Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I agree on the colorless theory. It fits the set. Lands do not need to tap for <>, this is already represented by (1) in the mana pool. But a cost that requires specifically colorless has never been done (maybe some random card?), it makes sense as a the <> symbol.
Edit: apparently there more spoilers and I have no idea what they are. So I'm wrong.
Edit edit: actually I just forgot mirrorpool.

qRGL6ku.jpg

I can't figure out if that's as good as I think it is, or if I'm overrating some rather situational abilities. Probably can make at least a tier 2 deck in constructed though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm just sayin, saccing your felidar sovreign might be counterproductive :p

Also: Can we take a moment to appreciate how sparse white sac outlets are?

god wizards has got to stop trying to convince cube designers life gain is a fun and cool idea.....

I'm sorta making fun of us by calling them out.
But honestly they've put a lot of emphasis on life gain in the almost playables and commander cards of late and I feel like someone is trying to encourage you guys.

Plus the dumb WB theme in zendicars

Isn't it more like, WotC (like some of us?) has possibly had struggles with giving WB a clear identity so they're trying out stuff like enchantments (auras) and life gain?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Lifegain experiment was a huge learning experiment. I'm fine with failing out in the open.

What do you guys think about BFZ's lifegain subtheme?

It's been pretty successful. I haven't had a chance to draft the BW archetype, but one of my friends has done it a couple of times. It's been pretty strong for him. It buys a lot of time as a cushion to bridge them into the late game. It's pretty grindy just looking to stall and buy time before you chip shot them to death later or get in with a big Kalastria Nightwatch swing. Fliers are quite strong in this format, so stuff like Drana's Emissary and Malakir Familiar have been pretty good.

I feel like life gain was a good learning bump but I always worry about people designing boring packages for their cubes in multicolour the way wizards does with its multicolour uncommons.

I feel like the fine print might look like this
I'm sorry if you're drafting a blue black deck that isn't tezzeret but you're gonna have a pretty rough time unless you decided to play 4 colours.

Plus you know me, I like to encourage players to focus on mechanics and synergies that expand gameplay and have depth, not ones that narrow your targets etc.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's been pretty successful. I haven't had a chance to draft the BW archetype, but one of my friends has done it a couple of times. It's been pretty strong for him. It buys a lot of time as a cushion to bridge them into the late game. It's pretty grindy just looking to stall and buy time before you chip shot them to death later or get in with a big Kalastria Nightwatch swing. Fliers are quite strong in this format, so stuff like Drana's Emissary and Malakir Familiar have been pretty good.

I've been meaning to write an article on my most recent BFZ sealed deck. I had Jaddi Offshoot, Drana's Emissary and Malakir Familiar as the only life gain cards, but it really felt right. It was a 4-color awaken / converge / ramp control deck, and the lifegain was pretty incidental, but sometimes Malakir Familiar was a 4/3 and you felt cool, while the life-gain was useful without being overwhelming.

Lifegain I think is in this weird spot where it works for limited and for DEDICATED (soul sisters) constructed decks, but not for something in between, which is where our cubes lie. That's not to say that it couldn't work in theory, but if they made cards that were good enough to work at a cube level, they'd probably be game-breaking in a dedicated constructed deck.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

We don't really have lifegain as a strategy here, but occasionally we have someone draft up one of the artifact decks and drop this dude into it. The results are always spectacular.

The funny thing is I would like that WB card MORE without that last ability because it's going to cause at least one of my drafters to go straight to durdleville trying to live the dream with 30+ life exiling everything.

I want the extra sac outlet because they are valuable but the baggage I'll be encouraging with this card I suspect isn't worth it unfortunately.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The funny thing is I would like that WB card MORE without that last ability because it's going to cause at least one of my drafters to go straight to durdleville trying to live the dream with 30+ life exiling everything.

I want the extra sac outlet because they are valuable but the baggage I'll be encouraging with this card I suspect isn't worth it unfortunately.

Hey man both are sac outlets