Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I guess that makes the transition from tokens to tokens/aristocrats quite easy.

I feel like white could support aristo even without sac outlets then? And if that is the case then I feel like Athreos will be the best payoff in white besides the fodder? Because it actually supports the direct damage route that is already in aristocrats.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am running two nonfoil Modern Masters 2015 copies. I dislike foils, and will always run the nonfoil option if it's available (and affordable). I also like the newest border best, so I will likewise always try to run the newest border version of its available (and, more relevant this time, affordable).

There is not enough talk about aestetics on this page so thank you guys :)

Does anyone like the new Ultimate Masters Masterpieces and the Guilds of Ravnica Masterpieces?

What's a guilds of ravnica masterpiece? The mythic edition planeswalkers?

I like the UMA box toppers better than any previous masterpiece. I like that they are immediately recognizable as magic cards. The extended artwork looks a bit awkward on a few of them, but overall they look very good (especially compared to amonkhet invocations)

I'll probably never own any of them, though, so it doesn't matter much.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There is not enough talk about aestetics on this page so thank you guys :)

Does anyone like the new Ultimate Masters Masterpieces and the Guilds of Ravnica Masterpieces?

Well, now that you know my stance on foils, you can probably guess :') As for the aesthetics of the design (ignoring the foil aspect for a moment), I think it's a real shame that they didn't remove the whole "inner" border, I find that pretty ugly. Wait, let me show you. Just a quick mockup in Paint to show what I mean. On the left the Temporal Manipulation box topper that you will be able to find in boosters boxes in a month, on the right the version that I would vastly prefer. Like, the more I look at it, the uglier I find the blue border they left on top of the name box.

TM_og.png TM_new.png

What's a guilds of ravnica masterpiece? The mythic edition planeswalkers?

I like the UMA box toppers better than any previous masterpiece. I like that they are immediately recognizable as magic cards. The extended artwork looks a bit awkward on a few of them, but overall they look very good (especially compared to amonkhet invocations)

I'll probably never own any of them, though, so it doesn't matter much.

Yeah the Ravnica Mythic Edition (or commonly known as Masterpieces since Masterpieces is not a name for any of the sets but the broard term Wizards’ introduced when Kaladesh Inventions came around in order to give all the specific sets a name. Zendikar Expeditions are Masterpieces, Kaladesh Inventions are Masterpieces, Amonkhet Invocations are Masterpieces and Ravnica Mythic Edition are Masterpieces)

You can see them here under Guilds of Ravnica:

https://mythicspoiler.com/grn/index.html

ooof didn't notice how they left that random chunk of the border on those Ultimate Masterpeice thingys. That's not a great look....

Besides the fact that some of them are just... the same art as normal but zoomed in a little right? Seems inconsistent when other ones have really neat new art.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like the idea, but man are there some duds artwork wise. The new tasigur, goyf and dark depths all look abysmal.

Also the professor was complaining about stirring wildwood being in the series (not exactly a million dollar card). Sure, I get that wildwood is like a 2$ foil, but this is clearly there as the price we have to pay for celestial collenade, creeping tar pit, and Raging ravine.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also the professor was complaining about stirring wildwood being in the series (not exactly a million dollar card). Sure, I get that wildwood is like a 2$ foil, but this is clearly there as the price we have to pay for celestial collenade, creeping tar pit, and Raging ravine.

That would be a fine line of reasoning if they didn't charge us nearly $60 to get the box topper and if a person could reasonably acquire multiple of these boxes (both financially and logistically), so the Stirring Wildwood box topper is made up for by the Liliana box topper you also opened. Instead, you just know one guy or gal is going to open that Stirring Wildwood, and their pal is going to open the Liliana box topper instead, and it's be a *massive* letdown for the first player. They just shouldn't have put any of the manlands in as boxtoppers.

I like the idea, but man are there some duds artwork wise. The new tasigur, goyf and dark depths all look abysmal.

Also, disagree (to a degree) on all of these! :) New Tasigur and Tarmogoyf feature good art. It's just that the existing card was already good, perhaps even better than the new art, and didn't really need replacing. The Dark Depths art, though, is really gorgeous. I love how it's essentially the same art, but from a completely different perspective. Instead of seeing this massive form sprawl under the ice from above, we're looking up from just under Marit Lage, all the way up through the layer of ice that (still) has someone standing on it. While it doesn't convey the size of Marit Lage as well as the old art, it does much better in getting across a feeling of dread.