Card/Deck Tezzeret (either one) and making them work in cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is Mishra's Workshop still too good if it's powering out a Smokestack,Lodestone Golem, or Mindslaver??

Well, part of the drawback (like Gaea's Cradle) is that sometimes it taps for {0}. I think this question is also a function of how brown your decks can be. Also note that, powering out Lodestone Golem is what the card is doing in Vintage, so you've kind of chosen one of the most broken applications and asked if it's "too good".

Well, part of the drawback (like Gaea's Cradle) is that sometimes it taps for {0}. I think this question is also a function of how brown your decks can be. Also note that, powering out Lodestone Golem is what the card is doing in Vintage, so you've kind of chosen one of the most broken applications and asked if it's "too good".
You have to keep in mind the reason that it's so good there though. Context I think matters quite a bit for that one.

CML

Contributor
BUUUUUUUMP

someone write a primer and convince me to UB tezz it. maybe inkmoth nexus in land draft or something.

I'm just gonna list reasonable cards from my various list since I'm trying to make this work in my cube I'm building from the ground up:
Baleful Strix
Shardless Agent
Tidehollow Sculler
Etherium-Horn Sorcerer
Porcelain Legionnaire
Phyrexian metamorph
Epochrasite
Perilous Myr
Phyrexian Revoker
Everflowing Chalice
Crystal Shard
Erratic Portal
Basilisk Collar
Brittle Effigy
Bonesplitter
Skullclamp
Ankh of Mishra
Coldsteel Heart
Lightning Greaves
Prismatic Lens
Shrine of Burning Rage
Shrine of Loyal Legions
Chromatic Lantern
Coalition Relic
Crystal Ball
Grafted Wargear
Oblivion Stone
Ring of Gix
Tangle Wire
Vedalken Shackles
Worn Powerstone
Palladium Myr
Nevinyrral's Disk
Batterskull
Chimeric Mass
Icy Manipulator
Spellskite
Etched Oracle
Lodestone Golem
Metalworker (probably too narrow)
Myr Battlesphere
Platinum Angel
Sundering Titan
Solemn Simulacrum
Precursor Golem
Duplicant
Mox Diamond (this is one maybe worth doubling up on)
Zuran Orb (Trinket Mage target works well with Crucible/Loam. Maybe too anti aggro)
Expedition Map
Pithing Needle
Sensei's Divining Top
Guardian Idol
Isochron Scepter
Scroll Rack
Thorn of Amethyst (prison theme)
Sphere of Resistance(see above)
Trinisphere (probably too narrow but nice with prison theme)
Witchbane Orb
Memory Jar
Horn of Greed
Staff of Domination
Birthing Pod
Mind Stone
Ratchet Bomb
Runechanter's Pike
Crucible of Worlds
Mimic Vat
Mindslaver (gives incentive to grab Academy Ruins from utility lands[/c]
Smokestack (I have an unhealthy love for this cards)
Engineered Explosives
Whip of Erebos
Spear of Heliod
Hammer of Purphoros (makes more artifacts!)
Bident of Thassa (good for blue aggro too)
Ethersworn Canonist (meh)
Inkwell Leviathan (probably not that fun)
Elixir of Immortality
Mask of Memory
Mortarpod
Prophetic Prism
Sphere of the Suns
Arcane Spyglass(I love this card)

Laz

Developer

You do not want this. I had this, after the combo was assembled twice, Thopter Foundry was instantly removed from the Cube. With Tez and Trading Post/Academy Ruins the combo ceases to be cute, but rather becomes quite easy to find and very resilient.

I like Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. I find that he often shows up in pack three and does nothing, but he has been a main player in some very good decks when opened pack one. I haven't stretched my artifact section too far to accommodate him, but I do run Signets, so that definitely helps.

Reactions: CML

CML

Contributor
F me i'm letting my noggin get poisoned by all the Blue people around here.

one thing that brings me joy to contemplate is Enlightened Tutor ceasing to suck after Zur / Tezz themes are implemented.

how do y'all feel about the following cards in terms of playability and fun for my cube (or just general design thoughts -- my cube is at http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/114)

edit: i don't think Tezzeret the Seeker is a good idea (sucks unless he's tutoring up lock pieces in Constructed is my guess) but I'm willing to consider I'm just screwing it up

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just jam UB Tezzeret and some artifact lands into the utility draft. That's all it took for us to get a 3 - 0 Tezzeret artifact control list.

