Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Wait, I didn't notice that! I don't think I have any stuff like that in my cube but it IS interesting.

I think it was a joke.
The reason it is worded like this is because Wizards now let all cards be multiplayer (Commander) playable or at least have the correct wording for multiplayer games. The new template allows your creatures to draw cards by attacking and dealing damage an ally with a 1/1 for instance. This can be beneficial to the team overall.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sarkhan Vol was in my cube for a long long time, even if only in a partial slot. It's obviously not overwhelmingly powerful, but it's a solid role player, which is maybe where some people want their planeswalkers anyways. I would test it and see if it can make the 40-card cut in your environment.

is the best "put a basic land onto the battlefield untapped" for 3 mana, because look at that absolute unit.

The competition:

(EDIT: In all seriousness, it depends on your environment. I'd probably run Search for Tomorrow as a one-drop and Primal Growth is pretty good if Green is a sac color in your cube.)

Additional competition that benefits from instant speed.

Though this and the giant dont necessarily compete in actual practice, and actually work well in the same deck together.

Curse you, Harrow, for hiding from my search!

In all seriousness, if I wanted to support a land-based ramp deck, I'd probably run Harrow, Search, and the Giant. Maybe a Loam package as well? Slip a recursion/copying package into Red, and it's a party.

Hmm...

Roiling Regrowth has the advantage that you don't need to sacrifice the land if it gets countered, and the disadvantage that it isn't a good spell to copy (copying Harrow puts you up three lands — Roiling Regrowth only gets you two).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the lands enter tapped. My brain skipped that word because ew.

Foulmire Knight is kind of crappy, yeah, but its crappy in a way that a lot of decks are happy with it (lower-level depending, of course). It's a one-drop for aggro, if you like that sort of thing, and the deathtouch makes it an effective roadblock in slower decks. You can run it out on turns one, three, and four, so there's some great mana value flexibility as well. You're absolutely right in that it's almost never going to be something you're going to be pshched about running, but it has a lot of potential uses (holds equipment well, it's sac fodder that replaces itself if necessary, it plays really well with any Regrowth-type effects, etc.), which makes it a great little glue card. You'll almost always be happy seeing this come around 12th pick if you're in Black and it stands a lot better of a chance of winding up in a main deck than other "include it to hit your one-stop count" critters.

Zombies are also a lot more likely than most tribes to get incidental synergy with lords that are fine on their own, so that can be a very minor plus if you're into that sort of thing.

No love for Order of Midnight, Embereth Shieldbreaker, Beanstalk Giant, Giant Killer, Shepherd of the Flock, Foulmire Knight, Lovestruck Beast or Faerie Guidemother? I think all of these are very interesting for lower powered cubes around here.

Forgot to mention Order of Midnight, definitely the coolest Gravedigger variant out there, and Shepherd.
Shieldbreaker doesn't make sense in my environment, Beanstalk Giant is cool but I don't play any permanent ramp and no fixing exclusive to one colour (rather colourless so everyone gets access to it), and while I like Giant Killer, I fear it might be too strong. Maybe I'll test it someday.
I really dislike the beast and don't see why the Knight should be all that interesting, but if I'm in need for something else in black, I could see me give it a try - just not yet. The guidemother looks interesting, but also weak, even for a lower powered environment.

I wish Silverflame Squire and Tuinvale Treefolk would be a bit better/cost less on their adventure sides.

I have never seen the light in Foulmire Knight. Someone sell me on it.
I don't recommend it. I have disliked the card both in draft and the ocassional constructed deck it made it in.

A 1/1 deathtouch is less useful than it appears. You have this dream of the opponent attacking and you killing a creature but that's rare. More likely is a stall or a small mana advantage. You won't win a game by attacking with it.

The draw is the appeal of the card but 3 mana is a lot. It's also at odds with the 1/1, you want to slap that down as soon as you can but then you don't get the card. So you wait, but then you have other cards to play. It always felt you would rather play something else.

Ardenvale Tactician, Order of Midnight and Hypnotic Sprite are sweet with ninjas.
If there are plenty of token producers in your environment, a 1/1 deathtouch really is lackluster.

Zuran Orb was busted in the first revisions of my cube. I'm afraid it's still megabusted now but it might enable more Land Tax-based decks and other funky synergies. What do you think?

I've been meaning to make a post about this card, which is objectively probably the worst card in my cube, but also one of my favorites. May I present:

It's your definitely not-busted Zuran Orb replacement. I like centering the land-sacrificing stuff in white anyways, and this does have some incidental synergy with other cards (e.g., hope you blocked that Kiln Fiend).

Don't get me wrong, this is a bad and narrow card. But I think there's some room for bad and narrow cards that can unlock a fun deck that wouldn't otherwise exist.

I don't think it's unplayable. It's a fair Zuran Orb. However, limiting it just to white majes it pretty parastitic compared to the Orb.