General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Thought:

Thoughtlasher {1}{B}{B}
Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a noncreature, nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
Evoke {B}
2/1

It's probably too good, since duress is a sweet card already. Is there an alternate looky-discard spell we could have it emulate? I don't want it to be Despise :(
Maybe Addle? I have the 1CC version in my cube, but it might be better than duress...

How about:

Thoughtlasher {1}{B}{B}
Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose a card type other than land. Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a card with the chosen type from it. That player discards that card.
Evoke {B}
2/1

Too much choice? I think the evoke is maybe too weak with it worded this way, but I'm in love with the idea of a 'called shot' discard spell that isn't Cabal Therapy.

I was going to print this monster in my cube but I think perhaps the world is not yet ready:

Rilcera's Interrogation {1}{B}
Sorcery
Name one of the following keywords: First strike, flying, haste, lifelink, trample, vigilance, regenerate, cycling, morph, shroud, or flash. Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. If the chosen card has the chosen keyword in its rules text, that player discards another card.

I like that when you hit you still have a choice of taking another card. If you're an aggressive deck you might take their Supreme Verdict over the card you hit and one of their choice. What I don't like is the insane synergy with one mana discard spells, because if you cast a turn one Duress then this will (nearly) always hit T2 and just break your opponent's hand worse than a Hymn to Tourach.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cabal Therapy is a nice idea, but it works way better in smaller cubes (or constructed, the smallest enviornment of them all)

My god that discard spell :p
shame that 90% of the time it has to pick out a creature to get the extra benefit.

Other personal favorite:

Sophie's Choice {B}
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a card from it. That player discards that card, or 2 other cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know I think that makes the card way more awesome :D
Forgive me, I haven't seen the relevant material, and this was a mechanics first card

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Combination KO!
Damnwhisper.jpg

I made this really pushed black zombie. I like your card chris, I just hate having more dudes that are 1BB also I'm starting to hate 1 toughness guys for 3.

The Indebted {1}{B}
Creature - Zombie Warrior (R)
Extort
When The Indebted enters da battlefield each playa loses 2 life.
2/1

As written, they discard that card. If that behavior is undesirable, we could say:

You choose exactly two nonland cards from it. If you do, that player discards one of those cards.

I thunked of another spell critter kris!

Nameless Hero 1W
Creature - Human soldier (R)
Vigilance
1W, Exile Nameless Hero: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Play this ability only when Nameless Hero is in your graveyard.
2/2

Vulgar Rabble 1R
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever an opponent plays a spell that costs 4 or more mana, Vulgar rabble deals 2 damage to that jerk.
2/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Love the wording :p
I'm not sure it's that great though. How often is this guy just goblin piker?
Someone with experience running Gaddok Teeg answer this, coffee hasn't hit yet :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I ran Gaddock Teeg for a long time but I never saw him in action all that much. I liked the card in theory, but people seemed unwilling to play it. They're much happier to cast Voice of Resurgence.

CML

Contributor
this thread is a black hole. soon i'm gonna start thinking wizards sucks at not only paying its advertisers (like LSV) and making a cube but also at designing THE CARDS THEMSELVES. and when that happens i dunno i might get a job or something.

so whenever i think about custom cards i think about the 720 that my otherwise smart friend has, which never fires because he has a religious devotion to stupid stuff like "singleton" or "720" and ends up getting cornholed by it (he is after all a gay republican). in a small cube this is less necessary -- certainly anything above 450 has to break singleton, print custom cards, or suck -- so then the question is where to fiddle with the cube. also i am not too much of a narcissist when it comes to card design so! as interesting as i find the custom cube from aintrazi(?) i prefer the established-genre stuff you guys are doing here. in fact i even remember said gay republican designing a nice cycle of wwk manlands that i will try to reproduce below:

izzet -- 1UR 2/4 {U/R} switch p/t til EOT
boros -- RW 1/1 double strike
orzhov -- 1WB 2/1 flying lifelink
golgari -- 2BG 3/3 deathtouch
simic -- 1GU 2/1 ophidian

so in that vein! what kind of niches do your guys's cubes wanna fill? here's a brief brainstorm:

equipment that isn't a) {swords bskull jit clamp} b) horrible <----- this is the big one
enemy-color fixing
enchantments that are decent but not overpowering
black and blue aggro creatures
1-drops
2-drops that don't cost XX
3-drops in mono green
graveyard hate
functionally unique izzet cards
fatties

talk amongst yourselves

Chris Taylor

Contributor
this thread is a black hole. soon i'm gonna start thinking wizards sucks at not only paying its advertisers (like LSV) and making a cube but also at designing THE CARDS THEMSELVES. and when that happens i dunno i might get a job or something.

