General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
*bashful joke about stealing my tech*
Of course I'm stealing your tech man, it's sweet tech! :D (Also I've been looking for less mediocre colorless beaters for a while now. Juggernaut just got the axe in my cube)
I dunno, I kind of like to have people pay more for their information than fringe benefit an on-curve aggro creature. Maybe "When ~ damages a player, that player reveals his or her hand"?
*Shrug* It could, but 99% of the time these two will play out the exact same.
I like the card but the bookkeeping seems odious.
It hadn't proven to be too bad. before it was a 0: activation, which essentially eliminates the need for bookkeeping. Better, or too good?
oh god. I think a huge number of the games in which this is played on turn 2 you just completely win the game. At least it's only as a sorcery.
Dangit I keep forgetting to add "only once per turn". At least I added a cost, and it isn't just 0: ability, like the origional :p
These all look fine, though obviously strong. I think unworthy is more interesting from a design standpoint than it is in actual play. I have enough trouble getting my group to play equipment cards (that aren't, like, amazing) without including creatures that specifically discourage you from playing equipment.
While these creatures were in my cube at the same time as a push toward more combat tricks/auras/equipment, I'll admit I balanced them in that they would be strong (but fine) assuming that unworthy was just flavor text. Loxodon Smiter is a strong card sure, but we all know Knight of the Reliquary is stronger.
This strikes me as probably slightly more fun to play against than Thalia just because of the symmetry? I think it's worth trying.
That's kinda the aim here, yeah :p
I'm not sure my cube needs another thallia, but the minute it does, damn am I tagging this guy in. I've got the sweetest artwork lined up too :D
Oh god what. I dunno, I couldn't think of anything broken to do with it outside of Phyrexian Dreadnought so it's probably a fun cube card.
Nothing you could do with this guy is no more broken than what you could do with stifle, and I've taken out the main reason play stifle: as strip mine. I think a 2/1 Sinkhole is probably too good, no?
I've thought about that second ability for my cube but I don't want to have to explain phasing to new players. Your mileage.
I would probably add the reminder text of "Exile ~ until the beginning of your next untap step. Counters and anything attached stay attached to him"
Okay so these are both rad and need to be tested. I really like that Spellweaving casts copies instead of splicing, because it makes you less vulnerable to counterspells and allows you to multitrigger Talrand. Also love that Aiora helps cards like Staggershock that are already great by making their worst-case much, much better. The Pestilence synergy sounds completely busted though.
I actually went with the fork wording because I suspect nobody remembers what splice is anymore, and this card is wordy enough without reminder text having to explain that.
I actually didn't think of pestilence (or I suppose pyrohemia). Not a card in my cube by any strech, but should it only trigger on instant or sorcery? or are we okay with Chandra drawing cards?

*Shrug* It could, but 99% of the time these two will play out the exact same.
Well, with the change, the player on the other side has the potential to turn off the information leak by playing a flying blocker. Subgame? It's probably not that big a deal unless you run stuff like Cabal Therapy.
I would probably add the reminder text of "Exile ~ until the beginning of your next untap step. Counters and anything attached stay attached to him"
Except that phasing doesn't trigger etb/ltb abilities, that'd get the point across, sure.
I actually didn't think of pestilence (or I suppose pyrohemia). Not a card in my cube by any strech, but should it only trigger on instant or sorcery? or are we okay with Chandra drawing cards?
That depends on what kind of best case plays other decks get to make when they curve 3 into 4 with their best, most synergistic cards, or do something insane on turn 4 after setting up. How does Aiora into Firebrand work out, then? Seems like it's worse than Blade Splicer into Birthing Pod, Lingering Souls into Hero of Oxid Ridge, JTMS on his own, or Reanimate for something insane. Wait are you even playing Chandra in your cube? Anyway it's good but not busted. I say if you get it out with Koth emblem you deserve a bit of fun.

Do you want Aiora's controller to have to control the source of the damage? As is if your opponent plays Earthquake you draw a card; is this intended?

