General Speculation-Thread

Let's try to get this thread ontopic again :D

What kind of keyword do you expect for the Rakdos? I liked the handsize matters thing with hellbent, but the mechanic wasn't popular. They brought "almost-hellbent" back for Shadows and Amonkhet, so maybe they would come up with something in this vein? Unleash produced good cards but was a super boring mechanic imo.

Let's take this off topic again:

One thing I like about Rakdos that I thought of doing in a more artifact-centric version of my cube is to place an emphasis on baubles.

Imagine a Combo-Control Rakdos deck with 8 Chromatic stars. The extra fixing/cantriping lets you play fewer lands. You play them out, artificially and temporarily reducing your hand size. Then you play symmetric discard, Hell/Heckbent cards, maybe even only these: [Asylum Visitor, Blood Scrivener, Mindstorm Crown, Sea Gate Wreckage, Bloodhall Priest]. This accelerates your card draw, digging, and the power of your cards. Once you get what you want, or your life total get low, or your board gets wiped, you sac your baubles to get back on your feet. What combo pieces are you digging towards? Marionette Master, Pia's Revolution, Furnace Celebration.

Doesn't really fit this, but I'd like to share this before I forget it.

Shocklands, fetchlands, checklands, scrylands, bouncelands, these names are eternal because they make sense when you look at the card (ok, you do need to know Shock, but that card is reprinted every now and then). The connection to the set name in battlelands is tenuous at best. There are now multiple sets with "battle" in the name (and a land cycle in the set), as time goes on there will be more and more players that haven't played during Battle of Zendikar, and thus will not get the name, and if the tangolands ever get reprinted a lot of people will associate the lands with the new set which makes the nickname even more confusing.

That is a very good argument why the Fetch lands maybe should not have been named Fetch lands. I am not saying I agree with the argument but when the Fetch lands first came out in Onslaught 2002 we had these:

First printed in Mirage in 1996.

One could also argue the ‘new’ Fetch lands from Onslaught and Zendikar would differ from the old ones by paining you but the Pain lands are these:

One could argue these could be named Check lands:

or
since they check if a certain criteria is met in order to enter the battlefield untapped.

I like the names we have now. I also prefer Tango. I just really, really understand why some people question the names we have now and their origins.

—————

On the speculation note:
I think Wizards plan on making the Tango/Fencing/Battle Lands again in enemy color-combination. I also believe they will do it in a non-Zendikar set. I think it was beautiful done when they incoorporated the Fetch lands into Tarkir and I hope they will do something along those lines with the enemy Tangos.

Write some flavor text man :) The original five each had.

Also it is interesting you went with pictures that all had a human or humanoid on them. Although I cannot really see one on the Lush Bog?

PS. Extremely nice names and art!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Write some flavor text man :) The original five each had.

Also it is interesting you went with pictures that all had a human or humanoid on them. Although I cannot really see one on the Lush Bog?

PS. Extremely nice names and art!

Write me some :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Will do!

Do you have a lore/flavor in your cube or should they be more generic? Or do you want the flavor text to relate to some planes made by Wizards of the Coast?
I think they should fit the flavor text of the original lands ;)

Edit: There's only two continents left though: Sejiri (literally a plateau surrounded by cliffs, sounds {R/W} to me) and Bala Ged (dense jungles and deadly marshes, definitely {B/G}). You could mention "the Roil" in the flavor text for the {U/R} land, but that still leaves two colors. Also, the art doesn't really fit Zendikar anyway, so maybe it should fit the flavor of the originals only in style?

I think they should fit the flavor text of the original lands ;)

Edit: There's only two continents left though: Sejiri (literally a plateau surrounded by cliffs, sounds {R/W} to me) and Bala Ged (dense jungles and deadly marshes, definitely {B/G}). You could mention "the Roil" in the flavor text for the {U/R} land, but that still leaves two colors. Also, the art doesn't really fit Zendikar anyway, so maybe it should fit the flavor of the originals only in style?

