General Secret Lair Spoilers

We’ve seen many Secret Lairs before but we’ve never had a spoiler thread. I guess it never made sense because they were always ‘just new skins’ to existing cards. Not this time.

From Secret Lair: The Walking Dead
On sale: October 4 -> October 12

6F617E0D-CF93-4634-AB69-E4EA143F6CF9.jpeg 1D84758D-93C4-47D0-A819-A8EC4906088D.jpeg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah... definitely not a fan of this development. As soon as they print a "must have" card for any format, those prices are going to skyrocket.

Of course they've done it before with stuff like the Sword of Dungeons & Dragons and the My Little Pony package, but still.

I’m glad the cards are mostly not relevant to cube.

I’m disappointed they aren’t silver border. princess twilight sparkle is the right place to be for limited print run Non-magic IP unique cards; Or, if it must be black border, Zilortha, strength incarnate is tolerable (but the card better be _awful_)

I think the more secret lair goes on the less I like the product line. Probably doesn’t help there isn’t a WPN store near me anyway.

Negan’s rulestext would be super cool on like, a red black pirate for 1RB. I don’t understand what’s white about the effect.

rather than double post: I actually like silver border tie ins, I feel like the Un sets are already full of pop culture nods so it doesn’t feel wrong in a way these do.

I liked the godzills skins in ikoria
This right here is the worst
Nice to see they're getting a shit storm for it

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah practically cold take at this point: Nexus of Fate was a bad idea, Sunsong was a bad idea, this is an even worse idea.

Also, treasure tokens are actually in the game rules now, so they don't need to be defined on the card.

Since when did we stop telling people what creature tokens do for simplicity? Walkers are 2/2 zombies because of course they are, but when did we stop telling people that?
the-walking-dead-bicycle-girl-token-1--1235521.jpeg

Also prescient flavor text go.

Also, treasure tokens are actually in the game rules now, so they don't need to be defined on the card.

Since when did we stop telling people what creature tokens do for simplicity? Walkers are 2/2 zombies because of course they are, but when did we stop telling people that?

Also prescient flavor text go.

Yeah I think it's because they are from a very limited set so tokens don't need to be explained. This 'solution' only works if they never print any Walkers that aren't 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens with no other abilities.

Can you explain that comment on the flavor text in the end?

WoTC just opened up a can of worms with this one. I'm already not happy with the direction that the game has been taking in the last year or so, this is kind of a tipping point if it becomes the norm. There's a huge disconnect between the brainpower making these kinds of product decisions and the player base, not a good look at all.

Yeah I agree. I believe it is almost 95 % negative feedback.

However there is a risk that Wizards only care about Secret Lair revenue and these will, like all the others, most likely sell out.

I did very much enjoy Secret Lair skins even though I haven’t seen any for my cube yet but the potential is there.

It's not like this is a bad product- people are only upset because mechanically unique cards are being released through a limited release drop. If this were "Signature Spellbook: The Walking Dead," available online or at your local game store, I think there would be a lot fewer complaints about this.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's not like this is a bad product- people are only upset because mechanically unique cards are being released through a limited release drop. If this were "Signature Spellbook: The Walking Dead," available online or at your local game store, I think there would be a lot fewer complaints about this.

Oh yeah, for sure. That's exactly the problem. I'm never complaining about the new cards in e.g. Commander products. Those are very available.

I thought they wouldn’t print Rick.

At least he is the best of the cards. But again, like TekLazar said, that doesn’t help the overall product. I worry some people run a Human deck and want this card in.