Spyhawk {1}{U}
Flying
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
2/1

I love this concept (Telepathy is one of my favorite cards), but it's really under-costed. A 2/1 flyer for {1}{U} is already a very good card and perfectly playable on its own.

I'd say it's balanced as a 2/2 flyer for {2}{U}{U}. This is similar in power to Mist Raven (i.e. Wind Drake + Unsummon).

Alternatively, you could put the ability on a Kraken Hatchling and make it an 0/4 or 0/5 defender for {1}{U}.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well, with the change, the player on the other side has the potential to turn off the information leak by playing a flying blocker. Subgame? It's probably not that big a deal unless you run stuff like Cabal Therapy.
Except that phasing doesn't trigger etb/ltb abilities, that'd get the point across, sure.
That depends on what kind of best case plays other decks get to make when they curve 3 into 4 with their best, most synergistic cards, or do something insane on turn 4 after setting up. How does Aiora into Firebrand work out, then? Seems like it's worse than Blade Splicer into Birthing Pod, Lingering Souls into Hero of Oxid Ridge, JTMS on his own, or Reanimate for something insane. Wait are you even playing Chandra in your cube? Anyway it's good but not busted. I say if you get it out with Koth emblem you deserve a bit of fun.
Do you want Aiora's controller to have to control the source of the damage? As is if your opponent plays Earthquake you draw a card; is this intended?

I wonder if I just copy paste Obzedat's ability and just call it a day :p
I'm actually not playing any of the 4 chandras in my cube at the moment, so I doubt it'll be broken :p
OH MAN I SO WANT TO DO THAT WITH KOTH THOUGH. I mean, my opponent will probably just concede, but still :p
Wait, it doesn't say "you control"? It should, I have painlands in my cube o_O

I love this concept (Telepathy is one of my favorite cards), but it's really under-costed. A 2/1 flyer for {1}{U} is already a very good card and perfectly playable on its own.
I'd say it's balanced as a 2/2 flyer for {2}{U}{U}. This is similar in power to Mist Raven (i.e. Wind Drake + Unsummon).
Alternatively, you could put the ability on a Kraken Hatchling and make it an 0/4 or 0/5 defender for {1}{U}.

Stapling cards together only works if what you're looking to create is close to the power level of the cards in question. Kraken Hatchling, Wind Drake, Telepathy and even Mist Raven are all more traditional limited power level, and any combination of those cards is going to be around that power level (Which is not something I'm looking to cube with. I get enough of regular level limited in the day job).

Wizards makes draft commons by rolling dice with the numbers on commons every day. We try and make cube cards by playing with the diamonds.*

And lets face it, Telepathy is no diamond :p

*The slight exception to the rule here is lightning helix, where an amazing effect and a horrible one are combined to make a rather strong one.

The haste giving living weapon seems really bad at giving anything other than itself haste... Well relevantly.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yup, but it's great at giving something haste and 2 power, which is way more relavant. If you have greaves and topdeck isaumaru, their horned turtle bricks you. With this, you have an actual threat.
Also after a bit of mental playtesting, 4 is almost certainly the perfect equip cost. 3 would be REALLY good, since that 6th land to give bears the boost is crucial here

Why is six mana important for decks playing bears? The decks I make like that are always trying to kill people way earlier and they don't really wana get to six. They kinda wana leave that to the Baloth decks and try to play another burn spell or lion.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not the actual sixth land, the fact that it takes 6 total mana (something that won't happen as easily as 5) to play and equip to a bear. Since a lot of 2 drops in cube have 3 power, this is doing it's best Lava Axe impersonation.
All these modes are marginal, but considering it's all attached to a creature I'd play anyway (I almost put in a {1}{R} 2/1 haste), i'd say it's pretty sweet

Yeah I get that it's a good creature but also serviceable equipment. My concern is figuring out a way to make the haste more relevant on the thing for the decks that wana play a 2/1 haste.

Also that creature is not the sort of thing salvation lets you get away with.

