General Speculation-Thread

Dom Harvey

Contributor
oh that's cool, I was basing that on a Maro comment but I must have confused it with a different mechanic there. Spells matter is a broad enough theme that they don't *need* to go back to replicate this time

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Overload come back on the basis that Cyclonic Rift desperately needs a reprint for commander - it's the second most played card in the format after Sol Ring and it's up to 20 bucks, and it wasn't in any of the 2018 commander decks. There'll probably be a reprint of Chromatic Lantern as well for the same reason.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Overload come back on the basis that Cyclonic Rift desperately needs a reprint for commander - it's the second most played card in the format after Sol Ring and it's up to 20 bucks, and it wasn't in any of the 2018 commander decks. There'll probably be a reprint of Chromatic Lantern as well for the same reason.

Their reprint strategy has been laughable as of late, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Eh, I think Battlebond demonstrates they're willing to reprint the casual staples even if that's not the case for Modern and Legacy cards. Doubling Season, Land Tax, Seedborn Muse, Mycosynth Lattice and a few others that were creeping up.

FWIW, overload is higher on the storm scale than replicate, at a 6. I personally think overload is slightly more useable, because balancing a spell that can be cast N times is tricky.

Didn't know rift was 20 bucks???? sigh. MTG market has been going a little wild the past couple years.

On Ravnica 1: Boros was the law.

On Ravnica 2: Azorius wrote the law and Boros was the police to carry out those laws.

I wonder what is going to happen in Ravnica 3 although my guess would be the same as Rav2.

About the sizes of our creatures: I have always believes that the sizes in regards to Power/Toughness is relative to the plane. An Emrakul on Zendikar could be the size of a Nephilim on Ravnica. Depending on the eyes of the beholder. Relative scale. Although this has always been my personal guess and never confirmed. It could explain why Emrakul was suddenly smaller on Innistrad.

..Now Ravnica 3 is about to come. I have to admit that I am still quite stoked for it. I feel like I shouldn't be that exited for the third repeat, but I have an unhealthy love for the City of Guilds..

We now have the Guild mechanics for Ravnica 3 :) Hurry up and make the thread before some Guildless does it before you!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I remember Ravnica 1 being the same as your Ravnica 2. Grand Arbiter Augustin IV was the guild leader, and according to the MtG Wiki...

Augustin IV held what is perhaps the most powerful position in Ravnica on paper. As the Grand Arbiter of the Azorius Senate, he was the leader of Ravnica's "technical" ruling body, which has the most legal authority in the entire plane by far, if not the most actual authority. He remained in this position until he was killed by Szadek. Following his death, Leonos II took over his position.

Link

Meanwhile, Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran was one of the protagonists of the original Ravnica storyline, and this Boros character is described on the MtG Wiki as such...

Agrus Kos was an officer of the League of Wojek in the Boros Legion. From a young age, Kos believed in upholding the law. As an orphan, his only dream was to join the Boros and protect the citizenry of Ravnica. Kos epitomized the tough "street cop" archetype, complete with a drinking problem and a distaste for rookies.

Link

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't know rift was 20 bucks???? sigh. MTG market has been going a little wild the past couple years.

This is nutso, I'm pretty sure I got it for around 20 cents when RTR was released. Or just kept a copy from a draft and didn't think anything of it, other than being a borderline cube card.

I want to take a quick look at all of the mechanics that could return in Ravnica Allegiances

Here is where all of the guild mechanics (and investigate, since it was mentioned) fall on the storm scale.
Azorius
Forecast- 8
Detain- 3
Investigate- 3

Rakdos
Hellbent- 5
Unleash- 4

Gruul
Bloodthirst- 3
Bloodrush- 6

Orzhov
Haunt- 9
Extort- 6

Simic
Graft- 8
Evolve- 5

Looking at this list based on storm-scale rating alone, this means that we are most likely going to see Detain or Bloodthirst. Like Convoke, Bloodthirst even appeared in a core set at one point! Investigate could be a perfect fit for Azorius in the new story, since everyone is trying to figure out what is going on.

The mechanic I want to see return the most out of this list is Evolve. It is such a perfect fit for Simic, and I feel like there is enough design space left for it to work in new and interesting ways.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I almost expect bloodthirst to be the rakdos mechanic this time around though. Probably not because of historic reasons, but it does fit well, even flavorwise.
Orzhov will surely get a new mechanic, neither of the previous two was a smash hit.

Some of the things they said in the GRN Mechanics Reveal Stream alluded to Convoke being the only returning mechanic in the block.
MaRo has been playing coy on his blog hinting that one of the guild mechanics is a returning mechanic that wasn't used for a guild before. That's one of the reasons people keep calling out Investigate for Azorius (a move I would absolutely support).

Simic Centaur 3G
Creature - Centaur Mutant Warrior
Modulargraft 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with 3 +1/+1 counters on it. When it dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target creature that shares a color with it)
0/0

This is my wish for Simic