring or recall is the best way to run moxen.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to engineer an environment where Workshop is actually powerful. I also think you may want to have your cardpool be disproportionately blue/black and filled with disruption.

CML

Contributor
Where do we come down on Balance?

s-FAIR-BALANCED-large.jpg

thats true about anything
Of course. But running Balance with a bunch of sac outlets like Gargadon, Zuran Orb, etc makes it a lot more onesided then if you run it without cards that can abuse it to its fullest. I don't have much of a problem with Balance myself.

CML

Contributor
Balance is the biggest green hoser ever printed. Just wrath 'em for 4 and it's good enough, mind twist and geddon too for 2 less is GOD WHAT A DEAL IS IT STILL BLACK FRIDAY

Man, it might be the Dane shining through, but that first paragraph just screamed sarcasm to me; which is sharply countered by the second paragraph. Color me confused!

Balance isn't much of a problem for us, save for the pairing with Gargantuan. And thanks for all the comments, even when it's not dealing with Moxen :)