Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Yeah, I'd save that slot for other cool cards. :p

Too bad you aren't looking for a five drop, otherwise I'd suggest...

I know it's not super powerful, but who doesn't love an Elephant Wizard?

I've really like Escape to the Wilds as a big card draw spell for non-Blue decks and am looking for more. Does anyone have experience with it?
Immediately refunding 3 mana and having access to the cards for another turn seems really solid to me. Or are there other alternatives that play better?

I got very briefly excited about this one, though it got cut pretty quickly. It's sweet if you have Electromancer effects so it can do a Frantic Search impression with some additional upsides, but those are often in U so I don't think it goes where you want it - that is where I wanted it, and it still didn't quite get there.

Maybe in big red where you can play it on 3, then drop a titan+something else the following turn? Wildfire maaaaaybe? Never ended up making it in those for my list but my red section is weird at the 6+ mana slots.

I think I’d rather reach for

39d1578f-e2cf-4b93-8204-ed5434feb183.jpg

I don't think Big Score does quite what I am looking for as it's more card filtering than actual card advantage. I see it as a kind of Frantic Search where you get mana back instantly and try to chain some spells.

With Tinkering I just want more cards and was thinking that the 3 treasures would recoup some of the tempo lost by playing a 5 mana spell. I wasn't actually considering the treasures as ramp for the next turn.

So other question then. If not Tinkering, are there other big non-Blue card draw effects you like (in the vein of Escape to the Wilds and Showdown of the Skalds)?

I haven't had the opportunity to see tinkering in action yet, but I think it is awesome. Play it in the mid game to draw three, than immediately play a thing or two, then follow up in the next turn with the rest of the exiled cards. If this works out, it's like a two mana draw three. And later in the game, it only gets easier to pull it off.

Tinkering is a fun card if you have some cheap way to copy it — I run it in my Wort EDH and it feels pretty nice there.

In a normal context? Eh. I agree that the cheaper "Thrill of Possibility + Treasures" cards are probably better use of that slot.

---

Speaking of combos with Echo of Eons:

is some sweet Legacy Storm tech.

Just a follow up on the big non-Blue draw spell I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I found it:

I didn't pay much attention at all to Unfinity, but turns out I should have. The sorcery has the same quality that I liked about Inspired Tinkering, it refunds mana (all the mana in this case even!). You get a huge selection of cards and can cast lands from the pack you open.

I'll likely be using a cube pack from the unused pool of cards to increase the likelihood of having useful cards to cast.

Just a follow up on the big non-Blue draw spell I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I found it:

I didn't pay much attention at all to Unfinity, but turns out I should have. The sorcery has the same quality that I liked about Inspired Tinkering, it refunds mana (all the mana in this case even!). You get a huge selection of cards and can cast lands from the pack you open.

I'll likely be using a cube pack from the unused pool of cards to increase the likelihood of having useful cards to cast.
this is my second favorite red 6 after Big Chandra

Would you play it if the ETB happened without delirium? I suspect you'd rather have a Thragtusk, Titania, Protector of Argoth, or Verdurous Gearhulk even in that situation. With the delirium condition, I think I'd rather Deranged Hermit.

That's just on a powerlevel basis though - Ishkanah is definitely a neat card that isn't too far from being good. Hell, run Arachnogenesis and maybe Arasta of the Endless Web or Silklash Spider, Arachnus Spinner and squadroned Arachnus Webs and now you have Control Spiders as an archetype and Ishkanah as your finisher. It could even overlap with enchantress at that rate. :p

vs

Not too similar cards. Which one do you prefer and why?
It depends. Is your cube slow or fast? How many targets does each one have? Recruitment is a very Durdly card advantage. It supports white aggro.
Killer is a defensive card (which can be used to push a bit of damage through).
Let’s put it this way: on turn one I rather have the recruitment. On a board stall probably the killer. After a wrath or something like that rather the recruitment.