General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, Acid-Moss doesn't set the bar very high. It's just that while it's a spell that ramps, this is a land that casts a spell, which I think is nearly an order of magnitude better because it doesn't cost you any slots in your deck. Have there been any precedents for this? Honest question, as I can't recall either way.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Acid-Moss doesn't set the bar very high. It's just that while it's a spell that ramps, this is a land that casts a spell, which I think is nearly an order of magnitude better because it doesn't cost you any slots in your deck. Have there been any precedents for this? Honest question, as I can't recall either way.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Well, that sacrifices, so while you get your pinpoint land destruction, you're theoretically still at card parity.

These lands draw you a Pillage.

Maybe the closest comparison would be the Windbrisk Heights cycle, which also drew you a card. I suppose if something like Shelldock Isle can exist, these should be kosher.

Can somebody make Innistrad spell lands for the color pairs that have unplayable lands?
did you see my utility land cycle:
heres a 10 color utility land cycle, any thoughts? (me and my friend designed these for that cube i keep mentioning)

Everflame Grove
Land
Everflame Grove enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {R} or {G} to your mana pool.
{2}{R/G}, {T}: Target attacking creature deals damage equal to its power to defending player.

Magmatic Coffers
Land
Magmatic Coffers enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {B} or {R} to your mana pool.
{2}{B/R}, {T}: Add {B} to your mana pool for each card in your graveyard.

Primordial Lagoon
Land
Primordial Lagoon enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {B} or {G} to your mana pool.
{2}{B/G}, {T}, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.

Riptide Test Chamber
Land
Riptide Test Chamber enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {W} or {U} to your mana pool.
{2}{W/U}, {T}: Return target Wizard or Spirit you control to its owner’s hand.

Salvegrass Field
Land
Salvegrass Field enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {G} or {W} to your mana pool.
{2}{G/W}, {T}: Search your library for a basic land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. Return Salvegrass Field to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.

Scrying Grove
Land
Scrying Grove enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {G} or {U} to your mana pool.
{2}{G/U}, {T}: Look at the top card of your library. If that card is a land, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.

Slayers’ Fortress
Land
Slayers’ Fortress enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {R} or {W} to your mana pool.
{2}{R/W}, {T}: Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains vigilance and haste until end of turn.

Stronghold Ruins
Land
Stronghold Ruins enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {W} or {B} to your mana pool.
{2}{W/B}, {T}: Put target artifact or creature card from your graveyard on top of your library.

Sunken Catacombs
Land
Sunken Catacombs enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool.
{2}{U/B}, {T}: Name a card. Target opponent guesses whether a card with that name is in your hand. You may reveal your hand. If you do and your opponent guessed wrong, draw a card.

Vapor Springs
Land
Vapor Springs enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {U} or {R} to your mana pool.
{2}{U/R}, {T}: Draw two cards, then discard three cards.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but I specifically want non-tapped lands that don't fix.

Scrying Grove is pretty neat though. Sunken Catacombs is a little wild.

i cant decide if this needs to be br or bg but i'll think more about this when im more sober

land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1BR, T: Exile target card from a graveyard. Each opponent loses 2 life. You gain 2 life.

here's a few options. im not really good with flavor so the names will be lacking

Deathrite Wastes
Land
{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{1}{B}{G}, {T}: Exile target card from a graveyard. Each opponent loses 2 life. You gain 2 life.

Desolate Crackhouse
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}, Discard a card: Scry 2, then draw a card. You lose 1 life.

Flingland
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}, Sacrifice a creature: Flingland deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Golgari Switcher
Land
{B}{G}, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Put target land card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

Happy Backwoods
Land
{2}{B}{G}, {T}, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Draw a card.

The Other Scrying Grove
Land
{G}{U}, {T}: Look at the top card of your library. If that card is a land, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.

Rakdos Clocktower
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}: Name a card. Target opponent guesses whether a card with that name is in your hand. You may reveal your hand. If you do and your opponent guessed wrong, Rakdos Clocktower deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Rakdos Scrollhouse
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}: Name a card. Reveal a card at random from your hand. If it’s the named card, Rakdos Scrollhouse deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Self-Rotating Crops
Land
{G}{U}, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Search your library for a land card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Sensei’s Divining Grove
Land
{G/U}, {T}: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
{T}: Draw a card, then put Sensei’s Divining Grove on top of its owner’s library.

