Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Trying to make white more interesting and considering a token/swarm/anthem type approach which intersects with sacrifice and potentially spells matters themes. Is this terrible or might it be okay?

Trying to make white more interesting and considering a token/swarm/anthem type approach which intersects with sacrifice and potentially spells matters themes. Is this terrible or might it be okay?

Every time I see this I think of what an abomination this was in Standard:

A 2 drop that makes 3 drops. For free. So dumb.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Is this playable in a tri-color cube or should I just go ahead and design my own?

rbihk5.jpg

(I know this is overpowered and needs to be tweaked. Probably by lowering the loyalty cost. It also contains a typo, it should be "the number of permanent cards")

It also contains a typo, it should be "the number of permanent cards")

Is that even right? I think "permanent" can only refer to actual permanents. You'd have to specify "creature, enchantment, land, artifact and planeswalker cards" since "cards that aren't instants or sorceries" isn't a thing. This has slightly bothered me for a long time, because I teach a lot of people magic and one of the first things I do is explain the different kinds of cards, and showing them this vs. that is easiest for a lot of people.

Land vs. Spell (to show everything that isn't a land is technically a spell)
Permanent spell vs. Non-permanent spell (to show instants and sorceries being "one-shots," people who aren't familiar with the concept of magic / fantasy need this badly)
Creature vs. non-creature, then break it down to the more specialized types.

So while it's a pretty important part of the game, and most people who have played other card games or are familiar with fantasy stuff in general can grasp the difference between summoning an artifact to wield and shooting a fireball at your opponent, someone who has managed avoid the phrase "dungeons and dragons" their entire life gets real confused real easily.

Is this playable in a tri-color cube or should I just go ahead and design my own?

rbihk5.jpg

(I know this is overpowered and needs to be tweaked. Probably by lowering the loyalty cost. It also contains a typo, it should be "the number of permanent cards")
I don't like it because it sorta diminishes your ability to play around or against it and it really only has one prevailing mode. That might be fine, but it makes it seem like it's to the board what playing liliana + inquisition decks are to the hand and it'll be really good at doing it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is that even right? I think "permanent" can only refer to actual permanents. You'd have to specify "creature, enchantment, land, artifact and planeswalker cards" since "cards that aren't instants or sorceries" isn't a thing. This has slightly bothered me for a long time, because I teach a lot of people magic and one of the first things I do is explain the different kinds of cards, and showing them this vs. that is easiest for a lot of people.

Well, I can quell your thirst for simplification with a simple example :)

"permanent cards" is a thing nowadays :D

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I agree with Jeff, Sarkhan the Mad is at a fine power level for cube, as-is. He isn't the kind of planeswalker to come down and run away with the game, like some of the more oppressive ones, but he's fun and rewarding to build around.