General Popular Unpowered Cube Offenders

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That was me, however I didn't say the new version was "still insane" I said it was "completely playable".

However, if you take a card and nerf the everloving shit out of it (vulnerable to removal, one turn delay, no multiple plays in the same turn) and its still completely playable, that's still a pretty harsh indictment of the original.

Ah, that's what it was

Given how many people are okay with erratta in the first place, it's probably not a good solution. And jeez does that say a lot

We found Bribery to feel a lot like a hoser in the sense that it was either meh or a blowout depending on your opponent. This, coupled with the fact that little skill is required to play the card, made my play group hate it. Treachery is a card that I think my play group might be overly biased against, for reasons I cannot explain.

As far as the "fatty cheaters" go, some people miss their absence, but by and large most of my group appreciates it. I think it's just a mechanic my play group doesn't find exciting.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I never "got" bribery in cube. It never even occurred to me that the card had anything interesting going on, so I never bothered to consider it for cube long enough to make an evaluation on its power level. Good or bad, it just seems like a dumb card.

CML

Contributor
FSR, but but the primitive templating on Corpse Dance is part of what makes it so much fun :(

well duh but like how many of these have they made lately? Sphere of the Suns was the most recent, then (in rev chron order) Everflowing Chalice, Coldsteel Heart, Prismatic Lens, Signets, Talismans, Mind Stone. I'm pretty happy with 5 of these in da Cube but WotC apparently wants to design playable yet non-ubiquitous rocks, they aren't so into {2} as the CC anymore but at {3} they've failed miserably with Cluestones, Keyrunes, and Chromatic Lantern (at least for competitive constructed). It makes me think the casting cost is the most difficult part to balance.

I do like Pristine Talisman, though

Reactions: Tom

Chris Taylor

Contributor
FSR, but but the primitive templating on Corpse Dance is part of what makes it so much fun :(

well duh but like how many of these have they made lately? Sphere of the Suns was the most recent, then (in rev chron order) Everflowing Chalice, Coldsteel Heart, Prismatic Lens, Signets, Talismans, Mind Stone. I'm pretty happy with 5 of these in da Cube but WotC apparently wants to design playable yet non-ubiquitous rocks, they aren't so into {2} as the CC anymore but at {3} they've failed miserably with Cluestones, Keyrunes, and Chromatic Lantern (at least for competitive constructed). It makes me think the casting cost is the most difficult part to balance.

I do like Pristine Talisman, though
I cannot plug talisman of progress enough.

This is so play group dependent. There are literally dozens or cards that are grossly overpowered and yet played in most cubes. And if your group is such that they recognize and abuse these cards, they will warp your meta. You really just need to see how your meta comes together and deal with these issues as they come up (if they come up). My group is pretty casual and they tend to favor grindy midrange strategies. Because of that, I had to de-power the 6+ mana bracket because it was too easy for control to just take over games. And doing that took the sting out of fast mana to some extent because you no longer had auto-win conditions to unfairly ramp into. No one in my group really likes aggro, so I don't support it as heavily as most. I don't really need to though because control is less dominate (both in that it is played less and no longer has Titans and Wurmcoils to break the game with).

But that is not a solution for everyone and if the composition of my play group changed, I have no doubt I would run into other problems. No meta is unbreakable. There are just too many variables.

Two cards in my cube have been on the verge of getting cutting for consistently causing problems: Jitte and Recurring Nightmare. But I'd miss both cards, so I keep resisting the cut even if it's probably the right move. The swords are good, but they are not as broken as the salad fork. And recurring nightmare cannot be effectively countered, so it's just a super annoying card to play against.

On the subject of signets, I don't like giving 5colorgoodstuff.dec more tools. I hate that deck with a passion. I want guys to be forced into color combinations. I actually LIKE mono colored decks, that's how against excessive multi-color I am.

CML

Contributor
we've given this some thought in Standard and do not think it a good idea without more Lantern-like effects. Chromanticore is sweet though, it needs a whirl in Cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx
Image.ashx