General Planeswalker Deck design challenge!

Design challenge:

The new introductory ramp-up product - Planeswalker decks - has some interesting design ideas. Notably there's going to be five standard-legal cards that aren't in the actual set. More on this:

One new tournament-legal Planeswalker (M)

Two copies of a rare that has an effect and also tutors the Planeswalker. It costs one less than the walker so you can curve out more often.

Three copies of an uncommon permanent that is enhanced by having the planeswalker on the battlefield.

Four copies of a common flavored to the Planeswalker.

At common, we have a basic staple effect—one the Planeswalker would cast most often, with art showing them casting it.

For the uncommon, we are making a permanent that is upgraded if you have the relevant planeswalker on the battlefield. Note that unlike the rare spell, the uncommon is looking for any version of the planeswalker—not just the one that comes in the Planeswalker Deck. This card will be thematically tied to the Planeswalker of the deck in name and art.

The rare usually will cost one mana less than the planeswalker (to help ramp into the planeswalker) and have an appropriately themed effect. It will then search your library or graveyard for a copy of the specific planeswalker and put it into your hand. (Note that it only looks for the Planeswalker Deck's version of the planeswalker and not any version. Allowing you to get any version had huge developmental issues.

You all know me by now and yes, 'huge development issues' perked my ears up something fierce. Here's the game: design a set of rare spell, uncommon permanent and common creature or spell, at a Cubeable power level (your definition!) , that interacts with a Planeswalker type (Chandra, Jace, Gideon) instead of a specific Planeswalker. Same Planeswalker for all three designs but importantly, you're not designing a new walker, just their stuff.

Let's say we have, uh, a week? I like the idea of more design threads. If we want it to be a contest instead, and a few people submit, I'll commission art for the three cards, not necessarily from the same package, I like the most.

Rare - The search for Nicol bolas. RBBU
Search for Nicol bolas, put onto battlefield, discard your hand.
Uncommon - Quest for winning RBU
At beginning of upkeep, if you control Nicol bolas, put a winning counter on.
If has 10 winning counter, you win.
Common Creature - the sucks R/UB
1/1 Islandspalk, Tromple

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No Cure No Pain {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery (Rare)
Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost. Then search your library or graveyard for a Liliana card, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Liliana's Messenger {1}{B}{B}
Creature - Zombie (Uncommon)
Skulk
Whenever Liliana's Messenger deals combat damage to an opponent, if you control a Liliana planeswalker, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
2/3

Shambling Scraps {1}{B}
Sorcery (Common)
Each player discards a card. If a creature card was discarded this way, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.

Something like this you mean?

PS here's my first (super lore-heavy) set, feel free to use this as a Lab thread and refine your cards before the deadline

Flames of Kaladesh, Rare
2R Sorcery
Search your library or graveyard for a Chandra Planeswalker card and put it on top of your library. Also, Arc Lightning.

Keral Keep Initiate, Uncommon
RR 3/2 Creature
Prowess
At the beginning of your upkeep, deal damage equal to target Chandra's loyalty to target creature you don't control and target creature of an opponent's choice you control.

Star Scroll, common
1R Artifact
Devoid
When ~ ETBs, Scry 1.
Sacrifice ~: deal 2 damage to target creature.
/The monks who copied it never bothered to more than sketch out the side with the map on it./

Yes. Changing it to RR though. Might try 3/1 as well so it's harder to kung-fu out of the ability.

Laz

Developer
I like this challenge, solid mix of flavour, mechanical interaction (What does the planeswalker care about? How do the cards interact?) and creativity.

Planeswalker: Gideon
Plane: Ravnica
Deck Colours: UW (Azorius)

Bringer of Righteousness {3}{W}{W}
Sorcery (Rare)
Destroy all tapped creatures.
Search your graveyard and/or library for a Gideon planeswalker card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.

Notes: Closest analogue is Righteous Fury, but plenty of thematic play to this from an art and naming perspective. Luminosity from the Sunblast Angel effect, or self-authorised destruction - see Supreme Verdict flavour text.

Herald of the Justiciar {1}{U}{W}
Creature - Spirit (Uncommon)
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever a planeswalker you control attacks, you may tap or untap target permanent.
2/2

Notes: First up, yes it works with Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker. Second, this certainly has grokkability issues for new players who are not 100% across planeswalker mechanics and rules terminology, but I like how elegantly this text ties the card to Gideon.

Arrest (Common)

Notes: I know that this isn't strictly what the contest asks for, but there are not a lot of common White spell-like effects that I would genuinely want to have 4 of in a pre-con which will essentially be a U/W fliers control deck. Most of the staple spell-like effects I would envision Gideon 'casting' are combat tricks, but it feels to me like 4 of that effect may be too many. Arrest seems fitting in this deck, semi-thematic for Gideon and an effect that you would genuinely want 4 of.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like your approach Laz!

Planeswalker: Nissa
Plane: Zendikar
Deck Colors: Green

Leyline of Verdancy {1}{G}
Enchantment (rare)
If Leyline of Verdancy is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
When you cast Leyline of Verdancy, search your library or graveyard for a Nissa planeswalker card, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
You may play an additional land on each of your turns if that land is a Forest.

Strength of Ashaya {2}{G}
Sorcery (uncommon)
Untap all Forests you control.
If you control a Nissa planeswalker, target Forest becomes a 4/4 Elemental creature with trample. It's still a land.

Seeds of Life {3}{G}{G}
Sorcery (common)
Put three 0/1 green Plant creature tokens onto the battlefield. Then put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nobody repping tibalt yet?

