Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Anyone tried

How much of an artifact density do you need before he's good. Is getting an average of 2 triggers enough?

Edit: Similar question for

I just found out this card exists. I love Balance, but it's a little too busted for my format. The Magus is quite a bit more fair, and requires a little more working around to take advantage of due to it's summoning sickness and 5 mana activation cost. However, it's easy to recur/tutor for and can be activated at instant speed.

Has anyone tested it?

EDIT:
Aston: Scrap Trawler is a baller. Run it with haste. It's been discussed in a few other places. I can't say what is an acceptable amount of triggers as that kinda pertains to the power level of your cube. I'm content with a couple triggers out of it. It usually gets removed fairly quickly.

Also fine to me with stronghold as the recursion is slow, vulnerable and you can see it coming from a mile away. I think cemetery is probably much stronger tool for recursion than the land in this case. With cemetery, you should presumably have magus back on the table the next turn. Stronghold is likely at least two turns slower, you sacrifice a draw step and must keep a colorless producing land as your only land. Cemetery is generally more efficient in rebuilding post balance.

You’re also asking the guy that supports Mindslaver locks :D

In order to minimize the amount of 'non-games'

Give this to each player before the draft begins.

How does Riptidelab experts feel about that?

The immediate downsides I can see to this idea is the time-consuming factor. However is there a big difference between 8 players simultaneously shuffling their library from 1 player shuffling their library when each round begin simultaneously?

Second downside I can see is the decks can be a little more risky when it comes to mana base or single card archetypes (yep, I used that sentence Rowan_CB).

What else?

Upsides are obviously fewer players will get that annoying feeling of mana flooding, mana screwing or color screwing.

I've heard these are strong cards and I like the lich a lot. But I'm not sure I like the Monarch mini-game in a 1v1 environment (and on so few cards).

Does anybody play with these? How do you feel about the monarch mechanic?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
When I discussed putting in monarch cards all my players who had experience them were like: "God! No! Why would you do that?! These are so frustrating to play against!"

So... I don't have any experience with these. I did put them into one of my commander decks, since I already bought them anyway, and they're... less overwhelming in multiplayer.

Has anyone tried this? I'm legitimately not sure how good this is. Being able to grab any PW in your deck and put it into play is pretty insane, but it also requires your cube to have a high enough as-fan of walkers so you can always have a target, lest this becomes a 4-mana 1/2. Is this too good outside Powered and High-Power cubes?

I think it's actually worse outside of powered cubes, both for the reason that lower power cubes often have fewer/zero walkers, and because they often are more combat based and therefor better suited to answer PWs.

As long as you aren't running, like, Ugin etc.

Seems kind of like it would thin your cube in the same way that cantrips and tutors thin your deck .. but is that desirable? I think I'd rather just have another planeswalker for the variety.

Edit: Maybe if they make more walkers like Daretti, but that seems a little narrow

Another issue in lower powered cubes is that finding a PW doesn't usually advance a plan, it just gets you a PW. Most lower powered cubes are archetype driven aan this doesn't really do much for that (outide Daretti and a couple others).

Compare to

Which can grab a variety of unique and powerful enchantments that really tie archetypes together

Have an open spot in my colorless section and one of these lying around:

Can people who have run this report on how it plays out in cube? I'm thinking of it as just sort of a flexible deck smoother that has a few other niche upsides that might be fun when/if they come up. Is that about right? And if so, does that make it worth a slot? Curious to hear how it performs for people who run it.