If you really want you can include build-a-Baneslayer targets like Vault Skirge, which also supports the lifegain theme.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Epochrasite is a mensch. There are so many incidental ways to 'activate' it - Unearth/cheap reanimation, blink, Reveillark, early sac effects.

Perilous Myr is sweet.

Lightning Greaves never seems to be talked about given just how good it is. Maybe it's just taken for granted that it's insane, but then I rarely see it in lists.

O-Stone seems too clunky. Killing planeswalkers might be a good thing given how little of the old mass removal does (think Nev's Disk) but it makes it hard to abuse in a profitable way.

Needle is unremarkable but gets the job done.

Horn of Greed can't be good in Limited. Please prove me wrong on that if you can.

idk what to think about Scroll Rack. It looks good on paper but was terrible in practice for me.

Mimic Vat is great, include it right away.

Mindslaver is soooo expensive. It's only ever good if you have ways to cheat it out, though from what I've seen of your Cube the pace might be slow enough that it can compete on its own merits?

Mask of Memory is... eh. Aggro decks don't want it, so you're reduced to slapping it on a Vendilion Clique or something in your midrange deck. That's ok, but... eh.

Mortarpod is a necessary component of the sac/Zombie theme I imagine but it looks so unimpressive against any Baneslayer-esque card.

I like Prism! It's ideal for those of you who want colourless fixing but hate Signets/colourless accel

Sphere is playable but the possibility of it being dead offends me.

The only reaction you can really have to Clasp is 'play it if you have stuff it works with, don't otherwise'

Vault Skirge is also great with Pods and Devotion.

I play Perilous Myr, Pithing Needle, and Mimic Vat despite no Tezzerets. Wholeheartedly recommend them all (maybe except for needle).

CML

Contributor
thanks dom, super-helpful.

so i tried to do a search for rules text of "artifact" in someone else's more artifacty cube, but I couldn't figure out how to do so on CubeTutor (or anywhere else) without being the Cube's "curator." in the classic CS problem of "is it worth it to figure this out," I decided it wasn't and then wasted a lot of time going through stillborn 720s to little avail. i did however remember this guy existed ...

Did I mention that I think signets are probz essential to this archetype? That or rocks.

I think you make this archetype work without the usual and obvious signets and rocks. There's a lot of very good artifacts at your disposal.
Horn of Greed can't be good in Limited. Please prove me wrong on that if you can.

idk what to think about Scroll Rack. It looks good on paper but was terrible in practice for me.
Fastbond Exploration. Boom next question. In all seriousness though it's probably not very great outside of my combo cube.
I think Scroll Rack gets pretty sweet if you've doubled up on fetchlands.

thanks dom, super-helpful.

so i tried to do a search for rules text of "artifact" in someone else's more artifacty cube, but I couldn't figure out how to do so on CubeTutor (or anywhere else) without being the Cube's "curator." in the classic CS problem of "is it worth it to figure this out," I decided it wasn't and then wasted a lot of time going through stillborn 720s to little avail. i did however remember this guy existed ...

Thanks Ryan super helpful list you posted there* (fixed that for you :p)
I love Goblin Welder. It's probably one of my favorite cards of all time but it's one you have to watch because of the potential for abuse with Sundering Titan and Myr Battlesphere. However if you have Goblin Welder, Trading Post, Thopter Foundry I could definitely see adding in something like Ichor Wellspring and Mycosynth Wellspring and maybe even throwing in Phyrexia's Core or Buried Ruin to the Utility Land draft.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
So I watched Niki draft and play what looked like a really sweet U/B Tezzeret deck last week in Jason's inaugural online draft, replete with utility pile-supplied artifact lands, and I immediately pledged to try it out in my own cube.

What's a good, non-obnoxious finisher for Tezz to dig for? I'm thinking Batterskull or Wurmcoil Engine are a little bit too annoying and repetitive for my tastes. Are any of these worthwhile? Anyone got some other ideas?

So I watched Niki draft and play what looked like a really sweet U/B Tezzeret deck last week in Jason's inaugural online draft, replete with utility pile-supplied artifact lands, and I immediately pledged to try it out in my own cube.

What's a good, non-obnoxious finisher for Tezz to dig for? I'm thinking Batterskull or Wurmcoil Engine are a little bit too annoying and repetitive for my tastes. Are any of these worthwhile? Anyone got some other ideas?

I'll put some thunk into it! Value Tezz is sorta where I'm thinking so far. Inkmoth or Darksteel something in the land draft seem helpful. Most of where I've played that bugger is in unfair tinker decks though.

Also where do I find Niki's draft vid?