Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This Omnath is very powerful when the manabase of your cube can support it! Right of the bath, the p/t to cmc (sorry) mv ratio is reasonable. For the number of colors required, it better have a good upside though. Well, imagine casting this t4 off of a mana dork or some ramp spell and following it up with a fetch. That's 4 life and your mana back immediately! Really, really solid.

By why would you want to run Omnath? I mean, it's a four colour card that gets back its cost in mana, tempo and cards. There's nothing else to it.

Omnath is definitely powerful, but it doesn't really point anyone to a given deck. Sure, it's got the Landfall text but it isn't really a Landfall card as much as it is a Goodstuff card. Like even if I can't maximize Landfall triggers in my 4-5c Goodstuff pile, I'm rewarded for casting it (drawing a card) and then next turn I just get a free 4 life off my normal land drop. If someone's playing aggro against this 4C Goodstuff deck, they're just fucked by this roadblock + lifegain doing a super Courser of Kruphix impression. I don't even have to build around it; it's just fucking good and rewards me for doing the bare minimum to develop my board.

With Lotus Cobra at least it opens up the possible line of maximizing a fetch if I sequence spells right for a Black Lotus turn to power out something ahead of curve, but Omnath just does too much for too little.

I'm playing it all day in EDH decks that can cast it, but that free generic value is way less interesting in Cube for me.

yeah but what if you have an irrational love of the keyword Landfall
Then yes, it's a good fun card to play. Just notice that it's more of an "I'm good in a deck that can cast me" kind of card rather than a "I'm good if you have a bunch of ways to trigger landfall" sort of card. I've considered cubing with it and I still may in the future.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Then yes, it's a good fun card to play. Just notice that it's more of an "I'm good in a deck that can cast me" kind of card rather than a "I'm good if you have a bunch of ways to trigger landfall" sort of card. I've considered cubing with it and I still may in the future.
Yeah, it does interest me. My main hold up right now is that it costs like 20 tix. Anyone have one available to borrow? :)

I'd love to see an example deck that Altar goes in. How often is it a wincon, or is it mostly for fueling the deck itself?

I'd love to see an example deck that Altar goes in. How often is it a wincon, or is it mostly for fueling the deck itself?
I'm thinking it goes into something like this:

Lots of things that etb or die and make tokens, things that ping the opponent on etb/death, self-reanimating creatures, and mass reanimation. The mill from the Altar is a combo-win condition.

Reactions: dbs

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Way overcosted
It digs four cards and there is a risk of not finding a creature among those. When it finds a creature, it doesn't really put it onto the battlefield like Summoning Trap but puts it into the hand while giving you 1 etb trigger.

It is an instant though which helps extremely much when it comes to these kinds of cards because you can cast this eot, untap, draw and recast the creature.

I could see it be really 'fun' in a casual Vintage deck around the kitchen table if you only run super expensive creatures with massive etb triggers like Terastodon.

I have some cards in my cube that has a sticker on them with the wording "New cost" and then the mana symbols for the new cost. The stickers are super thin and professionally made. I have two cards in each mono color who has those altered mana cost. I use them when I really, really like an effect a card can have on the cube but the cost is too high. I think the sticker solution is much more elegant than a custom card although it is exactly the same effect. The sticker is attached to the inner sleeve which means taking pictures of the card gets a little blurry. Here is an example:

Mastermind's Acquisition.jpg

Maybe you could run Aethermage's Torch with an altered casting cost like 2 or 3 mana?