Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

i like that he provides extra redundancy for Sneak/Show/Tinker/Norder cheaty archetypes in ye fixed-MTGO-vintage type cubes while looking very cool doing it. not at all interested for my own cubes but would totally test in cubes where you get to cheat

20211224_181205.jpg

Ok so 1) weho ninjutsu, 2) what in gods name is up with that ability. Eldrazis on turn 4 anyone?
He feels like a good enabler for MTGO/MTGS style Vintage/Legacy Cube reanimator decks with Looter Il-Kor and Suspicious Stowaway.

I kind of want to test this as weird reanimator redundancy for my Cube, but my gut feeling is that he's way swinger than anything I would normally like. He requires you to be able to have an unblocked attacker on turn 4 in UBx, which is one of the least likely color combinations for said achievement. Likewise, the good cheat targets in my cube are almost all green, with the exception of Archon of Cruelty.

In short, this is a good card for MTGO type Cubes, but not any Cube that values cards that can consistently do their thing. I like the design, though.

Reactions: dbs
Yeah, this guy is spicy. I like the fact this guy gives my Dimir section something else to do besides another "steal your stuff" card. I *do* like those but the guild has plenty of those already. This is really nice alternative but still feels like a very Dimir thing to do to someone.

re: T4 Eldrazi...Yes, this card certainly can SLAP as well. Takes some set up and a non-zero amount of luck to get there but so does Sneak Attack most of the time. I think I will replace Dragonlord Silumgar with this and probably never look back.

I'm also really digging these one-card draft-arounds. Another (I think) was Dream Devourer. The card just changes how your entire deck plays. I think that's pretty cool and gives a lot of flexibility and a lot of reward when it works as intended. I tend to like cards like this in my cube. These types of cards don't always last but they are fun to try out.

He feels like a very fair way of incorporating a cheat strategy--he's both resistant to (toughness-based) removal and has a few interesting hoops to jump through, so I'm going to try him out. Traditionally, these enablers have either come out of nowhere (Reanimate) or been really hard to attack for most decks (Sneak Attack), which aren't the games I want to play. I'd rather have the game revolve around "is the opponent playing like they have a payoff" rather than "what jumpscare subtype am I going to see" because while the latter is fun for the villain in this particular horror movie, it's not nearly as much fun for the hunted. Of course, I don't run hand disruption due to its tendency to ruin the games in which you don't see these unfair strats and that's coloring my thoughts here, but I suspect I'm not alone in that. If I did, I'd probably be more interested in the traditional cheating enablers, but I'm not, so this seems like a fun alternative.

Edit: evidently I hit the eggnog a little too hard last night. I could have sworn this made sense when I typed it out.

Last edited:
If you think Yuriko's price is funny, the price of Retrofitter Foundry will make you lol. It's the same Legacy Ninja deck driving the price too.

I liked the equinox arts, but Satoru might be the first time I splurge on a variant. Love me some Yoji Shinkawa. I also expect art from Yusuke Murata (One Punch Man) and Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy) based on these. Kentaro Miura (Berserk) would have been just about perfect. RIP.

Yeah. A good 5 color card without trinket text of "this card can be your commander"? Fake.

Nah but seriously, it's probably fake cuz it's missing the important text - Sacrifice after III
All other Sagas have that (or IV), and it wouldn't skip it because you sacrifice after III so it's not going to conflict with the exile on chapter three. So if you stifle the third chapter it just stays on the field forever ticking up lore counters? That's just weird.

Last edited:
Nah but seriously, it's probably fake cuz it's missing the important text - Sacrifice after III
All other Sagas have that (or IV), and it wouldn't skip it because you sacrifice after III so it's not going to conflict with the exile on chapter three. So if you stifle the third chapter it just stays on the field forever? That's just weird.
I think that that part of the reminder text gets left off for clarity as it's not relevant the overwhelming majority of the time--there's a precedent of reminder text emphasizing clarity over accuracy, with Obsidian Fireheart being the prime example. Regardless, I'd expect that these transforming Sagas will be the only Sagas in the set, so they'll have a consistent transforming effect.

O-Kagachi seems strange, but at least it's better than that crappy Kyodai we saw a little while ago.

I think I've put my finger on why it feels off — it has the "O-Kagachi is all colors" trinket text instead of a color indicator. Which is kinda weird...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think I've put my finger on why it feels off — it has the "O-Kagachi is all colors" trinket text instead of a color indicator. Which is kinda weird...
I know it's not entirely comparable, because it's not a DFC, but Sphinx of the Guildpact has the same line.

All other Sagas have that (or IV), and it wouldn't skip it because you sacrifice after III so it's not going to conflict with the exile on chapter three. So if you stifle the third chapter it just stays on the field forever ticking up lore counters? That's just weird.
I'm with Zoss on this one. Reminder text has no actual relevance to how a card works, it just helps players understand the cards better. In this case the default use case is the card transforming, and it would only be confusing if they left that part in. If for some reason you can't transform the card, it will still be sacrificed. In fact, the fact that the reminder text is slightly different to accommodate for the expected play pattern makes this leak more believable for me.

The O-Kagachi leak in particular, also neatly explains what's going on in this earlier leak.

If these cards are indeed real, that Nezumi has to be an exciting option for my cube. Such a neat intersection between artifacts matter and ninja's :)

these leaks are better left ignored, the card will get spoiled properly if it’s real sooner or later

Leaks are leaks. Either we want to look at them even though Wizards don’t intend us to. Of we don’t.

I don’t think there is an expiration date on them. As in ‘When the leak is THIS close to the normal spoiler day then it shouldn’t be looked upon.’

Or if there is, then I believe it is personal and will vary from person to person.