General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Yeah a lot of those sorts of ideas have been hanging in my head of late. I guess part of it is my want to make cards, but from a design perspective, designing a sorta easy to grack but rich limited environment that mimics the dynamics of strong limited decks or casual play is something that is often on my mind but I don't have the wherewithal to really dig deep and make it out of existing cards.

Things I find myself coming back to when thinking about designing limited or learning materials. Things that want to be deep but simple and don't need much building around to make work:
Hybrid
Kicker
Flash Back
Cycling
Land interaction

Too many of these are kinda filling the same space for what it does for an environment though so maybe I need to pick a direction before I start rolling but those are the sort of things I really feel like make relatively standard magic flow more freely and full of little exciting decisions and incentives.

More submissions:

Predator's Eye {G}
Instant
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature, it gains provoke until end of turn.

(I looooove mean pump spells but this one can go so many ways!)

Elvish Revelers {3}{G}
Creature - Elf
When Elvish Revelers enters the battlefield reveal the top card of your library, if it is a creature or land card put it into your hand.
3/3

Humble Ascetic {2}{G}
Creature - Human Monk
Sacrifice Humble Ascetic: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
2/3

Cistern Hulk {5}{B}{B}
Creature - Zombie Construct
Intimidate
Cycling 2
4/5

Wild Temper {2}{R}
Sorcery
Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Discard a card then draw a card.

Timely Rescuer {2}{W}
Creature - Human Knight
Flash
When Timely Rescuer enters the battlefield prevent 1 damage to target creature or player
2/2

What sorta basic gameplay do vampires take advantage of?
Do the more powerful vampires require something from you to sorta unlock?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
No Power / Toughness. Just an ethereal creature that dies when it ETBs, triggering Kalastria Highborn over and over and over.

And wizard tribal!
well that solution was slightly different

is there a good site that where i can put a custom card cube list up? i want feedback on that cube and i feel like part of the reason i havent gotten much comments is downloading an mse file is annoying. too bad cubetutor doesnt have custom card support its such a great site otherwise

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
is there a good site that where i can put a custom card cube list up? i want feedback on that cube and i feel like part of the reason i havent gotten much comments is downloading an mse file is annoying. too bad cubetutor doesnt have custom card support its such a great site otherwise

Yeah, I get the sense this is probably holding people back. I don't know what an MSE file is, but do you have a bunch of card images that you could upload to an image sharing site? Having all your cards up on a page somewhere should net you a better response.

Yeah, I get the sense this is probably holding people back. I don't know what an MSE file is, but do you have a bunch of card images that you could upload to an image sharing site? Having all your cards up on a page somewhere should net you a better response.
mse is magic set editor
after some searching ive found http://multiverse.heroku.com/ but theres no easy obvious way for me to import the data which is mildly annoying but i might go through with it if i cant find a better alternative

well it accepts csv files and there's no obvious way to turn mse files into csv files time to learn this weird mse scripting language for the exporter

ok well that site's csv importer is apparently broken. im just horribly dumb and realized i can export forum code and dump it into a spoiler tag. im sure my cell phone will melt trying to load the post though
edit: nevermind
The following error occurred:

Please enter a message with no more than 100000 characters

editedit: i guess i will pastebin this

That is many characters. You could break it across posts, and definitely should break it across spoiler tags.
I've just been using pastebin in the relevant thread in the cubelists subforum, i don't know if that's problematic for people at all. I will upload a card image gallery somewhere when it is more finished but me and my friend are actively working on it and that takes too long to reupload on my bad internet so its not practical

there was discussion about fair equipment that doesn't also suck in the equipment thread. something like swords without the clunkiness, without protection from color. im not really sure if this is it but i tried. its more likely to be unfair and suck. names arent really great either but whatever. the color/creature thing is to help promote themes in the cube im working on.

Coalition Mace {1}{W}
Artifact — Equipment
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0 for each of its colors, has protection from monocolored creatures, and is a white Soldier in addition to its other colors and types.
Equip {2}

Paradox Mask {1}{U}
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and is a blue Mutant in addition to its other colors and types.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, draw two cards, then discard a card.
Equip {1}

Staff of Light and Shadow {1}{B}
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets deathtouch and is a black Cleric in addition to its other colors and types.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you gain 2 life and you may return up to one target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Equip {2}

Magma Scythe {1}{R}
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and is a red Warrior in addition to its other colors and types.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, Magma Scythe deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you Scry 2.
Equip {2}

Explorer’s Axe {1}{G}
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and is a green Scout in addition to its other colors and types.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, look at the top card of your library. If it’s a land card, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped.
Equip {G}

Your coloured equipment ideas are close to my own. Only weirder. Maybe it's the right direction!

