Card/Deck Spellshapers

Would you play any of these cards?

I'm playing the bouncer at the moment and he's been good, but I'd love it if it was possible to use one or two more of them spellshapers. Maybe the dark ritual one would be useful? Could allow a heavuer splash of black or something? Or am I just trying to hard to get these kinds of cards, that I do like, into my cube?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Most of these cards are awful. Jaya Ballard, Task Mage and Waterfront Bouncer is good. Greenseeker and bog witch are usable.

The main problem is that being a spell on a body is huge liability when you have to both tap the creature AND pay mana for it. Dawnstrider and undertaker have useful effects, but there are non-creature spells that do the same thing without the massive liability of being really easy to kill.

Did I mention these cards come on non-competitive bodies too?

CML

Contributor
Given design's (understandable) distaste for game-ending repeated effects ad nauseam, what would a playable and fun Spellshaper look like? (Jaya Ballard is a good answer, maybe 'walkers could provide some design direction)

Walkers probably are the new spellshapers; they provide repeated spell effects without being on embarrassing bodies and costing a bunch of resources you'd rather not pay. Sure the design is nice of 'any card in your hand becomes my spell', but 'I can cast this spell, you want me to' is probably better for gameplay.

In fact, looking at that list, there hasn't been a spellshaper since Future Sight, so I think that backs that up a bit. Plus the fact they're aiming for the game to be more about creature combat rather than having a creature that can convert your cards into value spells.