Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

I'll be reevaluating the potential for artifact and enchantment themes after the whole set's out. Getting decent density for both from this set, which is nice.

I don't love the cyberpunk theme for Kamigawa overall, but it really works with the vehicles. They all look pretty cool.

Reactions: dbs
View attachment 6568

Thank you, O-Ring With Set's Mechanic! It's a bit of a bummer that this doesn't trigger Prowess on the ability, but I think this is fantastic for cubes willing to run third-tier removal.
i don’t think this is necessarily third tier removal, it’s VERY close to straight-up Banishing Light with upside in Artisan
EDIT; and i love it

Actually, I think Worship is great. It is a great example of a powerful card, which in the end requires a workaround or answer. It is even better because it does not demand an immediate answer and it is not a clock on it's own.

It forces a cube curator to include answers. It shows players that threats can be non-creatures. It turns the game upside down, it is even not a must answer now or die.

It is bad when there are no answers/workarounds, but that holds for any powerful card.

Don't disagree with any of it and I really *do* love those 're-set the rules' types of cards. I actually picked up a Tombstone Stairwell a few months ago but it showed up and I chickened out.

Also just remembered I run Moat(!) in my own powered environment. My list started mostly as a carbon copy of WtWlf123's list but I've never taken it out. I see some major similarities w/Worship to be honest so I may be a bit of a hypocrite, lol. I've never taken it out though....I keep hoping someone will draft a bunch of fliers with it but it hasn't happened yet. May be time to come out!

I'll be reevaluating the potential for artifact and enchantment themes after the whole set's out. Getting decent density for both from this set, which is nice.

I don't love the cyberpunk theme for Kamigawa overall, but it really works with the vehicles. They all look pretty cool.
I swore off doing "card type matters" archetypes beyond "noncreature spells matter," but this set is making me reconsider my position on those archetypes. Ux Artifact Pile could give my blue section some depth it's currently missing as a primary color, and enchantress is cool.

The big problem with enchantress (as I have outlined several times before) is that the best enchantment payoffs don't tend to come down until the stage in the game after you want to cast all of your early enchantments. As cool as Eidolon of Blossoms and Archon of Sun's Grace are, they just don't do the work they need to do on a consistent basis. While making these cards cheaper could help, it appears WOTC might be taking an alternative strategy. If we could trigger constellation an additional time for free the turn these enter the battlefield, they would be great. And it looks like WOTC might be helping us here! Take a look at this:
en_qkixzKwLq3.jpg

Notice something? Here, I'll show you what I'm talking about:
Convoluted Set Booster Contents said:
1x Ukiyo-e Land, Basic Land, or Common Dual Land

Still didn't see it?
Convoluted Set Booster Contents said:
Common Dual Land

Common dual land.

Now there's a chance these are going to be Thornwood Falls type cards or some other bad dual land from core sets. But I'd like to pose an alternative theory: what if these are common Enchantment lands? We just saw the Bridges in Modern Horizons 2, which were indestructible artifact lands. Those cards really haven't caused any problems anywhere. What if WOTC is using this set as a chance to introduce (non-saga) Enchantment Lands to magic? It would fit with the set and setting, letting WOTC show off idyllic portions of the old spirit Kamigawa while supporting the set's enchantment theme. It also lets WOTC help push enchantment decks in older formats, especially ones that play Constellation cards, without breaking limited or standard.

I'm like 50/50 on this but I think if WOTC prints enchantment lands I'm going to try Constellation again.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I was aimlessly mulling over an artifact Cube before this spoiler season. A few days ago, I was thinking I should just pause it until the whole set is spoiled because this is the artifact set I expected The Brothers' War to be. Now I'm wondering if I can properly support an artifact theme again in my main Cube as well. I had high hopes/stakes for this set given my love for OG Kamigawa and I'm really pleased so far

I'm like :100emoji: on this but I think if WOTC prints enchantment lands I'm going to try Constellation again.
I'm also considering a move to lower power, where this can work better, but I'm also feeling impulsive lately lol.
I'm wondering if I can properly support an artifact theme again in my main Cube as well.
The playable artifact density is way, way higher after this set. Same with enchantments, but it was much lower to begin with. The artifact+enchantment cards make it easier to implement a bit of both.

Don't disagree with any of it and I really *do* love those 're-set the rules' types of cards. I actually picked up a Tombstone Stairwell a few months ago but it showed up and I chickened out.

