General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

landofMordor

Administrator
obscuracharmp.jpg

Wow. They managed to make a charm that is both an efficient removal/interactive spell and an archetype enabler. I'm... at a loss for words.

I might be putting shard combo cards in my Cube after this set. I really want to use this to reanimate Grist, the Hunger Tide and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver in 4c 34 Rhino Bring to Light decks. The only real downside is that this specifies "multicolor permanent," which is a bit rough in a lot of Cubes but certainly not all of them.

@landofMordor are you interested in testing this? It seems like it might be good for your midrange unpowered Cube.
Well, I'm on Can't Stay Away, Unearth, and Eliminate, so I think the chances are good. I'm certainly closer to playing this than I am Maestros Charm or Cabaretti Charm. But it's certainly not sparking joy for me -- something about the highly "play-designed" nature of the restrictions reads inelegant and doesn't make me actually want to cast it.

I agree that it feels very play-designed, (good coinage!) but the fact that it's so symmetrical redeems it. The "multicolored" restriction I could do without, but I suppose that's to prevent people from ramping (horror of horrors!) in UWB.

i just wanna reanimate Oko and Kaito and Ferrous, the fact i can do that at instant speed while holding up countermagic on the same card blows my little mind

landofMordor

Administrator
I guess it's true that "conditional-but-possibly-premium threat // conditional kill spell for instant, sorc, creature" is a good split card. But ugh it is not fun to read. it feels like finding the difference between a W-9 and W-10 form for tax purposes or something

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it's true that "conditional-but-possibly-premium threat // conditional kill spell for instant, sorc, creature" is a good split card. But ugh it is not fun to read. it feels like finding the difference between a W-9 and W-10 form for tax purposes or something
hey parker

you are speaking my language big time right now

I am loving the aesthetics of this plane, but I suspect there's not going to be much for me here. I learned a long time ago that you need to warp your entire environment if you want to make 3 color cards work, and I'm not really willing to do that.

I am loving the aesthetics of this plane, but I suspect there's not going to be much for me here. I learned a long time ago that you need to warp your entire environment if you want to make 3 color cards work, and I'm not really willing to do that.

Yeah, I'm am where you're at. The plane looks cool and I'm looking forward to draft the set, but I have no expectations for my cube here.

One thing though, that I've always wanted them to do more of, is hybrid gold card. Stuff with "{U}{W/B}" or "{W/U}{U/B}" in it's cost, or e.g. a blue card with a {W/B} activation, that sort of thing. We have some but not enought to just find andpick 10 fitting a cube's themes.

i expect great things from this set. i want to be able to run at least 10 tricolor cards and maybe another 10 guild cards when it’s all said and done

Yeah, I'm am where you're at. The plane looks cool and I'm looking forward to draft the set, but I have no expectations for my cube here.

One thing though, that I've always wanted them to do more of, is hybrid gold card. Stuff with "{U}{W/B}" or "{W/U}{U/B}" in it's cost, or e.g. a blue card with a {W/B} activation, that sort of thing. We have some but not enought to just find andpick 10 fitting a cube's themes.
and yeah tribrids are awesome

Three of the Demon Bosses are up!!!

jetmirnexusofrevels.jpg

Jetmir: This guy looks uncubable to me. He requires you to be ahead on board before any of his static abilities kick in, and none of his abilities generate additional value. This card would be extremely swingy at any power level where its extreme lack of lone value is unimportant.

lordxanderthecollector.jpg

Xander: Unlike Jetmir, I think this card looks like a decent reanimation target. However, I can't see it being more fun or interesting than existing options. This card is fine but extremely uninspiring.

raffineschemingseer.jpg

Raffine: This sly Sphinx might actually be a good card, but I have a couple of reservations. First, the body is great for three mana! 4 toughness is great, since it dodges most burn. Likewise, the new Connive ability can make any one of your creatures really big really fast. The Ward ability can help stop the opponent from blowing this card up. You can even reanimate this with Obscura Charm! On paper, there's quite a bit to like.

The big problem, of course, is that this card is in the worst colors for its ability. Esper doesn't really like going wide with Creatures. In most Cubes, this means this card is going to be the only creature conniving in most games. Likewise, the ward cost helps to stop removal, but it doesn't fully protect this card from death. It could be ok as a reanimator enabler, but being 3 colors just makes this card way too hard to make work most of the time.

I think this card might have a home in Constructed, as the previously mentioned Obscura Charm interaction seems potentially powerful in the right shell. If that "right shell" ends up being compatible with Cube design, I could see it having a home, but I don't know what that deck would look like right now. But if the deck for this does exist, it's possible this could be an esper Siege Rhino.

I feel like Jetmir could be really sweet in something like the Eldrazi Domain cube... but yeah. Unless the Cabaretti get a bunch of super-efficient token producers, I kinda doubt anyone is going to get the full payoff (or even the medium payoff) outside of multiplayer.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed by all three designs? I know they're showing them off first because :edh:, but still.

I feel like Jetmir could be really sweet in something like the Eldrazi Domain cube... but yeah. Unless the Cabaretti get a bunch of super-efficient token producers, I kinda doubt anyone is going to get the full payoff (or even the medium payoff) outside of multiplayer.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed by all three designs? I know they're showing them off first because :edh:, but still.
I agree. I was hoping the Gang leaders would be good for some constructed decks, like the Clan leaders from Khans of Tarkir were supposed to be, but instead, they took the "Commander Precon Face Card" and made a bunch of cards that read better than they might actually play.

I'm hoping the Sidisi, Brood Tyrant of the bunch isn't Raffine. I think Sphinx Person could be good but I'm not convinced there's a Whip of Erebos to pair with it right now. I'd really prefer something stronger.

Luckily, Jund and Bant are likely getting fliers as well (because the leaders are a Dragon and a Bird), so there's a chance they're closer to Raffine and Sidisi than Jetmir and Xander. Only time will tell, but I like being optimistic when possible.