Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fangren Marauder is a beast! A beast I tell you!

I once flashed it into play in an EDH game (courtesy of Teferi) in response to an opponent casting Fracturing Gust with 11 artifacts on the board. That was quite epic ;)

I mean that's a shit ton of life to gain from cracking eggs. Wouldn't be surprised if some nutter put it in their power max cubes just to make that lotus pop feel even a touch juicier

CVlSv3YVEAAzl6s.jpg

okay so this answers some questions

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The most likely speculation I have heard so far is that <> is the new symbol for colorless mana, meaning that a reprint of, for example, Academy Ruins would now read:

{T}: Add <> to your mana pool.
{1}{U}, {T}: Put target artifact card from your graveyard on top of your library.

By putting a mana symbol on it they can split castings costs into generic mana and mana that has to be colorless (i.e. {1} vs. <>). This is actually quite exciting to me, because this is the explanation that best integrates the new Kozilek (and other cards that require <>) with existing cards. There are tons of cards that already produce colorless mana, and the prospect of new design space (artifacts that need colorless mana to be cast, for example) is awesome. Also, this would totally explain why reminder text isn't needed for these cards, which a theory like "you can spend this mana as any color on colorless cards" most likely would have needed. A symbol for colorless mana, that's so fricking elegant that it's crazy they didn't come up with it before! It just clicks, I'm excited!
Well... The most likely theory was right! Yaaaaaay!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
FK3t4Ch.jpg

Apparently translates to:
Mina and Denn, Wildborn 2RG
Legendary Creature - Elf Ally
You may play an additional land during each of your turns.
RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand; Target creature gains trample until end of turn.
4/4

Well, a different Oracle of Mul Daya is nice. I just wish it wasn't another RG 4-drop. That is pretty much all my RG slots are taken up with at this point and they are all better.

Huntmaster of the Fells
Ghor-Clan Rampager
Bloodbraid Elf

Also, from the Mystic Gate above and the new Oracle-izing of the {1} to (diamond?), almost confirms that it is the new 'colourless mana symbol'. Still seems really weird that they would do this mid-block, seems like something you would do at the start of a block. Also, rather convenient that none of the expeditions in BFZ produced colourless mana.

Oh, okay. I thought people had a consensus already on page 1. Onwards!

My speculation: BFZ was underpowered and a repeat of Kamigawa Failings, so this set will be The Fun Stuff, Finally. Though it could actually be the next block instead.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
OGW is 2/2 so far. I know no one else other than I likes Grove Rumbler, but I think this works even better for what I want to do then it does. It doesn't attack for 11+ trample are a scapeshift, but its a more interesting card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
OGW is 2/2 so far. I know no one else other than I likes Grove Rumbler, but I think this works even better for what I want to do then it does. It doesn't attack for 11+ trample are a scapeshift, but its a more interesting card.

2/5 btw, though wastes doesn't really count, so 2/4?

I mean call me crazy but your cube doesn't seem very Kozilek friendly. Maybe mirrorpool if this mystic gate spoiler is real, and <> works like we're all now assuming it does

wastes2.jpg

Also kozilek confirmed etc.

Some other confirmed stuff:
<> is the new 'colorless produced' symbol in magic. Sol ring now taps for <><>, etc.
<> cannot be added by birds of paradise/city of brass and so on, since it has no color.
Wastes has two arts and is packaged as a common, not a basic land, so it will be twice as common as any other common, and you can get two in a pack.
Whether or not wastes will be printed in future sets can't be commented on by wizards yet.

P.S. If you open a foil land, rare/mythic land, both wastes arts and your guaranteed basic you can get a 5-land pack. More if there are uncommon/other common lands. Sounds awful.