Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Are there any madness cards worth running? Really on a brainstorming spree recently around incremental advantage environments, inspired by Jund decks, flashback, rotting rats, and pulse of murasa, among other things. The ones I can see that I'd seriously think running. Any thoughts?:

I'd have really liked if grave scrabbler didn't have that seemingly random adder of "if you madnessed it", but I guess that'd be too strong in that environment? Or was done to give incentive to use madness. In any case, yeah a little bit of a bummer. I've looked at tortured existence time and time again. I'm not convinced it's that bad even in higher powered formats. Discard that bloodghast later on in the game, get a beater back, landfall, profit. Guess it's too corner case?

And am I just crazy or is blast from the past actually really really strong? Against little doods it's a pretty easy 3-for-1 at {4}{R}{R}{R}, and it's even available in an easy two payment plan! And it's only one more mana over firebolt for the total package (7 instead of 6), and an instant! Actually heavily leaning putting it in.

What do we think about the poster-child of madness, so to speak. Can actually just fit in a green aggro 1-drop spot?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'd have really liked if grave scrabbler didn't have that seemingly random adder of "if you madnessed it", but I guess that'd be too strong in that environment? Or was done to give incentive to use madness. In any case, yeah a little bit of a bummer. I've looked at tortured existence time and time again. I'm not convinced it's that bad even in higher powered formats. Discard that bloodghast later on in the game, get a beater back, landfall, profit. Guess it's too corner case?

And am I just crazy or is blast from the past actually really really strong? Against little doods it's a pretty easy 3-for-1 at {4}{R}{R}{R}, and it's even available in an easy two payment plan! And it's only one more mana over firebolt for the total package (7 instead of 6), and an instant! Actually heavily leaning putting it in.

What do we think about the poster-child of madness, so to speak. Can actually just fit in a green aggro 1-drop spot?

Ah yes, my favorite creature: Wild Nacatl + Champion 2 lands -_-

Chris Taylor

Contributor
no to Rootwalla, but how about these old-timers:

is Werebear worth a punt if you can turn it on consistently?

I think he'd be fine. I don't think with just fetchlands + creatures trading + spells being cast you're going to end up with 7+ cards in your yard on turn like, 7 (so you will need to do some work) but being a vulnerable signet isn't a terrible fail case anyways.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Honestly, its arguable whether Arrogant wurm is even playable in low power formats at this point.

I've looked at tortured existence time and time again. I'm not convinced it's that bad even in higher powered formats. Discard that bloodghast later on in the game, get a beater back, landfall, profit. Guess it's too corner case?

I wonder. I was originally going to respond that there was a loose power tier of these effects: tortured existence, phyrexian reclamation, and recurring nightmare. When I looked up phrexian reclamation, however, it was being played in some peasant combo deck, so I don't know: maybe tortured existence is good enough.

I drafted Werebear a couple times. Even in an Aristocrats-esque deck I never managed to make it big. Or if I did, it was so irrelevant that I can't even remember, lol. The WCS is definitely good enough to run it, but it's nothing stellar. Personally I just cut it in favour of Sylvan Caryatid. I hate the hexproof part, but my green section needs decent blockers to survive the early turns.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I drafted Werebear a couple times. Even in an Aristocrats-esque deck I never managed to make it big. Or if I did, it was so irrelevant that I can't even remember, lol. The WCS is definitely good enough to run it, but it's nothing stellar. Personally I just cut it in favour of Sylvan Caryatid. I hate the hexproof part, but my green section needs decent blockers to survive the early turns.

Vine Trellis
:p

Serious Suggustion:
Wall of Roots

Lol I really like this Clark Ashton Smith poem probably because how typical it is of me and him.

One cactus-column rears alone
Before the forest
Where the trees are stone.

Have I mentioned I go to pulp book fairs? Can we go back to talking about cards like wheel of fortune now or am I gonna keep feeling regretful and embarrassed whenever I check this thread for a little while longer?

CML

Contributor
I've always thought memorizing at least one poem and a song was just good habit for entertaining friends. My faves are Coleridge's Kubla Khan, a Li Po poem and this CVO Bartlett piece my grandfather loved reciting. I have all three memorized, and a couple others too, and tbh knowing a poem is a very very cool thing.

Li Po
All the birds have flown up and gone
A lonely cloud floats leisurely by
We sit together, the mountain and I
until only the mountain remains.

Bartlett
Once, in a moment of great generosity
God has shown to me a leopard running free.
How then, could he expect of me—born without his tolerance—
calmly to see those women, those bloody awful women,
dressed up in leopard skins and sitting down to tea?

I think there's something really special about poetry, and I think it's kind of a shame people tend not to look for it much outside of academics.

(CML - you reminded my of Eliot's Naming of Cats, another fave)
Ugh fuck it one more:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178296

Some months ago I was dating an incredibly smart and anxious redhead who quoted via text-message a strand from Prufrock I had to look up. What more could i want? When we broke up, I was so hurt I brought up the topic of her Etsy shop, which peddled cat-themed frivolities, in this way:

"'I could have shown you something different from either / Your shadow at morning striding behind you / Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
"That's so good! What's it from?"
(Though she'd been a model for a Magic card, the promo Wasteland was outside her purview.)
"Wasteland. The foil version."
"T.S. Eliot! I knew I'd seen it somewhere after college. Wasn't it on a Magic card?"
(Maybe it wasn't; she was really smart.)
"It sure was. You know what T.S. Eliot did when he wasn't making great art?"
"Drawing pictures of cats," she answered instantly.

Some months ago I was dating an incredibly smart and anxious redhead who quoted via text-message a strand from Prufrock I had to look up. What more could i want? When we broke up, I was so hurt I brought up the topic of her Etsy shop, which peddled cat-themed frivolities, in this way:

"'I could have shown you something different from either / Your shadow at morning striding behind you / Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
"That's so good! What's it from?"
(Though she'd been a model for a Magic card, the promo Wasteland was outside her purview.)
"Wasteland. The foil version."
"T.S. Eliot! I knew I'd seen it somewhere after college. Wasn't it on a Magic card?"
(Maybe it wasn't; she was really smart.)
"It sure was. You know what T.S. Eliot did when he wasn't making great art?"
"Drawing pictures of cats," she answered instantly.

Good lord we are a weird forum.

?

More specifically: I love the art and I've been slowly realizing that hatebears are super awesome, but at what density of artifacts/enchantments does this kitty become playable? {W}{W} is a tall order, the body is average... I can't imagine feeling super great running it out early and getting no loot, but I guess you learn to hold it back if Villain has anything to snag? Eh? I'm really not sure.

?

More specifically: I love the art and I've been slowly realizing that hatebears are super awesome, but at what density of artifacts/enchantments does this kitty become playable? {W}{W} is a tall order, the body is average... I can't imagine feeling super great running it out early and getting no loot, but I guess you learn to hold it back if Villain has anything to snag? Eh? I'm really not sure.

I personally love it. We freely run reclamation sage, and this has different pluses and minuses. I've gotten several complaints about enchantments specifically being hard to deal with, so this fit the bill perfectly for me.

CML

Contributor
?

i love this card

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think there is probably too much conditionality total for him to be suitable for most formats, but its a judgment call. In formats where he isn't too slow, thats a powerful, but beatable effect, and a potentially inciting build around.