Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

I could see the sacrifice after III being left out for clarity, I was able to find a reminder text being left out/changed recently in Blink Dog and Teferi, Timeless Voyager because his -8 makes them come in after your next turn. So I could see it, but I still find it weird since Sagas have been pretty uniform, they didn't need the text to fit tightly (same number of lines, 4 and 4), and phasing is weird :p
So yeah I'll concede this one.
(I also don't have the greatest track record for speculation, I probably should've started with, dang that's a cool card I hope its real!).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Here we go, I am conflicted for the first time. I love that Nezumi mechanically, but I'm not sure I will be able to get along with those kind of art works.
I mean, it's on par with some of Mirrodin's or Esper's denizens.

I feel you though, it definitely is a departure from the typical fantasy art direction in Magic sets, partly because of the backdrop as well.

Well, you are not wrong. Maybe the fact that it is former Kamigawa, the more cgi art style or the holographic thing on his arm make this feel a little more extreme to me. But I'll do my best to get comfortable with this new old world.

I mean, it's on par with some of Mirrodin's or Esper's denizens.

I feel you though, it definitely is a departure from the typical fantasy art direction in Magic sets, partly because of the backdrop as well.

But Mirrodin was so cool because it was:

1. On-par with the flavor. A planeswalker who specialized in artifacts created a sentient golem who in return created a 100 % artificial plane and put one sentient god on it: Mirari who became Memnarch. Memnarch in return populated the plane with artificial life (myr) and over time the plane evolved (while the god also turned mad by Phyrexia but this is another topic all together)

2. Not already an ancient plane that now turned cyberpunk.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, Kamigawa already had a place in our hearts, and they definitely changed the look and feel of it. At least parts of it, at least. I guess there is a real difference between "here's a new plane, its theme is metal!" and "here's a plane you loved that we haven't visited in a while, we turned it metal though!" There's definitely glimpses of old Kamigawa showing in the card so far though. The Nezumi may look like it came straight from a cyberpunk story, it is still a Nezumi. It's a bit uncanny valley, since there's obviously a connection between this version of Kamigawa and the old Kamigawa, but we're clearly not in the same timeline.

Well, you are not wrong. Maybe the fact that it is former Kamigawa, the more cgi art style or the holographic thing on his arm make this feel a little more extreme to me. But I'll do my best to get comfortable with this new old world.
The fact it's an artifact makes the art style much more palatable on this one, for me.

The Saga Dragon has no rarity symbol on the back?

Yeah, that seems... off.

I also question the fact that one of the cards is in Italian. And the fact that there's one card of each rarity...

enchantment creature - dragon spirit is too big! {T}
But I feel like they would cut dragon or spirit before they cut the rarity symbol {Q}
But the flavor! {T}
But ineffable blessingD {Q}
I feel like this'll function the exact same as the reminder text ruling but yeah that's a good point {T}
I feel like we should drop this {Q}
But the best part of riptide lab is the incredibly offtopic conversations! {T}
Yeah that's a good point {Q}

With sagas and artifact creatures in the set, I wonder if historic will be in. It fits with the flavor of old vs. new and og kamigawa had a legends theme too.
i would love for sagas and historic to be in new kamigawa! Reki and Time of Need are two of my favorite cards from the old block and could absolutely be reprinted or referenced in Future Kamigawa. plus sagas are just a super good card type

A Saga that flips into a creature just makes sense for Kamigawa to me. Mythology and legend were very core to the flavor of the original block ranging from the excellent short story vignettes to the sense of ancient history with the art and kami. We'll see if and how they execute something that can pay proper homage when spoilers roll around.

that rat unironically looks like a digimon
trying to draw any parallels between it and the denizens of mirrodin or esper actually offends me

I'll be disappointed if I can't cube any of the sagas because they're all DFCs.

lv4hs3wz9i981.jpgjci91ix07i981.jpg

Assuming these are real, we will see some powerful lands. And legendary?? I am not going to delve into the topic again more than just asking this one question: Why were the Castles not legendary or The World Tree? It can only mean that we will see a legendary theme in Kamiga: Neon Dynasty.

Assuming these are real, there will be no bushido this time around. Otherwise the tokens would have bushido, right?

Well, OG Kamigawa was *the* Legends Matter set so that stands to reason they'd do it again this time. 100% the Eldraine lands should've been Legendary I never did understand that. The cycle with Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle should've been Legendary too imo. /Baffled

Won't miss Bushido; it's a very boring mechanic and just doesn't scale up very well in my experience. All the constant combat mathwork is a little exhausting. (Flanking Tribal would be the same thing...sounds REALLY COOL but it's just a pain to keep up with. More than I care to bother with, anyway.)

Neo-Eiganjo looks pretty playable to me. Don't much care for the black one (Takenuma) for mine but it would be fine in a lot of cubes.

Uprising is not interesting to me. I just....don't want to do that in a game of Magic? Easy pass.

Assuming these are real, there will be no bushido this time around. Otherwise the tokens would have bushido, right?

I would be neither surprised nor sorry to not see Bushido return. My call is that they'll probably include at least one card with the same ability as Bushido as a callback but they won't have it as a named mechanic because it's not good in large quantities. I'll miss the flavor, but in terms of gameplay I'd call this a win, given that WotC can make a new mechanic in it's stead.

Channel on legendary lands is freaking incredible, love it. It's like having a MDFC without having to flip it, and I love MDFCs. Plus, if we take the leaks as accurate, they seem actually pretty playable.

The uprising just reads "XWR: deal 2X points of damage to your opponent. Deal 3X points of damage instead if you have an anthem." Right? If so, I don't need a burn spell that only goes face. :edh: