The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Download Link (Excel 2010 or later required)
CubeTutor Link
Custom Card Images link is found in my sig, and updates with each patch

Quick Stats:
450 cards
Unpowered
All Rareties
Duplicates
Custom Cards

Custom cards used to be text spoiler'd in the first few posts, but you can now find them in the Google drive link above. Most of them are there are role players, essentially for the same reason I run duplicates; there are some cards that would be really great for a cube, but WotC hasn't made yet.

In the meantime, if you download the excel file (sorry, vba is one of the programming languages I speak, so I've coded a few things into the spreadsheet, like sorting algorithms and a wantlist generator) the custom cards are the green cells with comments (Apologies to the colorblind)

I really like your custom cards. They all seem quite balanced, yet powerful enough to not end up as last picks. I was always too timid to include custom made cards... bending existing cards via errata is the farthest I've been willing to go.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay Go! :p

Also Jason, can we do spoiler tags or should I just put a "Beware 56k" tag on this thread? There will be a lot of images

I don't know if these forums actually support spoiler tags. But there is a limit of 20 images per post, so keep that in mind. If that's a problem let me know, I think I can change it. I really like your custom cards, and you've put a lot of effort into getting the look of the cards to be very polished. I'll swing back later for more specific commentary on the cards.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I usually hate browsing custom card forums, because people just don't know how to design cards. They jam three or four clashing abilities onto cards that are undercosted and completely off the color pie. So with all that said, I'm very impressed by all of the cards you've come up with. They all feel like something that Wizards could possibly do, stay within the boundaries of the color pie, and are costed fairly. What I'm the most impressed by is the restraint you've shown in your designs. These aren't new, crazy abilities you're waving around to show that you can design cards; they're mostly abilities that the colors are known for, just combined in new and interesting ways. Well done!

I suppose I could do without the anime artwork. But that's just cranky old me. Also, if I could offer one real critique, I kind of hate that Cultist Ringleader is so much better than Knight of Meadowgrain. Maybe either an activated cost for first strike (I'm thinking 1B), or a random landwalk in place of it...?

Forum-wise, there is a spoiler tag, but I'm not sure that it would actually prevent the images from being downloaded to user's computers. That said, feel free to go hog wild with inline images. It's 2013 - we all have broadband, right? Except for those poor folks trying to hit up your thread on their mobile phones and blowing a month's worth of data.

Just a note: seems like some of your custom card images are broken, starting with March of Time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I haven't uploaded them all yet ^_^ Patience! :p
I feel that way about cultist ringleader as well. Not so huge a fan of rando-landwalk (since it's kinda uninteractive) or activated first strike (unless it's cheap. B might work, but 2 mana is just so painful for the curve), but like I said, "pay 2 life: regenerate" might work, or follow nighthawk and have deathtouch instead.

He might not need to exist at all, to be honest. I've noticed I've made a lot of incidental lifegain for black, some of it can probably go.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, let me say that I love your custom cards. Really. How did you get such great art for all of these? And custom flavor text too? I'm sold.

That said, I keep coming back here to look at them, and having to pop open the spoiler tags is really annoying. Maybe I am in the minority, but I'm surfing on a laptop after work and am finding it slow and tedious to click all of them open. Anyways, my vote is to take away the spoiler tags. As Eric noted, they do load whether they are spoilered away or not.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, you may be right :p
Whelp, prepare to be BOMBARDED BY IMAGES!

How do we feel about the shock fetches? Are they really worth having in, or do both control and aggro like the original fetches enough that I should just double up?

Last edited:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You mean the shock fetchlands that I made up and mentioned in some article? Aggro and control love shock-fetches and real fetchlands. It's really just a personal preference thing. I use all real cards now, but given how adventurous you are that won't be an impediment. This is pretty firmly in the "do what you want" domain, in my opinion.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Shock fetches seem really sweet, and roughly in-line with the power level of normal fetches. I don't run any custom cards myself, but since you've already gone hog wild with them in your own set, I'd vote to go with those.