I had planned to write an initial draft for Chris in the spirit of the original five where they speak of continents. However I need to know if Chris has any specific continents in mind. That is why I asked him about any important lore to him :)

Tbh they already messed up their flavortexts….

From Prairie Stream: "the continent of Ondu is a vast plateau..."

They should have used sejiri as the UW land continent, and ondu for RW (if they make it zendikar themed)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Quick question: Did you not play Magic back in 2009 when Zendikar came out?

Sejiri is clearly the icy north constantly covered in snow and ice with Yeti's and Drakes.

Also these are the cards with Sejiri in their name:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=sejiri&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

I started playing in 1999 and I'm entirely aware of the tundra, but we already have a {W/U} land in the cycle, and if we're looking for the best fit for Sejiri given that it can't be {W/U}, it's either {U/R} or {R/W}. Since the Roil fits {U/R} as well in my mind, but not {R/W}, I picked {R/W} for Sejiri. I mean, the place does house a number of red creatures (goblins, yetis) and white creatures (griffins, felidar) besides the blue creatures (drakes, sphinxes), so really, it does fit, even if it's not the first color combination you'ld expect.

I started playing in 1999 and I'm entirely aware of the tundra, but we already have a {W/U} land in the cycle, and if we're looking for the best fit for Sejiri given that it can't be {W/U}, it's either {U/R} or {R/W}. Since the Roil fits {U/R} as well in my mind, but not {R/W}, I picked {R/W} for Sejiri. I mean, the place does house a number of red creatures (goblins, yetis) and white creatures (griffins, felidar) besides the blue creatures (drakes, sphinxes), so really, it does fit, even if it's not the first color combination you'ld expect.

Oh now I understand.

I do not think the new five lands has to be from the same plane. That would be highly unusual.

Pain lands switched.
Fetch lands switched plane from Dominaria to Zendikar.
Check lands switched set from Core to the plane of Innistrad. Then again to Ixalan.
Fast lands switched plane from Mirrodin to Kaladesh.

Etc.

I can only assume the enemy Battle Tangos will be from a non-Zendikar plane.

I designed a rakdos keyword, which encourages reckless attacking and shows flavorwise the anger the guy feels when he sees someone who has more riches - like the right parties who are telling their voters that immigrants get everything for free :D

Rakdos Butcher {1}{B}{R}
First Strike
Resentment- When ~ attacks, if defending player has more cards in hand than you, ~ gains double strike until end of turn.
3/1

G0rehouse Maniac {R}
Haste
Resentment - When ~ attacks, if defending player has more cards in hand than you, it gain +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like it, but there is tension with black'slove for discarding your opponent's cards. "Covetousness" would be a good alternative name for this mechanic.

I like it, but there is tension with black'slove for discarding your opponent's cards. "Covetousness" would be a good alternative name for this mechanic.

Even just changing the language to "If you have fewer cards in hand than defending player" shifts that focus to me. At first glance with Ravnic's wording, I was thinking how I could get more cards into my opponent's hand, which seems odd, unique, but not exactly Rakdos. Reading Sigh's comment helped spin that narrative for me. Although, I do wish there was a more common mechanic like that, similar to Goblin Guide.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/impervious-greatwurm/

The card itself is totally meh, but yeah, convoke is back, baby!
That will probably mean, that selesnya will go back to their roots and be about masses again, like in OG Ravnica. Saprolings instead of centaurs!
It also means, that succesful keywords might return. I would not mind to see more of Scavenge, Replicate, Battalion, Hellbent, Bloodthirst and either Simic mechanic.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
sorry, the gigantic eldritch horror that drove people insane and destroyed the fabric of several planes in the multiverse after it was trapped in the moon is officially smaller than some CGI wurm that was trapped in the wrapping of your Guilds box when you bought it

Don't worry though, we'll fly in the Jacestice Pest Control League, they've dealt with huge indestructible monstrosities before!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'd be down for more Scavenge, anything that links two cool themes (counters, GY) is sweet. I liked Evolve and Graft. Replicate is cool but not coming back but Overload is on the table! Sadly I fear Radiance may be sitting this one out