so whenever i think about custom cards i think about the 720 that my otherwise smart friend has, which never fires because he has a religious devotion to stupid stuff like "singleton" or "720" and ends up getting cornholed by it (he is after all a gay republican). in a small cube this is less necessary -- certainly anything above 450 has to break singleton, print custom cards, or suck -- so then the question is where to fiddle with the cube. also i am not too much of a narcissist when it comes to card design so! as interesting as i find the custom cube from aintrazi(?) i prefer the established-genre stuff you guys are doing here. in fact i even remember said gay republican designing a nice cycle of wwk manlands that i will try to reproduce below:

izzet -- 1UR 2/4 {U/R} switch p/t til EOT
boros -- RW 1/1 double strike
orzhov -- 1WB 2/1 flying lifelink
golgari -- 2BG 3/3 deathtouch
simic -- 1GU 2/1 ophidian

so in that vein! what kind of niches do your guys's cubes wanna fill? here's a brief brainstorm:

equipment that isn't a) {swords bskull jit clamp} b) horrible <----- this is the big one
enemy-color fixing
enchantments that are decent but not overpowering
black and blue aggro creatures
1-drops
2-drops that don't cost XX
3-drops in mono green
graveyard hate
functionally unique izzet cards
fatties

talk amongst yourselves

So those are all WWK style manlands?Holy shit the simic one is insane! Basically any land that says "Draw a card" on it needs to cost a lot because it's so free.
Golgari one is okay, Orzhov one is okay, boros one is probably balanced in that it needs some support, and the Izzet one is straight aweful. even if it could be a 4/4 because damage stacked, it'd still be really mediocre.

Love all the custom card areas for improvement, stream of ideas to follow. I actually want something like another grafted wargear in my cube at the moment, but I think another wargear straight up might be too strong.

Bladed Gauntlets {2}
Equipped creature gets +3/+1
Equip {2}

These taken from Miasmir's cube. I'm probably implementing the haste one

Drakeshell {3}
Equipped creature gets +3/+1 and gains flying
Living Weapon
Equip {6}

Xenopouncer {2}
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and gains haste
Living Weapon
Equip {4}

The 4 really is perfect here, just enough for the lategame to make Isaumaru relavant, but not enough that it's just into the web of war for 2 mana.

Personally I find it a bit sad that Blue/Black don't deserve Mistral Charger, so I made these:
Pouncing Horror {1}{B}
Flying when attacking
2/1

Spyhawk {1}{U}
Flying
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
2/1

Ethreal Stalker {1}{B}
{B}: ~ gains shadow permanently.
{B}: ~ Loses shadow permanently.
2/1

Mindwarp Shambler {B}{B}
Pay 2 life: Rakdos Augermage's ability.
2/2
This guy came out of the discussion of lost multicolor potential, and is close to the submitted origional Jin, Master of Disruption (who just said 0: ability. Maybe once per turn. You know what mana cost Sire of Insanity is probably broken at? This one)

Restrained Famaliar {R}
~ attacks each turn if able unless you pay 1
2/2

Ronin Vegabond {R}
~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control a non-mountain land
1/1

Valliant Hermit {R}
~ gains double strike as long as you control a plains
1/1

Elder Pariah {G}
Unworthy (~ may not be the target of spells or abilities you control)
2/2

Song of the Wild {G}
Sorcery
Put a 2/2 green wolf warrior onto the battlefield.

Chart the Unknown {G}
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a basic land card. Put that card onto the battlefield tapped, and shuffle the rest of the card into your library.

