Pokémon: the Gathering - A Custom Cube

Love HMs as equipment!
Power level feels appropriate and even?
You think Flash is better as menace? It's less blue, but probably more...flash?
Code:
In battle
Generations I to III
Flash decreases the target's accuracy stat by one stage.
The accuracy of Flash is 70% in these generations.
From wiki. I felt like the accuracy loss was reflected well by hexproof, as well as having it be blue-ish.

mask of avacyn is pretty close in execution, so maybe the equip cost on flash is a tad light, but otherwise seems good.
I think Flash looks fair to me — it's basically Swiftfoot Boots with the haste swapped for a +1/+0.
Mask of Avacyn is also kind of bad, imo. I was thinking it's kinda like Boots.

I'll try to post ten burn spells the next time I get a chance. It should be easy designs and they're a great thing to have your red section full of. Slower decks will burn your guys to stay safe, faster decks will use it to burn your face and finish the game.

The Grass section is tentatively complete for v1. Maybe I'll post all of it, but it's kind of a nightmare to upload 40-45 cards here.

If you hover over the first image, there should be an arrow that pops up on the right side that allows you to go through the album image by image. If you click the picture, it will open the album in imgur.

Grass has quite a few Pokemon in it, so the section ends up fairly similar to MtG's green.

I'd like to hear any cards you do or don't like, so I can make sure I keep and change the right ones going forward.

I think flying is better text than I've added to it.
What does this part mean?
foraging nidoran / nidorino are mega cool
I feel like the ones that return Pokemon might be too much better than the ones that return lands, but it's definitely both cards' Plan B. I was considering making NidoKing/Queen be a Crucible of Worlds and like a Havengul Lich type of effect. I know I already have a Ramunap Excavator, but the effect feels quite a bit different on a bigger body.

Eevees
The old version of the Eevees was scrounging to make Eevee into Eeveelution a deck. This new version simply makes Eevee a specialized tutor and there's an additional payoff to refund sacrificing the Eevee.
Eevee.pngSearching Far and Wide.png
Flareon.pngJolteon.pngVaporeon.png
There's a small issue where (at least) two Water cards can trigger the Vaporeon ETB, but both would cost six mana and it can be considered an incentive. There's a "Water Sun's Zenith" and a 6 mana grab-any-Water.

I think Searching Far and Wide is a cool Traverse the Ulvenwald variant that can add some consistency to a lot of decks.

EDIT: Maybe Vaporeon should bounce a nonland to hand? Probably makes the power level more in line with the other two?

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
On Eevee: Can you switch the ETBs on the eeveelutions to "if you didn't cast ~" and let eevee search your hand as well?
Less (though still some) feelbads for drawing em

end the text off with "If you searched your library, shuffle" and you'll avoid shuffling all the time.

On Eevee: Can you switch the ETBs on the eeveelutions to "if you didn't cast ~" and let eevee search your hand as well?
I really like this. There's some reanimation and this makes them more valuable for that deck, as well. An ETB 5/5 isn't too shabby. My reanimation targets available are intentionally less explosive, so these will fit in well for that role.
Less (though still some) feelbads for drawing em
Didn't even think of this. Good call. Wording on all 4 creatures updated.

I'm debating changing "energy" to "land" and changing "energy" to "mana".

Having the energies produce energy is a little confusing. It also adds a tiny bit of mental load and preparation to explain a new term.

There's also a tiny consideration to do the same for using "creature" rather than "Pokemon," but that new terminology feels much more natural.

Full Set v1.0 (370 images)

Needs 14 cuts and +4 lands to get a nice 360.

Some cards currently semi-blank as I lack inspiration for those cards.
Water section may have an excess of tokens.
Electric section is a bit high on counterspells.
Fire section having issues. Extremely high burn/removal count due to lack of Fire Pokemon.
Multicolor section lacks unique designs.
I feel that there's an abundance of 2/1 for one to the extent it may be detrimental.
The overall cube has a bit of a removal excess, as Pokemon moves converted to cards tend to deal damage or affect opposing Pokemon.

I'm feeling a bit constrained by the limitations set forth by Pokemon's creature counts combined with my flavor goals as I approach a final design here.

