Sets [THB] Theros Beyond Death *SPOILER*

That's a really good trailer. They've come a long way from what they used to be, but I still have to say that my favorite is the Journey into Nyx one:

That Erebos narration is just *chef's kiss*

Over my dead body.
Interesting...

I am always super chill :) There is nothing wrong with asking a person to answer his own questions and not someone else’s.

Trainmaster how is it infinite? Do you need infinite turns for it to be infinite or did I miss something?

I didn't have time to write something for you yesterday. It hasn't even been a full day yet since I posted my original comment. You don't have to ask for something four times in less than 24 hours.

Perhaps Infinite wasn't the right word to use for this- maybe limitless would have been more appropriate?

What I was trying to convey is that this Ashiok lets you get a 2/3 with upside every turn for the rest of the game unless it leaves the board. Sure, we've had W/G/R planeswalkers able to do that before, but in those instances the token was just a vanilla creature or a french vanilla creature.

This is the first time we've had a U/B walker that could make tokens that are that big and that useful. And unlike a card like Oko, Thief of Crowns and Teferi, Time Raveler, Ashiok's power level here is deliberate. I think had this card been printed 10 years ago, it could have easily been one of the best Planeswalkers. By today's standards, I'd be surprised if this card doesn't reach bulk status in a month or so.

Over my dead body.

Interesting...

I didn't have time to write something for you yesterday. It hasn't even been a full day yet since I posted my original comment. You don't have to ask for something four times in less than 24 hours.

Perhaps Infinite wasn't the right word to use for this- maybe limitless would have been more appropriate?

What I was trying to convey is that this Ashiok lets you get a 2/3 with upside every turn for the rest of the game unless it leaves the board. Sure, we've had W/G/R planeswalkers able to do that before, but in those instances the token was just a vanilla creature or a french vanilla creature.

This is the first time we've had a U/B walker that could make tokens that are that big and that useful. And unlike a card like Oko, Thief of Crowns and Teferi, Time Raveler, Ashiok's power level here is deliberate. I think had this card been printed 10 years ago, it could have easily been one of the best Planeswalkers. By today's standards, I'd be surprised if this card doesn't reach bulk status in a month or so.

I wasn’t unpatient. I could happily wait for your response. I just wanted other people to be gentlemens enough to let you answer your own questions because (and now you have proven this) you are way better at explaining your own thoughts than they would ever be able to.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What I was trying to convey is that this Ashiok lets you get a 2/3 with upside every turn for the rest of the game unless it leaves the board.

Thanks for putting this into words so much clearer than I did, I would have never guessed what you meant by infinite otherwise :rolleyes:;)

Over my dead body.

Interesting...
Ok, real talk. Cut the dinosaur instead! :p

I'm now actively wondering how cool Living Terrain would be. It eats up one of your lands, but 5/6 for {2}{G}{G} is huge, and if you drop it after you reach five mana it has haste as well. I'm almost convincing myself to run it, even though I don't run a constellation theme in green! Since I run a {W}{B}{U}{G}{R} color wheel, ideally I would need Theros 2.0 to add some enchantment support to either blue or red to bridge the theme in green to black or white, respectively.

In the official "Escape" mechanic spotlight video, WOTC confirmed that there will be Auras with the Escape mechanic.

More interestingly, apparently there will be Equipment "making a break for it" as well...

Sagas, Constellation, Escape, A New (old) God, Demigods... This set has so much potential to be cool. Let's hope they manage to stick the landing with this!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
underworldragehound1.jpg

I completely missed that this is an elemental! This is now 100% making my cube as the perfect cross-over card between Boros Aggro and Temur Elementals :)

And even though I dislike CC costs on my creatures, new Daxos looks great. It's legendary, it can be fetched with Zur, and it's very well statted without being oppressive. Great card.

theakroanwar1.jpg

Isn't this the sweetest Threaten ever?

This card has been known since October but yes it is veeeeeery sweet. It just does so much. But most Sagas are really sweet because they are sorceries that rebounds twice with new effects every turn. And they have historic-synergy and enchantment-synergy without losing out on the prowess-trigger. I love it!

I feel like The Akroan War is almost doing too much of the full package in one card :p Normally it feels pretty fun (for both players actually) when a Wrangle is followed up with an Evolutionary Leap which is a high reward for assembling such a small combo between two, already decent, cube cards. With Akroan you get all of it in one card. I have to cube it but I don't know how I am going to feel about it :p

underworldragehound1.jpg

I completely missed that this is an elemental! This is now 100% making my cube as the perfect cross-over card between Boros Aggro and Temur Elementals :)

And even though I dislike CC costs on my creatures, new Daxos looks great. It's legendary, it can be fetched with Zur, and it's very well statted without being oppressive. Great card.

Usman said it was good on Twitter.

I'm looking at trying it as well. 4 mana for a 4/2 that doesn't cost you a card to play seems pretty good in my opinion. The "drawback" isn't something that most decks that would play something like this care about- they want to be swinging in and hitting anyway.

That's a really good trailer. They've come a long way from what they used to be, but I still have to say that my favorite is the Journey into Nyx one:

That Erebos narration is just *chef's kiss*

Man, as good as the gingerbread lady and Linkin Park cover trailers have been lately, I still think the best Magic trailers were Theros block and the Phyrexian trailers for Scars of Mirrodin block. And as much as they talked up Ramin Djawadi for the new Theros trailer, I thought it was sort of uninspired compared to the old Theros trailers.

Fun fact:

I met Ramin Djawadi at a Game of Thrones concert in Copenhagen because we had VIP tickets to do an interview with him. We got a lot of fun answers to our questions but the one I wanted to share with you guys was to my question about what his story with Game of Thrones and how he came up with the theme song for the TV show.

You know the song that plays while this is going on:

5A4FA36D-0ED3-405F-8ED4-C2BA1E2A04E2.jpeg

He said he was hired to do all the music for each of the great houses and all of the overall background music but he didn’t know who they had hired to do the theme song. It turned out that they hadn’t hired any or had changed their minds about what they got because they suddenly asked him to do the theme song as well.

He composed and created the song and the show went live two days later.

Klothys looks pretty sweet. Cheap to play, incidental graveyard hate, and does an impression of Sulfuric Vortex without being so obnoxious. Might give it a try.

For anyone running mono black devotion:

You now have the option of running two Merchants without having duplicate art.

6A15C953-01C1-4621-9A8D-2CE6E6708AC9.jpeg

But maybe you could go duplicate Gary where one of the cards has Theros art and the other has Beyond Death art.

I kind of want to try The Binding of the Titans but it seems too slow for what it does. Maybe if it only milled you and milled for 4 or 5 instead of 3 it would be really good. Right now it seems a bit chaff-y.

I kind of hope this turns out to be a card that looks really bad until you play with it and it turns out to be insanely good- kind of like Fires of Invention.