Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

How powerful or snowbally is this guy? I've never seen him in action because I've killed him on the spot every single time in Standard but it seems extremely strong with the proper support. Thoughts?

It's strong but far from too good in an environment with a reasonable power level. As long as your drafters can kill it, it's not an issue. Nightmare Shepherd is only an issue in retail limited because the removal is so bad.

You probably wouldn't even want to use it's ability quite often if it was in my cube, as the exile makes recursion impossible. As long as you have no problem Problem with giving black a 4 mana air elemental with upside (I'm not, but that's my design philosophy), I don't see him being too strong.

This card seems like it could be good at slowing down aggro decks without completely shutting them down. I'm just not sure if it lets too much get through the cracks or not. Is this playable?

Crawlspace is a nice design, but two creatures is too much, as is three mana.

I tried Silent Arbiter and it never worked. It's expensive and if they can remove it you get punished hard. I never found many decks that actually wanted the card.

I've been thinking about weird cards. I wonder if someone has found a place for this in cube:

My gut tells me it's less useful than Phyrexian Altar but the design is very cool.

I've been thinking about weird cards. I wonder if someone has found a place for this in cube:

My gut tells me it's less useful than Phyrexian Altar but the design is very cool.

Well that sucks. It looked like it could have added a bit of a fun dynamic to the game.

What do you guys think of this:

This looks like a fine midrange/control finisher.

Power level dependent. Too slow for higher powered cubes that want efficiency and a lower curve, but if grindy 6+ mana cards can be deployed on the regular in your environment then it should be fine. Orzhov usually isn't doing anything all that interesting with gold slots so have at it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Even with Rebound upgrade? :p

No, I meant my regular cube :D Rise from the Tides is still in the Heritage Cube, though it has detain, not rebound ;) Detain is actually a pretty sweet ability on Rise, since all your zombies etb tapped, and detains helps getting to your untap step a lot!

Do you people like Asylum Visitor? Didn't play with it yet, but it doesn't read like it's something I want to have. I do have some discard in B(w/r) going on, but I think it's not really a payoff for that kind of deck. In fact, it looks like it's only good in that kind of aggro deck that wants to go hellbent as fast as possible, and I'm not sure if I really support that kind of play, even if BR in my cube is heavily madness-related.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The anti flavor :p

Innistrad zombies are slow and Wizards gave them ETB tapped to materialize that into the game.

You're frozen with fear, as you see the zombies rising slowly from the brine. You know you still have time to run away, but your legs refuse to move! THE HORROR!

See, not anti flavor at all, it's just a matter of perspective ;)

Ah yes the infamous zombie police detain you in their notorious zombie prison. Oldest zombie cliché in the world.

Can’t find the old Wizards article that explains why they exactly don’t want that type of effect on their Innistrad zombies but I found this on the MTG Wiki: “ Innistrad is a plane partially infested with Zombies. ... but with some kind disadvantage (coming into play tapped, unable to block etc).”

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Zombie

Do you people like Asylum Visitor? Didn't play with it yet, but it doesn't read like it's something I want to have. I do have some discard in B(w/r) going on, but I think it's not really a payoff for that kind of deck. In fact, it looks like it's only good in that kind of aggro deck that wants to go hellbent as fast as possible, and I'm not sure if I really support that kind of play, even if BR in my cube is heavily madness-related.

It's usually just going to be a vanilla 3/1 for 2. It's good on occasion in the later game when both players are topdecking, but in the average case scenario it's just an early beater. It's just fine as a card, not too impressive.