Planeswalker: Tibalt
Plane: Innistrad
Deck Colors: Red/Black

Wrong Place, Wrong Time {R}
Sorcery (rare)
Search your library or graveyard for a Tibalt planeswalker card, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. Then discard a card at random.

Tools of the Sadist {1}
Artifact (uncommon)
As Tools of the Sadist enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
Whenever you cast a red or black spell, that player loses 1 life.
At the beginning of the chosen player's upkeep, if you control a Tibalt planeswalker, that player loses 1 life.

Trap and Torture {1}{B}{R}
Sorcery (common)
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn. When you lose control of the creature, put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not really. There's already a card that does basically only the Exploration part, costed {G}{G}, without all the secondary effects. And the Leyline effect! Free T0 leyline of extra forests??

There is also a less restrictive Exploration card that costs {G}, and Gaea's Touch isn't a rare, nor a competitive card, so it's not entirely fair to compare the leyline to that card. So, yeah, possibly better than Exploration if you go heavy green, and Exploration, but Exploration isn't really competitive either nowadays, right?

The leyline is really really strong, even post-nerf, but it feels like it might also be fun? Fun is good.

"ladies, ladies, you both put your bras on one leg at a time" and all that

There is also a less restrictive Exploration card that costs {G}, and Gaea's Touch isn't a rare, nor a competitive card, so it's not entirely fair to compare the leyline to that card. So, yeah, possibly better than Exploration if you go heavy green, and Exploration, but Exploration isn't really competitive either nowadays, right?
Safra is right in that it seems like a fun effect, especially for the decks you are designing for.

All I'll say more on it is that I think you are underestimating the "leyline" effect some, and this leyline ultra synergizes with its own abilities. Start with it in your hand? Free exploration effect, and you can play a 2 drop T1. Don't start with it? Tutor for your strongest card (probably), and get an exploration effect.

Again, seems fun for the "starter decks", which can be internally balanced more easily than a whole format.

Edit: the tutor is also uncounterable.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Safra is right in that it seems like a fun effect, especially for the decks you are designing for.

All I'll say more on it is that I think you are underestimating the "leyline" effect some, and this leyline ultra synergizes with its own abilities. Start with it in your hand? Free exploration effect, and you can play a 2 drop T1. Don't start with it? Tutor for your strongest card (probably), and get an exploration effect.

Again, seems fun for the "starter decks", which can be internally balanced more easily than a whole format.

Edit: the tutor is also uncounterable.

Ah, but if you get it in your starting hand you don't 'cast' it, so you won't be getting your free Planeswalker. It gives it purpose when you draw it later and that seems pretty cool.

All this being said, these are some sweet designs. I have a couple of ideas brewing around in my head. I'll post them when I am happy with them.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you were after, but for a specific Planeswalker:

Animist's Vision {2}{G}{G}
Sorcery (rare)
Search your graveyard and/or library for a Nissa planeswalker card and a Forest card, reveal them and put them into your hand.

Zendikar's Heart
Land - Forest (uncommon)
Zendikar's Heart enters the battlefield tapped
Whenever Zendikar's Heart becomes the target of a spell or ability, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Arbor Elf {G}
The text of Arbor Elf

Herald the Hero {2}{W}{W}
Sorcery (Rare)
Put two 1/1 white soldier creature tokens into play under your control.

Search your library and graveyard for an Elspeth card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, if you control fewer creatures and have less life than an opponent, you may put an Elspeth card from your hand into play under your control.

Armament of the Chosen {2}
Artifact - Equipment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
If you control an Elspeth planeswalker, equipped creature has flying.
Equip: {2}
Armament of the Chosen's equip cost costs {2} less to activate if it targets a creature token.

Inspiring Victory {2}{W}
Instant - Common
Destroy target creature with power 4 or greater.
Put a 1/1 white soldier creature token into play under your control.

The equipment is a pretty clear rip on ghostfire blade, but I really wanted something to augment tokens without being an anthem. The tokens from Scars of Mirrodin being imitations of her really sticks with me, so the soldiers replicating her weapons and armor was something I always wanted to see reflected in-game.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Y'all are so mean :p

Burning Sensation {R}
Sorcery
Draw 3 cards, then discard 3 cards at random.
You may search your library for a card named Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Devil Motivators {2}{R}
Creature - Devil
When ~ enters the battlefield under your control, other creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
{2}{R}: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Play this ability only if you control a card named Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded and only as a sorcery.
3/2

Pain Spike {B}
Sorcery
Target player discards a card and looses 1 life
Flashback - Sacrifice a creature

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
For my fishy mistress:
Rare:
wzoRVmK.jpg

She likes her big creatures, so why not make it a double tutor? The goal is to drop the Kiora next turn then she ramps you 1 so you can play a 6 drop the turn after. Had to include the discard as instant speed better than Divination seems way too good.

Uncommon:
O3EaZXJ.jpg

I want a 2/2 flyer for 2 in blue as it just doesn't seem to want to exist in the magic universe just yet. Was oging to make it a looter but that would have been too good. Gave it a downside(?) that turns into an appropriate flavoured upside when in the vicinity of her fishy-ness.
Common:

Couldn't think of anything I wanted for this so why not just use a decent limited filler card?

This was great fun. I might continue to fiddle with these though, as I had a decent idea for a big green uncommon instead of the bird. I'll see how it ends up.

Laz

Developer
So... does anyone want to extend this concept in order to build a couple of balanced teaching decks?
I have been wanting to do so in order help people bridge the gap between 'I understand the basics of Magic' from Magic Duels, starter decks or the like to actually being able to draft something reasonable within the high-complexity environment which is my cube.

I built some 30-card teaching decks, but they are so horrifically ground-stally, while also being pretty unbalanced because I don't use them often.