Anyone have anything to tell me about vampires so I can get inspired and whatever?

Anyway, stuff I thunked:

Curse of Haunting {2}{B}
Instant
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
If you control a wizard you may return a creature card in your graveyard to hand.

Council Intervention {1}{U}{U}
Instant
Counter target spell.
Affinity for wizards.

(Should this do something cool?)

Now for something completely different

Scour the Tomb {1}{B}
Sorcery
Return a creature card from your graveyard to hand.
Draw a card and lose 1 life.

heres a 10 color utility land cycle, any thoughts? (me and my friend designed these for that cube i keep mentioning)

Everflame Grove
Land
Everflame Grove enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {R} or {G} to your mana pool.
{2}{R/G}, {T}: Target attacking creature deals damage equal to its power to defending player.

Magmatic Coffers
Land
Magmatic Coffers enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {B} or {R} to your mana pool.
{2}{B/R}, {T}: Add {B} to your mana pool for each card in your graveyard.

Primordial Lagoon
Land
Primordial Lagoon enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {B} or {G} to your mana pool.
{2}{B/G}, {T}, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.

Riptide Test Chamber
Land
Riptide Test Chamber enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {W} or {U} to your mana pool.
{2}{W/U}, {T}: Return target Wizard or Spirit you control to its owner’s hand.

Salvegrass Field
Land
Salvegrass Field enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {G} or {W} to your mana pool.
{2}{G/W}, {T}: Search your library for a basic land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. Return Salvegrass Field to its owner’s hand at the beginning of the next end step.

Scrying Grove
Land
Scrying Grove enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {G} or {U} to your mana pool.
{2}{G/U}, {T}: Look at the top card of your library. If that card is a land, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.

Slayers’ Fortress
Land
Slayers’ Fortress enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {R} or {W} to your mana pool.
{2}{R/W}, {T}: Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains vigilance and haste until end of turn.

Stronghold Ruins
Land
Stronghold Ruins enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {W} or {B} to your mana pool.
{2}{W/B}, {T}: Put target artifact or creature card from your graveyard on top of your library.

Sunken Catacombs
Land
Sunken Catacombs enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool.
{2}{U/B}, {T}: Name a card. Target opponent guesses whether a card with that name is in your hand. You may reveal your hand. If you do and your opponent guessed wrong, draw a card.

Vapor Springs
Land
Vapor Springs enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {U} or {R} to your mana pool.
{2}{U/R}, {T}: Draw two cards, then discard three cards.

Your coloured equipment ideas are close to my own. Only weirder. Maybe it's the right direction!
yeah, perhaps they are a little weird. i dunno. i've had a chance to play with the white one so far and it wasn't too oppressive. I can't wait to try to draft that cube when it's done.

in response to your cards:
-i like the first one a lot but at the same time it might be too weak turned off and too strong turned on. not sure
-the second one is fine but perhaps a little unexciting, but not every card needs to be exciting. that's probably something wrong w/ my designs is trying to make cards do too much.
-the last one is very very powerful. i think it is powerful in a fair way though. compare sign in blood.

I just think it's kinda essential to have a sweet card like that for green or maybe a hybrid. Hopefully making being at 3 mana more relevant. If not a sweet equipment something like a ajani 3 or curse of predation or hunting Moa are what I'm in the market for.

Your lands are fascinating. I wonder how they affect the multicolor saturation. I love hybrid so much so I'm inclined to err in their favor.

One idea I had recently:

Ancient Highway
Land (U)
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1, T, Sacrifice Ancient Highway: Search your library for a plains card and put it into play. Shuffle.

Edit as necessary. These make great fixing for decks prioritizing duals and are far more interactive than normal basics while giving you interesting sequencing decisions in colour heavy decks.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, spontaneous blue creature interlude:

Young Archivist {1}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may draw a card and discard a card.
{1}{U}: ~ Gains flying
2/1

Mad Sticher {1}{U} (Less sure if I need this guy)
Creature - Human Wizard
{U}, Sacrifice a creature: Draw a card
2/1

Spiketail Famaliar {2}{U}
Creature - Drake
Flash, Flying
When Spiketail Famaliar enters the battlefield, you may counter target spell unless its controller pays {1}.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
2/1

Wash Away {U}
Sorcery
Multikicker 1U (You may pay an additional 1U any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Return target creature to its owners hand. Then, return X target creatures to their owners hands, where X is the number of times Wash Away was kicked.