Back in 03-05 on brainburst we hadn't seen a proper duress since therapy and we were pretty sure we would never see anything better. Same goes for cards like dark banishing and smother, which seemed like where they wanted removal to be.

Now we hear the same things about how cards like stone rain have gone out of style forever, people want to immediately slap you for any instant speed card advantage and of course we can't imagine splash able counter spells anymore.

On another fun note:

My red liliana

Tibalt, Lunatic 1R
Planeswalker - Tibalt
+1: Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
-1: Discard a card from your hand, then draw a card
-7: You gain an emblem that reads: "Sacrifice a permanent: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player."
[2HP]

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Some fun ones from goodgamery:

Beckoning Angel 3WW
Creature - Angel
Flying
W: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
4/4

(this could be a 3/3 for 2WW, imo)

Brain Gobbler 1B
Creature - Zombie
B, Sacrifice a creature: Target player discards a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
One taste is never enough.
2/1

Dream Tiller 1U
Creature - Faerie Wizard
Flying
1U: Put target card in a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library. Dream Tiller gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
U: Target player shuffles his or her library.
1/1

Frenzied Brawler 2R
Creature - Human Barbarian
Discard a card: Frenzied Brawler gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Madness R
2/2

Phyrexian Reclaimer 3
Artifact Creature - Zombie Horror
Pay 1 life: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature or artifact card, put a +1/+1 counter on Phyrexian Reclaimer.
2, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Phyrexian Reclaimer: Phyrexian Reclaimer deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Relentless Ghoul 1B
Creature - Zombie
At the beginning of your upkeep, (if ~ is in your gy?) you may return Relentless Ghoul from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/1

Uncontrolled Blaze X1RR
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices X lands. Uncontroled Blaze deals X damage to each creature.

Warp Time 2UU
Sorcery
Target player takes an extra turn after this one.

(^ obviously not original, but I think 2UU is the right cost for that effect as a Cube card)

Goblin Landsalter 3R
Creature - Goblin
When ~ ETB, destroy target (nonbasic?) land
Evoke 2R
Unearth 3RR
2/1

Cropseeder G
Creature - Elf
T: Untap target land
1/1

Burning Confidant 1R
Creature - Human Wizard
~ can't block.
At beginning of upkeep, draw a card, then reveal a card from hand at random. ~ deals damage to you equal
to that card's CMC.
2/1

Unimaginatively named blue spell 1UU
Instant
Choose one: counter target spell; or return target
permanent to its owner's hand.
Entwine 1U

Cogitate 1U
Instant (/Sorcery?)
Draw two cards, then either discard two cards or put two cards from your hand on top/bottom of your library.
Flashback 2U

(love the idea here, though not sure about the flashback and various other features)

Coiling Lavamancer UR
Creature - Snake Wizard 1/1
Flash
When Coiling Lavamancer comes into play, reveal the top card of your library. If it’s an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 2 or less, you may play that card without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.

I can't think of a sorcery that costs 2 or less that's too strong if you flip it as an instant besides maybe Balance. Obviously unfair with cards without mana costs such as Ancestral Vision and (lol) Hypergenesis. Nevertheless I think it's a cool (and Izzet-flavored) way to get an unpredictable level of value- cast it in response to someone playing an important spell for one last chance to hit Counterspell, but maybe flip Lightning Bolt and wish you had waited for their creature to resolve. Worst case it's better than cycling.

If your environment has the power to support this + deck manipulation + Hypergenesis as an actual deck: Congratulations, you have won at Cube.

Can we have an rg coiling lavaman? I really would rather green get more good cards than blue. Especially ones that aren't necessarily to do with attacking.