All advice will be considered. Help me cut. Help me redesign. Give designs to add. Anything helps. It's too much to do without you guys!

How clear a color pie did you have? Or: How strict were you sticking to it? This seems really hard to check, even though I've read your early posts, because it's just so much new information.

There are many cool designs, but I will do what takes less time: Mostly focus on what I found questionable.

Aerodactyl is one of the fastest Pokémon out there, can it have haste? Also, it having higher power than toughness would also be more true to how it plays in Pokémon.

Alakazam looks a little weak? Compared to other 5-drops

Ancient Knowledge seems undercosted. Such a strong, flexible spell.

Some cards still talk about mana value, like birthday bash.

Our Blastoise designs are funnily close to each other :D

Bloodlust seems a little too brutal a name for a Pokémon game.

However, Bloodthirsty Ambush is a sweet, sweet design.

Oh, what I don't like at all are the fish token. Why call them fish? My cube will have Magicarp and Caterpie and probably a couple more named token. They are Pokémon token after all, right?

I also don't like, that you suddenly switch to magic frames for the lands. Why is that?

Also, some of the starter Pokémon seem to bland for these cool characters. I still Bulbasaur and Charmeleon should have some rules text.

Controlled burn is nice, I'd want a magic version of this.

Cubone 2 is unfinished.

Doduo ebolution shouldn't have flying.

Ninjutsu variant makes a lot of sense, cool!

There is an unnecessary "with" on Dratini.

That's A-D, rest will follow.

Eevee misses an "and" or a comma.

It's really weird to have Ekans have more power than Arbok

I think you really have too many burn spells and effects.

Protection from non-ghost Pokémon seems both, unfun and unfitting. Maybe something like "prevent all combat damage dealt to Ghastly"?

Gyarados should be larger than a 4-mana 4/4 imho.

Maybe some of your 1-drops could be conditionally 2-powered? Like Jigglypuff gets angry when they fall asleep so it has +1/+0 as long as an opposing Pokémon is tapped?

The eeveelutions having that ttigger only when you "evolved", isn't that a bit narrow?

Krabby is unfinished.

That was E-L

Machamp feels quite a bit better than Arcanine in that 5-drop beater slot.

Also, Mew shouldn't be weaker than ... anything? It having stats below Arvticuno or Charizard seems off? Not sure.

Mewtwo should also be more than a better Meteroit Golem.

Misty's Horsea is unfinished.

Haste on Onyx feels very weird, it's such a slow Pokémon.

What can Grass do? Having bounce and burn on one card (Pinsir) feels unfair.

Primeape feels overstatted.

I gotta say, I don't see how Rock Slide is hand disruption :p

Laughed at Seel of Strength :D

Aren't there more, better choices for boardwipes than Slam?

Maybe you should give another "color" direct Damage? So you didn't have to use the physical, normal move burn spells in Fire too, like Slash.

Staryu is unfinished.

Why can Tentacruel block 98 creatures? And why don't you use poisoned counters more? It'll be a mayor mechanic in my cube.

You got the wrong artwork for the thunder batch I think.

Travel across the land is unfinished.

Truth or Dare has no artwork.

Vileplume is weird as a 0/1 on a fully evolved Pokémon.

Phew, that's it for now :)

How clear a color pie did you have? Or: How strict were you sticking to it? This seems really hard to check, even though I've read your early posts, because it's just so much new information.
Not SUPER clear because Pokemon itself doesn't lend itself to such strict limitations.
There are many cool designs, but I will do what takes less time: Mostly focus on what I found questionable.
Prefer this.
Alakazam looks a little weak? Compared to other 5-drops
I'm concerned the ability is too annoying, but also concerned the 2 toughness is too flimsy.
Ancient Knowledge seems undercosted. Such a strong, flexible spell.
Yeah. My current reanimation suite is much lower costed than modern MtG. I think that the first ability is actually quite bad at sorcery speed.
Some cards still talk about mana value, like birthday bash.
Yeah... I'll need to try searching keywords to try and sort out that kind of stuff.
Oh, what I don't like at all are the fish token. Why call them fish? My cube will have Magicarp and Caterpie and probably a couple more named token. They are Pokémon token after all, right?
I don't want to have to make 20 different tokens. The Fish token has an art with Misty and a good 6-10 different Water Pokemon.
I also don't like, that you suddenly switch to magic frames for the lands. Why is that?
Wanted them to look unique because they function way differently than anything you can cast.
Also, some of the starter Pokémon seem to bland for these cool characters. I still Bulbasaur and Charmeleon should have some rules text.
They're cool characters, but they start off very basic. They're still first or second tier evolutions. Maybe the second tiers could use a bit of spice. I'm also a fan of cards that play well for their stats rather than WotC packing 150 words on there.
Controlled burn is nice, I'd want a magic version of this.

