Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

If the goal is to get a bunch of lands in play, would it maybe be more natural to let blue contribute with expensive spells and X-spells?
I think RUG is the natural triad for lands because of this. Card draw = more lands in hand to utilize, especially flashy X draw spells, and then the big top end finishers are naturally drawn to lots of lands in play.

All 5 dragons leaked:

wYQ-S4Xh4SZsT9KB1Q8ciSPWB9au4VtI2o4NKvFOQ38.jpg

All 5 are seriously playable. The black one is certainly my favorite of all the recent attempts to make an impactful 5 drop in the color, and while it's not a strict upgrade for most of my five-drops in white, I'm a big fan of both of Ao's death triggers in addition to being nearly satisfied with a slightly improved Serra Angel on the front-end.

Like with MH2's Incarnations, I think the Mardu ones are the most interesting for cube environments, and for my cube, all of them would be appropriate on a power-level basis. I can't imagine the obscured information on Kairi that would make me interested in her, and I'd rather not have a beefy flier with upside in green from a color pie perspective, but I'm certainly going to make room for the remaining three.

I like death triggers in general, as it makes them feel more like creatures first rather than "a body stapled to a sorcery", and the modality here gives flexibility without gumming up the board complexity wise.

Very cool cycle, can't wait to see the alternate arts for the rest of them.

Green grabs nonbasic lands, which is big.

White confirms vehicles and has some great effects. I feel like this is going to be a great topend for aggro decks and can help bridge the dichotomy between White decks that want sweepers and White decks that do not want sweepers due to playing a lot of creatures. Also, more vehicles will provide another way to integrate these two archetypes, which is to my mind the largest problem that White faces in cube.

Blue could be good depending on what the number is? Ward 3 is big game, or at least I guess it is due to Imryth being virtually untouchable at conditional Ward 4. This seems like a premium control finisher with guaranteed card advantage, something that's harder to get on most of the rest.

-----

I'm going to have to rework my "exile to destroy" ratio for these and I won't regret it.

MaRo's Duelist Teaser is up!
MaRo said:
efore previews for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• two different pairings of creature types get tribally connected

• a black instant with “Destroy target creature or planeswalker” that can be cast for two mana

• a popular legendary creature from Champions of Kamigawa block returns in a new form

• an unnamed mechanic that cares about you having two things that Magic has had since its beginning

• finish of a five-card cycle many years in the making

• one of Tamiyo’s children gets a legendary creature card

• a new creature token with an ability not seen before on a card

• two popular cycles from Champions of Kamigawa block return each with a new twist

• a creature that makes a legendary Frog creature token

• two new Yamazakis

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “you may cast target enchantment from your graveyard this turn.”

• “where X is the number of times this ability has resolved this turn.”

• “Whenever you cast an artifact, instant, or sorcery spell, copy that spell.”

• “The first activated ability of an artifact you activate each turn costs 2 less to activate.”

• “Then repeat this process for an enchantment and a planeswalker.”

• “You may sacrifice a permanent that shares a card type with the chosen card.”

• “you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control.”

• “The ‘legend rule’ doesn’t apply to permanents you control.”

• “that ability triggers an additional time.”

• “if it has dealt 10 or more damage to that player this turn, they lose the game.”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Fox Pilot

• Creature – Turtle Ninja

• Creature – Moonfolk Samurai

• Artifact Creature – Goblin Artificer

• Artifact Creature – Ogre Warrior

• Enchantment Creature – Rat Rogue

• Enchantment Creature – Egg

• Legendary Creature – Kirin Spirit

• Legendary Creature – Goblin Samurai

• Legendary Enchantment Creature – Snake Druid

So just a couple things I want to hit on here:

MaRo said:
• a popular legendary creature from Champions of Kamigawa block returns in a new form

• two popular cycles from Champions of Kamigawa block return each with a new twist

• two new Yamazakis

• Legendary Creature – Kirin Spirit
Looks like there are many returning themes and characters from Champions of Kamigawa, which is really nice,

MaRo said:
• a black instant with “Destroy target creature or planeswalker” that can be cast for two mana
Hopefully the drawback here isn't too steep. I really liked Baleful Mastery at first but I'd kind of like a replacement because I find it somewhat uninteresting. If this card is good I might swap it out (or just play both?)

MaRo said:
• finish of a five-card cycle many years in the making[/quote=MaRo]
Not sure what this is going to be but I'm excited!

MaRo said:
• Creature – Turtle Ninja
• Creature – Moonfolk Samurai
[/quote=MaRo]
Looks like they're bleeding some of the more color-specific class types into new parts of the pie (Samurai moving into Blue and Ninjutsu moving into Green). This is exciting!

MaRo said:
• Artifact Creature – Goblin Artificer
• Artifact Creature – Ogre Warrior
• Enchantment Creature – Rat Rogue
• Enchantment Creature – Egg
• Legendary Enchantment Creature – Snake Druid[/quote=MaRo]
Looks like this is actually going to be Artifact Creatures VS Enchantment Creatures: The Set. Considering the fact that I love both of these things, I am very excited! Artifact Ninja and Enchantment Samurai let's goooooo!

i’d honestly like an exile option in black at two mana, but the black kill spell will probably still be good unless the drawback is really harsh

MaRo's Duelist Teaser is up!

~~words~~

• an unnamed mechanic that cares about you having two things that Magic has had since its beginning

I'm going to guess this is a mechanic about having both artifacts and enchantments, which fits with what I called earlier about this being an artifact + enchantment set! I can assure you that this insight is due solely to KEEN DEDUCTIVE REASONING and not at all the result of confirmation bias.

Coincidentally, I made a mechanic like this a while back called Unity, which was kind of like a reverse Delirium in that it rewarded you for having four or more types of permanents in play. Given that lands are virtually omnipresent and that creatures are relatively easy for both decks, it wound up playing pretty similarly to this (hypothetical) mechanic. I'd be glad to (hopefully) see that this wasn't a crazy idea!

Thank you for posting this @TrainmasterGT

This was the least surprising on the list:
“A popular legendary creature from Champions of Kamigawa block returns in a new form.”

This is my personal most excited:
“Finish of a five-card cycle many years in the making.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Jin-Gitaxias is a Phyrexian, thank you :p
Not just any one Phyrexian though, rather an important one :p After Vorinclex showing up on Kaldheim, I thought it might be nice to point out the fact that this is another one of the praetors roaming about the multiverse.

Not just any one Phyrexian though, rather an important one :p After Vorinclex showing up on Kaldheim, I thought it might be nice to point out the fact that this is another one of the praetors roaming about the multiverse.
I was just trying to be funny :p "Still 'a' Praetor" did he say ;) :p

But thank you. I could have described it more precisely but I didn't want to to keep the mystery.

Did we ever learn how Vorinclex planeswalked to Kaldheim from New Phyrexia?

Last edited:
That art is a lot more He-Man than any ninja I've ever seen before.

(That's a good thing, by the way. Variety!)

52n21k2zkqd81.png

Not a new card, but holy snot this is a good-looking showcase variant. Also, that first ability will wreck your opponent's board presence, and ward means they almost certainly won't have the mana to redeploy that turn.