I would love to see reasonable RG removal that doesn't just feel worse than an easily cited red spell.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Some fun ones from goodgamery:
Beckoning Angel 3WW
Creature - Angel
Flying
W: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
4/4

(this could be a 3/3 for 2WW, imo)

interesting idea. I like it way more as a 4 drop, it feels a bit more like emeria angel that way. Nice take on the scavenging ooze idea

Brain Gobbler 1B
Creature - Zombie
B, Sacrifice a creature: Target player discards a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
One taste is never enough.
2/1

I like that the activation stops people from nugging too many cards on turn 3. This seems quite well balanced, and much more in line with what you want to be doing in cube than something like Sadistic Hypnotist

Dream Tiller 1U
Creature - Faerie Wizard
Flying
1U: Put target card in a graveyard on the bottom of its owner's library. Dream Tiller gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
U: Target player shuffles his or her library.
1/1
Why doesn't this just shuffle the card in? Also the power boost seems largely out of place, and could actually lead to this being a combo card, since you choose. Mindshreiker is a better design because of the tension it creates, despite the fact that the card is marketly worse for it. I'm not actually sure where to go with this one.

Frenzied Brawler 2R
Creature - Human Barbarian
Discard a card: Frenzied Brawler gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Madness R
2/2
Seems alright. I might like him better as a R1 2/1, since wild mongrel isn't all he's cracked up to be anymore (in that he's no longer the best creature in magic, now he needs graveyard interaction to be playable)

Phyrexian Reclaimer {3}
Artifact Creature - Zombie Horror
Pay 1 life: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature or artifact card, put a +1/+1 counter on Phyrexian Reclaimer.
2, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Phyrexian Reclaimer: Phyrexian Reclaimer deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2
What is this, scavenging ooze in every other color day? :p
He's interesting. it's a little weird that he can just tatical carpet bomb the graveyard so long as it's not 20 relevant cards, and he does seem to get stronger at a good step.
I think I like mana better than life here.

Relentless Ghoul 1B
Creature - Zombie
At the beginning of your upkeep, (if ~ is in your gy?) you may return Relentless Ghoul from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/1

fuck man, why didn't I think of that?

Uncontrolled Blaze X1RR
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices X lands. Uncontroled Blaze deals X damage to each creature.

Yeah, this is probably what a scalable wildfire would look like. It's probably fair, but I think it's worse than wildfire. Take that as you will.

Warp Time 2UU
Sorcery
Target player takes an extra turn after this one.

(^ obviously not original, but I think 2UU is the right cost for that effect as a Cube card)
You know, I might play this. Though some asshole is going to say "I'd play it at 5 mana, but at 4 there's just too much competition"
As if making a card better suddenly makes it unplayable.

Goblin Landsalter 3R
Creature - Goblin
When ~ ETB, destroy target (nonbasic?) land
Evoke 2R
Unearth 3RR
2/1

I have a few problems here, one of which is goblin settler and the other of which is stone rain.
Settler is a strong card, and mostly the reason is doesn't see play is that A) it's 50$ because starter is stupid, and B) Most red sections have too much of a hard on for RDW to include a single card that doesn't play well in it, so they use Avalanche Riders instead.
That said, stone rain plus is a strong ass card, especially one with flashback, let alone one with flashback that can be abused by shit like lark and kiki-jiki

Evoke probably needs to be {1}{R}{R}, it deffinitly needs to be nonbasic, and it'd probably remove the second point of power. I think the unearth cost is okay, but be careful with this guy. Look at all the unearth guys with ETB triggers, they were all really weak. There's a lot of value to mans here.

Cropseeder G
Creature - Elf
T: Untap target land
1/1

This is deffinitly too good. Looking aside that it's just llanowar elves where forest is reflecting pool, untapping any of the old lands or lands with abilities is pretty insane, let alone the more innocuous interaction with stuff like wild growth.
He's probably better than noble hierarch, who I'd say is the best mana elf ever.

Burning Confidant 1R
Creature - Human Wizard
~ can't block.
At beginning of upkeep, draw a card, then reveal a card from hand at random. ~ deals damage to you equal
to that card's CMC.
2/1

I don't know if this is way better or way worse than dark confidant. Probably worse, but probably not worse enough to be printable, and if this is how the cycle of overpowered 2 drops ends, I'll be greatly disappointed.
I think the only way he's getting printed is if it's a huge mistake.