Also just remembered I run Moat(!) in my own powered environment. My list started mostly as a carbon copy of WtWlf123's list but I've never taken it out. I see some major similarities w/Worship to be honest so I may be a bit of a hypocrite, lol. I've never taken it out though....I keep hoping someone will draft a bunch of fliers with it but it hasn't happened yet. May be time to come out!
Up to you ofcourse, but it is just one card. What harm can it do?
The issue with cards like moat is that it is best if they are seeded in the first booster. If you get them in the last it is too late too switch gears.

Am I the only one who feels like this set is pretty high-powered so far? It feels a bit like a response to the "Kamigawa is underpowered" memes.

EDIT:

gravelighter.jpg

Like, look at this guy.
You’re not the only one who thinks this set is great. I think this is probably the most powerful Standard set since Eldraine. Honestly the only thing keeping it from
being more powerful is the fact that Eldraine had several ban-worthy broken cards whereas this set doesn’t initially appear to have any. The power level of the average card might actually be a little better, though.

Like I don’t even think Gravelighter makes it into the top 10 best cards in Neon Dynasty despite the fact that there are a ton of other sets where this would be a standout.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Am I the only one who feels like this set is pretty high-powered so far? It feels a bit like a response to the "Kamigawa is underpowered" memes.
No, no,

Like I don’t even think Gravelighter makes it into the top 10 best cards in Neon Dynasty despite the fact that there are a ton of other sets where this would be a standout.
Grace lighter wouldn't be a standout in most sets, there will always be enough rares and mythics that are simply better. It is, however, much better than previous iterations of this effect. Plaguecrafter was the previous best in school, but I think both the (evasive) body and the alternate effect are better. Like Throne of Eldraine before it, this set just seems like it has shifted up the lower boundary of its power band. I mean, just look at these commons, for example.

I mean, none of these feel like they absolutely can't be commons, but they are all just efficient cards that could have easily been tweaked to a lower power level by adding a mana or lowering a stat here or there. I think multiple cards in this list could have been printed at uncommon, and no one would have batted an eye.

I was aimlessly mulling over an artifact Cube before this spoiler season. A few days ago, I was thinking I should just pause it until the whole set is spoiled because this is the artifact set I expected The Brothers' War to be. Now I'm wondering if I can properly support an artifact theme again in my main Cube as well.

I think artifacts are a theme that go really well in Cube Occasionals. You can easily put all support and payoff into the same occasional to have them only show up together. You can probably leave some of the artifacts in the main cube and a few in the occasional to help the artifact density go up when you play with that specific occasional.

I am not sure it works with enchantments as well.

Yeah, sure, Mardu...

(OK, OK, there's a big difference between triggering on any creature and triggering on only your own creatures... but I got a chuckle out of the similarity.)

You don’t have to read this lengthy article (Come on Wizards..even your articles have gotten lengthier) but here it is if you wish to read about those two legendary creatures with almost the same card text:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/isshin-two-heavens-one-2022-02-02

No, no,

Grace lighter wouldn't be a standout in most sets, there will always be enough rares and mythics that are simply better. It is, however, much better than previous iterations of this effect. Plaguecrafter was the previous best in school, but I think both the (evasive) body and the alternate effect are better. Like Throne of Eldraine before it, this set just seems like it has shifted up the lower boundary of its power band. I mean, just look at these commons, for example.

I mean, none of these feel like they absolutely can't be commons, but they are all just efficient cards that could have easily been tweaked to a lower power level by adding a mana or lowering a stat here or there. I think multiple cards in this list could have been printed at uncommon, and no one would have batted an eye.
and i am so thankful they didn’t tweak them down… wow this set is a slam dunk for pauper and artisan

Speaking of which, holy madness on legs, Batman:

1OiX6E9Rbu5Fk0aJjz-WkRiQz9na8nvSXBBsvcaBlCQ.jpg

It definitely has upsides (can play at any point this turn, handles lands ;) ) and downsides (can't play creatures without flash on opponents' turns), but overall this is incredible glue. This is a Piker I can respect.

A Modern Update | Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

Pretty interesting video and only takes 8:38 to watch. It tells the story of how the old Kamigawa became the new and how the artifacts/enchantments mechanics came to be.

yeah i just posted the discardo roboto in the discord, and i’m still trying to wrap my head around all the crazy stuff it does.
this thing is gonna be an EASY singleton break in my artisan cube for sure