Sets [THB] Theros Beyond Death *SPOILER*

A bunch more common cards got leaked- it looks like escape will appear on some instant and sorcery spells!

satyrscunning.jpg
fruitoftizerus.jpg

I'm not sure Wotc will be foolish smart enough to put some sort of card filtration effect on an escape spell, but I really hope they do! Repeatable flashback is the best flashback.

naiadofhiddencoves.jpg

This card is really quite good! People running U/G flash decks or any spells variant will probably like this. I think the ability to turn Cancel variants into Counterspells is pretty nifty.

I am not sure I understand the flavor behind an instant or sorcery with escape.

It escapes for a second only to return to the dead?

I am not sure I understand the flavor behind an instant or sorcery with escape.

It escapes for a second only to return to the dead?

It's Magic from the underworld escaping for a moment using a spellcaster as a conduit. It's less a case of the spell returning from the dead and more of underworld magic escaping to the overworld.

Since Athreos is the Buy a Box promo, I bet that he is the only multicolor god in the set. Maro confirmed on Blogatog that 15 gods for the original Theros block was too many. Therefore, I think we will have new cards for the 5 mono-color gods and this Athreos.

That ashiok sounds powerful and I do like the synergy between the abilities, but plus to make a 2/3?

I usually don't like to say that "there's power creep in magic" since most of the insanely powerful cards weren't even printed in this millennia, but like, Power creep. Infinite 2/3s is so good...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How is it infinite 2/3s?
I know they didn't say so exactly, but they were obviously referring to the 2/3's being a + ability, and thus technically infinite given infinite turns. That said, Garruk, Primal Hunter exists, which makes 3/3's as the + ability for the same cmc. Also, Huatli, Warrior Poet makes 3/3's at the same cmc as well without losing loyalty. I think the Garruk is quite a bit stronger, and Huatli might be, so I'm not so sure about that power creep they're talking about. It's nowhere near Oko or WU Teferi (pick one) level either, to talk about just three planeswalkers that have wrecked standard in recent times. If anything, Oko is the planeswalker we should point at when discussing power creep, not new Ashiok. Not in the slightest.

Reactions: dbs
Ticking up to make 2/3s wouldn't be new in green, and it wouldn't feel out of place in white, but in blue/black it's at least a color pie bend. It's the strongest token spam that's ever been available on a planeswalker within dimir.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean I cut garruk primal hunter for power reasons and this is likely much easier to cast on average
Plus it can remove things

en_tkfZAWRbpw.png

Well this is bloody awesome. I really like the use of the devotion mechanic here.

en_YtCzxu38VC.png

You know, I only just got over the urge to stick random enchantment matters cards into my cube like 6 months ago. It's going to be hard to resist trying them again in some capacity even if the support cards do all end up being bad. This is the first of the constellation cards that have been leaked/spoiled where I've been like "woah this is great," but, we haven't seen most of the rares in this set yet.

Maybe if there's enough cards like the new Daxos which are decent enough cards that are incidentally enchantments I could make something work.

The big problem is, how do I justify a 4-drop suite that looks like this:

Oh like Elspeth, Knight-Errant is infinite 1/1s? ;)

Trainmaster?

There are so many previous planeswalkers with a + ability that could produce tokens and none of them have been known to produce infinite tokens. So I am asking how is this one any different at producing infinite?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh like Elspeth, Knight-Errant is infinite 1/1s? ;)

Trainmaster?

There are so many previous planeswalkers with a + ability that could produce tokens and none of them have been known to produce infinite tokens. So I am asking how is this one any different at producing infinite?

Come one Velrun, give him a break. You know it's not infinite tokens, Trainmaster knows it's not infinite tokens. They're using a hyperbole, a shortcut to indicate that as a plus ability you can create a token every turn, and that's perfectly fine. Please don't take every word someone writes literally and then try to badger them into admitting they are not technically correct when it's obvious they never were trying to be technically correct in the first place.

Come one Velrun, give him a break. You know it's not infinite tokens, Trainmaster knows it's not infinite tokens. They're using a hyperbole, a shortcut to indicate that as a plus ability you can create a token every turn, and that's perfectly fine. Please don't take every word someone writes literally and then try to badger them into admitting they are not technically correct when it's obvious they never were trying to be technically correct in the first place.

Please don’t answer for people. You do not have the authority. I believe Trainmaster is very capable of answering for himself.

I mean any unblockable creature deals infinite damage by that logic.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Please don’t answer for people. You do not have the authority. I believe Trainmaster is very capable of answering for himself.

I do not have the authority? Actual WTF? I am asking for myself if you could stop taking every word literally and badger people into admitting they are wrong. It's irritating to me. I value your contributions to this forum, but I could do without you nitpicking people's exact wording. Obviously you care that he used the word "infinite" when we all know it's not actually infinite, but I'm asking you, what does pressing Trainmaster for an answer on this technicality add to the discussion? Absolutely nothing, if you ask me, and that's why I reacted the way I did/do. I would have let it slide if this was a one off thing, but it's certainly not the first time you're being a stickler for this kind of thing.

On topic:

klothyssdesign.jpg

That's kind of a sweet reward. I dislike Overrun for being color intensive and giving too game-ending a boost (especially with granting trample).

miresgrasp.jpg

This is a sweet upgrade over Dead Weight, which is currently in my cube for Zur the Enchanter.

theakroanwar1.jpg

Isn't this the sweetest Threaten ever?

I am always super chill :) There is nothing wrong with asking a person to answer his own questions and not someone else’s.

Trainmaster how is it infinite? Do you need infinite turns for it to be infinite or did I miss something?

Edit: Okay I am going to let it go. I still feel like people should show respect and manner by not stepping on other people. But I will let this question go because I feel like I might be hurting this forum more by asking it than my need to have my curiosity met about what I could have missed when reading this new Ashiok.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
They've really stepped up their game. Another excellent trailer! I feel like watching it again, gruesome as it is. There's that glimmer of hope at the end! :)