Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Yeah, it's sweet as hell

Oh, so you tested it?
I think it could be a decent card for constellation decks, as well as prowess decks or decks based on some kind of graveyard recursion/advantage. And it's super wacky, which is a plus in my book. But I am a bit afraid that it would not excel at any of those things and would therefore be last pick material. What does this card do in your cube? Does it see play?

Oh, so you tested it?
I think it could be a decent card for constellation decks, as well as prowess decks or decks based on some kind of graveyard recursion/advantage. And it's super wacky, which is a plus in my book. But I am a bit afraid that it would not excel at any of those things and would therefore be last pick material. What does this card do in your cube? Does it see play?
It's not in my cube but I fucked around with it in casual Tiny Leaders (Shu Yun flashback control). You really want redundant effects since you will bin the card you want at some point, but for something that's closer to card filtering than any real kind of CA it's a versatile tutor. I'd rarely activate it without 3+ cards in hand and I'd often be digging for answers, whether it be bounce, a counterspell or an o-ring.

The ability to maybe turn dead cards into live ones over and over again is sweet. Random discard is hella painful but people overestimate the WCS. I'd want a gold cube to reasonably expect to use both abilities.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Considering adding Rev again to beef up my control decks, but memories of trampling over cute midrange strategies with it in Standard have me worried. I guess it's only one card?

It's really Rev into Rev that is the problem. I think it's a great cube card, really the right amount of power, and sequences interestingly.

I feel like most of the time, this is basically no different than a bear. Too much removal that can bounce/exile unless you focus your cube's removal away from those effects, needs a sac outlet already out AND topdeck manipulation (e.g. Scroll Rack) to be consistent. Doing it blind I can't imagine the odds of hitting something 5+ mana good are more than 10% unless your deck is too topheavy to function and without a way to sac it, it can just sit there being a bear for a few turns. Even in a super low power environment, a 2/2 for 5 would have to be fine on its own for this to really be worth. Maybe in a super jank-heavy environment this has a place. It just requires enormous setup and building around to get there.

Howltooth is narrow, too hard to trigger / too easy for your opponent to keep you off; ALL players need to be hellbent?? Spinerock is both super narrow and kind of a win-more, since chunking someone for 7 is typically a death flag. Mossworst CAN fit in more decks than the other two but looks best in board stalls, which I don't think anyone aims for.

P.S. I always thought it was funny that the hideaways are all fantastical geographical structures, then green is just THERE'S A TROLL UNDER THAT BRIDGE. I mean there's a tree there but it's still a tiny bridge compared to the others.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Well, the people who don't like board stalls object to the game being dragged out with nothing happening. Playing a good spell for almost free at instant speed is a good way to break that in your favour.

IMO, no. It always generates value regardless of the deck you put it in or the deck you play against, and there's no catch really. And what exactly is it encouraging other than just playing dudes and overextending into wraths because why not?

Cards like this are kind of stupid. Oh, and the art sucks too. Lot's of reasons to not run this and be happy about that decision.

I think the art is kinda neat but I agree with pretty much everything else ahadabans said. I like wrath insurance cards, but this is pretty much throws decision-making out the window; vigilance AND it shits fliers? Nah brah. Nah.

I'm being overly harsh on the card honestly. I've played it and thought it was cool, but I'm really on an anti-power card kick because there are so many interesting cards I can't play right now because there's no point when cards like Hallowed Spiritkeeper are in the card pool. And that makes me sad.

edit: there are restrictions you fools the more critters in your deck the merrier in a very real way that changes the outcome of the game a lot

But where is the strategic depth in that? We need additional incentive to play more dudes in our decks (in an environment that is already creature dominated)?

This card strikes me as one that looks all synergistic but in reality it's just a power card that is good all the time.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its not that we need incentives to play more creatures, its that we might want incentives NOT to just jam in all the best non-creature cards and the best creatures you. I mean, ok, Hallowed Spiritkeeper is kind of a lame design that doesn't require much thought to play correctly, but it gives you some reward for something that we usually don't encourage. No one is going to cut Swords to Plowshares from their deck because it has this dude, but maybe they'll cut their third removal spell to jam in another dude and make him better. I like it when the card pool has lots of conflicting incentives, because lots of weird decks can pop out of the cross-sections between them.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Its not that we need incentives to play more creatures, its that we might want incentives NOT to just jam in all the best non-creature cards and the best creatures you. I mean, ok, Hallowed Spiritkeeper is kind of a lame design that doesn't require much thought to play correctly, but it gives you some reward for something that we usually don't encourage. I mean, no one is going to cut Swords to Plowshares from their deck because it has this dude, but maybe they'll cut their third removal spell to jam in another dude and make him better. I like it when the card pool has lots of conflicting incentives, because lots of weird decks can pop out of the cross-sections between them.

Cool cool. People, go over to the other thread and tell me what to cut for this.