Thoughtful Glade
Land
{1}{G}{U}, {T}: Put a card from your hand on top of your library, scry 2, then draw a card.

Yawgmoth’s House
Land
{2}{B}{R}, {T}: Target sorcery card in a graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.

another quick one i thought of
Tony Hawk's MTGO Wasteland
Land
{B}{R}, {T}, Sacrifice ~: Destroy target nonbasic land.

edit:
feel free to adjust mana cost on activations to taste if i'm off on something these were all just kind of brainstormed out

here's yet another one, kind of obvious idk why i didnt think of it before
Battlecry Swampmountain
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}: Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like the Scrollhouse. Yagmoth's House seems massively unplayable.

I wonder if Deathrite Wastes isn't massively OP.

I like the Scrollhouse. Yagmoth's House seems massively unplayable.

I wonder if Deathrite Wastes isn't massively OP.
i was scared w/ yawgmoth's house because actual card advantage needs restrictions on lands or else its broken

and yeah deathrite wastes might easily be. if i think of some more i guess i'll post them

the more i think about it, the more i realize it definitely is broken. probably make it only exile noncreatures or something to start w/ to give it less targets, and maybe throw another mana on

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
the more i think about it, the more i realize it definitely is broken. probably make it only exile noncreatures or something to start w/ to give it less targets, and maybe throw another mana on

Well, I mean, consider how good of a finisher Creeping Tar Pit is, and it doesn't gain life and can be bolted. And needs to be activated on your turn.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
for the BG land, could we do a recurring nightmare variant, but at random?

like {1}{B}{G}{T}, sacrifice a creature: Return a random creature from your graveyard to the battlefield?

I figure the extra mana, the extra color, and the lack of control make up for nightmare being such a miserable card sometimes. Arguably, it being a land makes it more vulnerable, unlike nightmare which despite being printed as an enchantment, acts like a sorcery (since your opponent won't get priority in time)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also, for a spells matter idea:

1U 2/1
Instants and sorceries you cast cost U less

super broke for constructed (goblin electromancer) but for cube?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Happy Backwoods might also be too strong, considering Loothouse is strong(ish), and that's just straight looting. Like the idea of more card draw in GB though.

Also, for a spells matter idea:

1U 2/1
Instants and sorceries you cast cost U less

super broke for constructed (goblin electromancer) but for cube?
my cube runs
Minotaur Electromancer {U/R}{U/R}
Creature - Minotaur Wizard
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
3/2

so far i'm very satisfied, guy gets run in all sorts of decks

for the BG land, could we do a recurring nightmare variant, but at random?

like {1}{B}{G}{T}, sacrifice a creature: Return a random creature from your graveyard to the battlefield?

I figure the extra mana, the extra color, and the lack of control make up for nightmare being such a miserable card sometimes. Arguably, it being a land makes it more vulnerable, unlike nightmare which despite being printed as an enchantment, acts like a sorcery (since your opponent won't get priority in time)
also recurring nightmare returns itself to hand at instant speed.
maybe put the thawing glaciers clause "Return Thawing Glaciers to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next cleanup step."

Well, I mean, consider how good of a finisher Creeping Tar Pit is, and it doesn't gain life and can be bolted. And needs to be activated on your turn.
yeah you're pretty much right. they won't always have cards in their graveyard though. (lol as if that stopped deathrite shaman from being insane). Probably make it a +1 -1 life swing too.

Happy Backwoods might also be too strong, considering Loothouse is strong(ish), and that's just straight looting. Like the idea of more card draw in GB though.
yeah, maybe needs to exile 2 cards and lose a life or something of that nature.

Me and Eric talked about this yesterday:

Half-elf ______ {1}({W}/{G}) ({W}/{G})
Creature - Human Elf Wizard
When Half-elf ______ enters the battlefield, destroy target artifact or enchantment.
2/2

I might be inclined to give it another ability or point of toughness though.

hybrid is totally one of my favourite magic things.