Sets (PIP) Fallout Commander Previews

This set is really not doing it for me. I guess that's to be expected when two of the deck themes are very parasitic like Voltron and Energy. At least they're not butchering characters I care about like with the Dr. Who set.

On an unrelated note, I do like this card:

This is basically a scalable Infest/Languish that leaves behind some radiation. And the art is good, unlike most of the other art from this set.

This set is really not doing it for me. I guess that's to be expected when two of the deck themes are very parasitic like Voltron and Energy. At least they're not butchering characters I care about like with the Dr. Who set.

On an unrelated note, I do like this card:

This is basically a scalable Infest/Languish that leaves behind some radiation. And the art is good, unlike most of the other art from this set.

Do we know what rad counters do or how they can be utilized ?

but wait, you have to choose which spell ends up getting cast at random. Not at all Snapcaster-like.

also i just today put together that you're reviewing these cards using wtwlf's headings, lol
When I do it it's generally with a bit of sarcasm, as was absolutely the case here. No shade to wtwlf but I find it's a useful format for being silly, though I may have used the format unironically before as well. Apologies if my tone wasn't obvious!

To be clear...that card is not like Snapcaster at all, but it has like...a 50% of playing out similarly if you have the exact situations the card demands. Not very good! I like it anyways, though.

pre-war formalwear.jpg

Time for an actual fantastic card.

Helping Hand has over-performed for me -- I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a slightly worse Unearth plays better in a color with three-drops like Adeline, Resplendent Cathar and Loran of the Third Path.

When people got excited over Call a Surprise Witness, I got it, but I didn't want to pay 2 mana for it.

But I do want to pay 3 for this. The base effect is good, and this does the Recommission thing where it turns a medium 2-drop into a more reasonable threat, eliminating a lot of the feelbad for the situations where you don't have a 3-drop in the yard. It can also be re-used as a clunky but fine piece of equipment later, blinked to be re-used, and helps support the white artifact synergies that WotC is increasingly printing.

Big fan, even if the art is more on the silly side than I'd prefer.

View attachment 9302

Time for an actual fantastic card.
Woah. I designed a custom that was a Zombify-type Living Weapon for 5 and it's really sweet to see the concept as a real card. Gonna be one hell of a creature.

Liking this with Brotherhood Outcast to start putting together a Wx yard equip archetype.

Also, that red Not Snapcaster looks ok for a power level quite a bit below the OG. Flash is pretty strong.

securitron_squadron.jpg

I adore it. There have been a few of this style of army-in-a-can cards at a similar rate over the last few years, but none of them have the explosive potential after casting that this one does. I like that it's an artifact creature, I like that it's worst-case as a 2/2 is still pumping all subsequent tokens, and I love how bomby it feels as a five-drop. New Vegas is safe with these guys around, that's for sure.

I will say though, like @TrainmasterGT said on Reddit, this can be super annoying, tracking-wise. I'm enough of a stickler about making sure folks use proper tokens that I think it should be OK, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye out for myself in practice.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1708576136742.png
Okay whew they did print it

1708576148095.png
You know, this is sweet art

1708576166072.png
This is interesting

1708576186373.png
Hilarious that this isn't a battle. It uses the old Palace Siege ktk styling, which is doubly funny because the only battle subtype we have right now is sieges. There's layers here.

1708576257661.png
This is a cool little guy.

1708576297647.png1708576301938.png
These are a bit wild to see! Squad is usually pretty expensive

1708576343501.png
This might have more of a constructed/canlander type thing, but this could have legs, this is very cheap

Edit: one more:
1708576402151.png
Fire up your Oni-Cult Anvils and go to town. Junk is sweet for a lot of the same reasons clues are sweet, but has different effects on how the game plays out, so I can see the appeal, and even if this is the only junk card in your cube this is still interesting, yet still vulnerable to not give minsc and boo vibes.

Also this thing:
1708576652644.png

To be fair, they did say it was important for their own IP. There’s no directives to not use guns in Universes Beyond.

I am not going to go back and find one or more of the m many times they have mentioned this policy but they were before Universes Beyond was even a thing so of course they couldn’t differentiate between their own IP and UB at that point because UB was not a thing in anyone’s head. They just said it was important that guns was never a real gun but a magic shootey thingey that cannot be real.

Mister-Gutsy-extended-PIP-672.jpg

I forgot to post Mister Gutsy earlier!

There are two things I'm always keeping an eye out for: 1) low MV colorless creatures, and 2) single-card archetype enablers. While there are endless cards that tell you to cast Auras or Enchantments, the fact that this one is a colorless card that's only 2 mana makes it much more appealing as a mini-build around that will change how folks draft without ever being oppressive. It's the opposite of too-strong, if anything.

In my Cube, this will mostly be for the aggressive decks that play a handful of equipment and will rarely get bigger than 3/3. It will have a hard time keeping up with other 2-drops in those decks. But it's the kind of card my players will really enjoy seeing and playing with, and they'll happily take the 1-2 cards they "draw" off it when it dies. Seems totally reasonable.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am not going to go back and find one or more of the m many times they have mentioned this policy but they were before Universes Beyond was even a thing so of course they couldn’t differentiate between their own IP and UB at that point because UB was not a thing in anyone’s head. They just said it was important that guns was never a real gun but a magic shootey thingey that cannot be real.
You are absolutely right that their no guns policy predates UB, and I don’t know that they ever reflected on the impact of UB on this policy, but on his Tumblr, MaRo said this: “I’m not saying guns have no place in fantasy. I’m, saying they have no place in our fantasy.”

Obviously, Universes Beyond isn’t WotC’s fantasy, it’s a “what if Magic depicted a different universe?” With that comes all the baggage of that other universe, including guns, if applicable. It would be very inappropriate to have magic but not guns in a Fallout set, since magic doesn’t exist in that universe, but guns play an important role in solving conflicts in all the Fallout games. Anyway, I think we sort of agree here, so just putting this out here as a source for those interested :)

Yeah we totally agree.

However it IS Wizards’ fantasy the moment Wizards print the cards into their game for us to buy and play with. Now we have Ghyrson playing vs. Atraxa in our Duel Commander environment and it’s weird but we have to accept it until a format bans all UB cards.

theniptonlottery.jpg

hear me out

this card depicts Oliver Swanick, who won the Nipton lottery

Oliver Swanick was (as confirmed in a somethingawful post, if their paywall isn't up at the moment) based on a real person who won a fanfiction contest on the Obsidian forums

therefore this is an Invitational card (or at least as much of one as Fervent Champion)

...but we have to accept it until a format bans all UB cards.
You know, there was a community effort to create a format like that once. It was a community-driven version of Commander created shortly after the reveal of The Walking Dead Secret Lair where people would vote on what cards were legal.

It got destroyed after about 24 hours because about a third of the people involved wanted to make Invoke Prejudice and Cleanse legal.

Yeah we totally agree.

However it IS Wizards’ fantasy the moment Wizards print the cards into their game for us to buy and play with.
I'd say it's still not their fantasy. They're borrowing a story.
Now we have Ghyrson playing vs. Atraxa in our Duel Commander environment and it’s weird but we have to accept it until a format bans all UB cards.
This, however, does annoy me a bit. We have more and more universes invading the multiverse and it's going to be unbelievably convoluted a few years from now.

Luckily, as cube designers, we can ban whatever we want. And maybe I will. I dunno yet.