Unimaginatively named blue spell 1UU
Instant
Choose one: counter target spell; or return target
permanent to its owner's hand.
Entwine 1U

interesting. I've got the same card as U1 with no entwine, but it adds an interesting dimension. It should probably be {U}{U}, entwine {2}{U}, as 3 mana tempo counters are pretty lackluster. I mean who plays Lapse of Certainty?

Cogitate 1U
Instant (/Sorcery?)
Draw two cards, then either discard two cards or put two cards from your hand on top/bottom of your library.
Flashback 2U

(love the idea here, though not sure about the flashback and various other features)

This is one of those cards that looks fine on the surface, but is actually insanely broken.
For an additional mana on careful study, we get:
-Flashback for {2}{U}, not out of the question, I mean look at faithless looting
-Instant, okay, little more worried now
-The ability to put cards in the graveyard, or put them anywhere in your library without any help? That pushes it over the line.

Brainstorm has long been used to shuffle combo pieces the player has drawn back into their library to be tinkered for or whatever. It's also been used to put cards on top for the purpose of miracles or dark confidant triggers, or to dodge cabal therapy.
So all that utility, and you want to add the fact that it's also a graveyard enabler? way too much. Pick one of the three modes (Top/Bottom/Yard) and stick with it.

Can we have an rg coiling lavaman? I really would rather green get more good cards than blue. Especially ones that aren't necessarily to do with attacking.
I would love to see reasonable RG removal that doesn't just feel worse than an easily cited red spell.
Probably. I think the UR version makes more sense though. The precedence for a RG one would basically be bloodbraid elf, and while the best cascade card, she was hardly alone.

I think Cogitate could be fine, though strong, in a cube environment. Paying 2 mana for no card advantage tends to be too slow for a lot of cubes. You only want to cast Faithless Looting when you're dissatisfied enough with your hand to go for a pseudo-mulligan, and I think Cogitate will be similar. Furthermore, a lot of Careful Study's power comes from being The Cheapest Graveyard Enabler; a reanimator deck that hits on 3 is much less dangerous than one that hits on 2. Sure, it digs for answers at instant speed, but you want your Think Twice analogue to actually put you up on cards because even in cube control often trades one for one with threats, so if you're using Cogitate to find those answers you're getting more behind. Furthermore the Brainstorm tricks you mention are really fun to execute and having access to those more often is probably good for a lot of cubes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's probably fine for cube but far to flexible for regular constructed environments. That might be okay, but post erratta chaos orb is fine for cube bad for constructed.

Okay, I think it'll be pretty obvious what this card is here for. It didn't used to have exalted but everyone on salvation said it wasn't strong enough with just extortion.

Fickle Acolyte
manawb.gif

Creature - Zombie Cleric (R)
Exalted, Extort
mana2.gif
, Pay 2 life: Add
manaw.gif
manaw.gif
manab.gif
manab.gif
or
manaw.gif
manab.gif
to your mana pool.
1/1

I posted in the MTGS Custom thread about redgoyfe or redcaster or redcondifant etc
Thread here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=10446252#post10446252
Beyond the obvious forkcaster mage ideas what do ya'll think

I have some exceptional card ideas for you guys that are so simple they've probably been done to death

Cinder Sage {1}{R}
Creature - human or goblin wizard
When you cast Cinder Sage, Cinder Sage deals 1 damage to target creature or player and 1 damage to you
2/1

Raving Lunatic
mana1.gif
manaur.gif

Creature - human wizard
When Raving Lunstic comes into play discard a card from your hand and draw a card.
2/1

Back-Alley Prophet {1}{R}
Creature - Human something
{1}{R} , exile Back-alley Prophet from your graveyard: Discard two cards and draw two cards.
2/1

I also have one that flashes back to stonerain, misguided rage, falter, carbonize

And my favourite

Vulgar Rabble {1}{R}
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever an opponent plays a spell with converted mana cost 4 or more, vulgar rabble deals 2 damage to that player
2/1[/

What do ya'll think of

A) Sliver Savannah Lions
B) Human or Soldier or Zombie or Goblin or something Muscle Sliver