Silent Judge {1}{W}
Artifacts and lands enter the battlefield taped
Vigilance
2/1

Angry Dude {1}{R}
Haste
He raged at the world, at his family, at his life, at his dog, at the tavern barkeep, at his cousin, at the blacksmith, at his vegetable garden...
2/1

Cunning Tracker {1}{G}
Bloodthirst 2
Creatures with power less than ~'s power can't block it.
1/1

Steward of Llanowar {1}{G}
T: add a {G}
Vigilance
2/1

Studdervenom Snake {1}{G} (Possibly {U}/{G}{U}/{G})
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, counter target activated or triggered ability from a nonland source.
2/1

Elemental Outcast {2}{G}
Unworthy (~ may not be the target of spells or abilities you control)
4/4

Guardian of Llanowar {4}{G}
Affinity for basic lands
4/4

Colossal Stalker {4}{G}{G}
Provoke
At the beginning of the end step, you may have ~ phase out
6/5

And the Bigguns:

Aiora, the wild Seer {1}{R}{U}
Flying
Whenever a noncreature source deals damage to an opponent, you may draw a card
2/3

Spellweaving {1}{R}{U}
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand and pay it's mana cost. If you do, copy that card. You may cast the copy without paying it's mana cost.

Or alternitively:
instant and sorcery cards in your hand have splice onto instant or sorcery. The splice cost is equal to it's mana cost.

I'm super curious about your black hole comment.

I like this equipment design idea. I was also thinking about "building a better aura"

CML

Contributor
black hole = i will get sucked in and not balance my life even worse than the typical MTG lifestyle i already kind of live

+1 on aura

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My favorite fix: Landfall - Comes back.

It's a nice balance between rancor and moldervine cloak, and kinda goes on everything.
Cept' control magic

These taken from Miasmir's cube. I'm probably implementing the haste one

Drakeshell {3}
Equipped creature gets +3/+1 and gains flying
Living Weapon
Equip {6}

Xenopouncer {2}
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and gains haste
Living Weapon
Equip {4}
*bashful joke about stealing my tech*
Spyhawk {1}{U}
Flying
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
2/1
I dunno, I kind of like to have people pay more for their information than fringe benefit an on-curve aggro creature. Maybe "When ~ damages a player, that player reveals his or her hand"?
Ethreal Stalker {1}{B}
{B}: ~ gains shadow permanently.
{B}: ~ Loses shadow permanently.
2/1
I like the card but the bookkeeping seems odious.
Mindwarp Shambler {B}{B}
Pay 2 life: Rakdos Augermage's ability.
2/2
oh god. I think a huge number of the games in which this is played on turn 2 you just completely win the game. At least it's only as a sorcery.
some one drops
These all look fine, though obviously strong. I think unworthy is more interesting from a design standpoint than it is in actual play. I have enough trouble getting my group to play equipment cards (that aren't, like, amazing) without including creatures that specifically discourage you from playing equipment.
Silent Judge {1}{W}
Artifacts and lands enter the battlefield taped
Vigilance
2/1
This strikes me as probably slightly more fun to play against than Thalia just because of the symmetry? I think it's worth trying.
Studdervenom Snake {1}{G} (Possibly {U}/{G}{U}/{G})
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, counter target activated or triggered ability from a nonland source.
2/1
Oh god what. I dunno, I couldn't think of anything broken to do with it outside of Phyrexian Dreadnought so it's probably a fun cube card.
Colossal Stalker {4}{G}{G}
Provoke
At the beginning of the end step, you may have ~ phase out
6/5
I've thought about that second ability for my cube but I don't want to have to explain phasing to new players. Your mileage.
Aiora, the wild Seer {1}{R}{U}
Flying
Whenever a noncreature source deals damage to an opponent, you may draw a card
2/3

Spellweaving {1}{R}{U}
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand and pay it's mana cost. If you do, copy that card. You may cast the copy without paying it's mana cost.
Okay so these are both rad and need to be tested. I really like that Spellweaving casts copies instead of splicing, because it makes you less vulnerable to counterspells and allows you to multitrigger Talrand. Also love that Aiora helps cards like Staggershock that are already great by making their worst-case much, much better. The Pestilence synergy sounds completely busted though.