Cubone 2 is unfinished.
"Some cards currently semi-blank as I lack inspiration for those cards." From earlier post.
Doduo ebolution shouldn't have flying.
Dodrio can learn Fly and is a Flying Pokemon. Am I crazy?
I think you really have too many burn spells and effects.
Yeah. Not sure what other red spells I want.
Protection from non-ghost Pokémon seems both, unfun and unfitting. Maybe something like "prevent all combat damage dealt to Ghastly"?
Maybe. These were tricky for me. I'll think on them.
Gyarados should be larger than a 4-mana 4/4 imho.
That's probably fair. I'm hesitant to up the mana costs too severely.
Maybe some of your 1-drops could be conditionally 2-powered? Like Jigglypuff gets angry when they fall asleep so it has +1/+0 as long as an opposing Pokémon is tapped?
Yeah. I had a hard time making interesting one drops. I love Savannah Lions and Isamaru lol.
The eeveelutions having that ttigger only when you "evolved", isn't that a bit narrow?
Super narrow. That's why they have the statics. I'm not sure how to make Eevee stuff not narrow.
Machamp feels quite a bit better than Arcanine in that 5-drop beater slot.
You're right. Machamp should probably lose a keyword or something.
Also, Mew shouldn't be weaker than ... anything? It having stats below Arvticuno or Charizard seems off? Not sure.
Mewtwo should also be more than a better Meteroit Golem.
These are probably right. They should become "Eldrazi."
Haste on Onyx feels very weird, it's such a slow Pokémon.
"Burrows at high speed in search of food. The tunnels it leaves are used as homes by Diglett." - Pokedex entry. It also has flavor text from another generation that refers to it as rapid. But it actually has rather average speed.
What can Grass do? Having bounce and burn on one card (Pinsir) feels unfair.
I'm not that concerned about a bounce or about 2 damage. Neither is that powerful.
Primeape feels overstatted.
Forced attacking and blocking means it's going to die in combat pretty quickly. Maybe the fact that it'll always trade is too much. Relentless Raptor saw no play as far as I know.
I gotta say, I don't see how Rock Slide is hand disruption :p
Something needed to be hand disruption. He throws a rock at your hand. I dunno.
Laughed at Seel of Strength :D
Might not be the most necessary design, but it's a fun one.
Aren't there more, better choices for boardwipes than Slam?
Probably.
Maybe you should give another "color" direct Damage? So you didn't have to use the physical, normal move burn spells in Fire too, like Slash.
Maybe, but that's where I have the art for them.
Why can Tentacruel block 98 creatures? And why don't you use poisoned counters more? It'll be a mayor mechanic in my cube.
It can block 80. I need to incorporate some more poison.
Vileplume is weird as a 0/1 on a fully evolved Pokémon.
It doesn't really need stats, but I suppose it could have some to look a little tough.

Yeah. Not sure what other red spells I want.
Impulse Draw? Rummaging? Instant speed threaten? Treasure production?

Super narrow. That's why they have the statics. I'm not sure how to make Eevee stuff not narrow.
Isn't a good enough to have eevee be a tutor for different effects, that are useful in different situations?

I'm not that concerned about a bounce or about 2 damage. Neither is that powerful.
It's more of a color pie concern. Is Grass like blue or red?

It can block 80. I need to incorporate some more poison.
Okay, but why can it block that number? Not writing any number of Pokémon implies a flavor reason I'm not getting here.