Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
See this is the hilarious thing, I feel capsize is either absolutly horrible or stupidly overpowered, and I've seen both sides.

I think either way it's not particularly interesting, so I'm not at much of a loss over not running it, but I think it's kinda hilarious :p

Reactions: CML
What do you guys think of and ?

Very strange little choice-making cards... I normally don't like letting your opponent choose but both cards are very low cmc and have very powerful effects. I had breaking point at my cube's inception and it received mostly positive reviews and got played fairly often. I can't attest to effectiveness but it sure got into lists somehow.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I like the looks of Do or Die. 2 is a good cost. You should be able to get good value out of it. It's kind of a mind game because each of you won't know the others hand, and it feels like Fact or Fiction.
I do not see any positive things about Breaking Point. I guess it's a wrath for aggro decks? It just seems like when you want one mode you don't want the other, and it's not often your opponent won't able to make the right choice.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Breaking Point seems really bad. Do or Die is a cool card though. It's like, an edict at worst if they have at least two creatures? But does nothing if they have only one? Interesting design.

The best I've seen breaking point do is follow up a control player's wrath-big girl line of play. Control tanked for a bit, staring at the fetters/venser combo in his hand, then took the 6 and died to mountain-bolt-fireblast for the exact 13 because sometimes they have it all.

CML

Contributor
a little better, a little tougher to cast

second dom's thoughts on overload, not that i think mechanics as such are important for creating a good draft set, but it's one of those few mechanics where they really get it right

Chris Taylor

Contributor
We all know how cube players love sweet options :p

Maybe it's the style of my drafters, but I find Spectre harder to cast.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Specter is basically a gold card afaict, unless you have enough support for mono-colour strategies that you're not stretching for playables.

CML

Contributor
CT is right, I think they designed Mutavault to be at odds with those cards so Devotion wouldn't be too overpowered ... it's yet another example of how Cube mana-bases have trouble accommodating restrictive costs, so I go light on colorless lands and make the utility draft ~1/3 fixing.

In other words, Reckoner vs. Mutavault is an interesting choice, Reckoner vs. Hellion Crucible isn't

One thing to remember about gifts is that you can search your library to up to four cards, so there is no need to be sitting with your fatties in hand if you have a reanimator spell already, or you can just search for your target and unburial rites and nothing more.

CML

Contributor
wtf!? next you're gonna tell me you can intuition for 3 copies of the same card

dom, in one of my abortive entries to the contest i drew up a brief 'astral slide' list, there's no way it's worth supporting (1 copy of lightning rift too?!) but it is funny

akroma’s vengeance
cycle lands
cloud of faeries
complicate
decree of justice
eternal dragon
expunge
blast from the past
cycle lands (5x OLS)
krosan tusker
miscalculation
living death
radiant’s judgment
twisted abomination
slice and dice

unearth
a few extra ETB effects

CML

Contributor
i have thought about stick. it's a really strong card and i have nightmares about someone imprinting counterspell, if someone could convince me it's worth it i'd try it but otherwise ...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I ran it for a while. It's a high variance card that often is either useless or leads to stupid stupid games. Can support the "spells matter" theme if you're interested. Ultimately I cut it though.

So i was playing PEZ cube the other day and found myself in 3 colour tempo/value deck (RGu variety) with a lot of land destruction dorks. God did AEther Mutation Ever put games away. I was playing a lot of guys that used to make it into cubes or still did (Acidic Slime, Echo dorks, Eternal Witness) and the card just felt made for me. I could see how exciting it would be in my opponent's decks too. What do you all think? It's kinda a hard card to wrap your head around but man does it ever make a splash. Look at that zany art too. What a hoot!

28669.jpg