How do these work with shocklands? Is it crack, fetch, TAKE FOUR?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Shock fetches seem really sweet, and roughly in-line with the power level of normal fetches. I don't run any custom cards myself, but since you've already gone hog wild with them in your own set, I'd vote to go with those.

How do these work with shocklands? Is it crack, fetch, TAKE FOUR?

Yeah, that line happens. Another unique aspect of them is that if you let them ETB tapped, they can be Wastelanded.

I think it might be cool to have a thread solely dedicated to custom cards ? just adding 2 cents.

As for the cards, i think they're all really solid and strong designs. I wouldn't be suprised if any of these designs popped up in , say, Theros or some other future set.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The way I have them worded, you can opt to not pay life for godless shrine's trigger, then pay life for the fetch's trigger, which will untap them.

Ah, yes, I will admit, when I wrote my original post I hadn't worked my way through all your (now non-existing) spoiler tags.

But now I have gotten through all of them! I will start by saying that I really love your custom cards. Most of them feel great, and I would be super excited to draft your cube sometime. Below are some minor comments and critiques on cards I wasn't quite sold on:

Drakken, the Bloodmonger - I think this card is too strong, but I could be wrong. Card advantage on a +1 ability of a three-mana walker is pretty nutty (e.g. see Jace Beleren for comparison). Also, I don't feel that the strength of this card is all that interesting. It doesn't get me excited to play with it. Custom Planeswalker design is super hard though. Part of that owes to the fact that we as players want really splashy and new effects from real PWs, but kind of look down on custom cards that try to be too original and out there. It's a fine-line to tread.

There's also the fact that this has the same cost as 3CMC Liliana, which isn't doing it any favors. Liliana has that perfect blend of power and synergy, and is my favorite PW design yet .

Your other Planeswalkers left me a bit flat too.

I'm all in support of having sift work in the opposite direction (discard first). I'm with Rosewater here in the thinking that this doesn't really have to be keyworded (especially if it's the only card with this mechanic :) ).

I love Cascade (Heartwood Empath) and agree people totally mis-evaluate Shardless Agent. Cascade on a monocolored card feels sacrilegious though.

March of Time: Not a fan of delayed card draws. Magic is a tedious enough game as is.

Lastly, I hate the archetype-based fixing stuff. I want to be able to build controlling Boros decks or aggressive Dimir decks. These are hard enough to put together, without having to fight against mana bases pidgeon-holed for other strategies. I've never really understood the advantage to doing stuff like that over lands that are more archetype-neutral.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I also don't have much time for custom cards in Cube in general, but that's more because of the implementation as I've seen it tried than because I'm opposed to the idea - though I guess that's part of it too (the Custom Cube project or whatever it was that ran on SCG soured me on the idea for a long time).

Quick judgements: like Ringleader, Taxman, Brawler, Empath, Cave, and the enemy colour fastlands. Not a fan of the planeswalkers, and the shock duals seem unnecessary.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Drakken, the Bloodmonger - I think this card is too strong, but I could be wrong. Card advantage on a +1 ability of a three-mana walker is pretty nutty (e.g. see Jace Beleren for comparison). Also, I don't feel that the strength of this card is all that interesting. It doesn't get me excited to play with it. Custom Planeswalker design is super hard though. Part of that owes to the fact that we as players want really splashy and new effects from real PWs, but kind of look down on custom cards that try to be too original and out there. It's a fine-line to tread.

There's also the fact that this has the same cost as 3CMC Liliana, which isn't doing it any favors. Liliana has that perfect blend of power and synergy, and is my favorite PW design yet .

Your other Planeswalkers left me a bit flat too.
Planeswalkers are hard man! Good catch on Drakken. I'm wondering if I could make it so that he has no ultimate, making the card advantage plus ability a less relavant fact.
The three of them (Drakken, Unknowable and Lyra) are all in here because bant has the lion's share of powerful planeswalkers, and I wanted to even that out a bit. Maybe there's a better way to go about it?

I'm all in support of having sift work in the opposite direction (discard first). I'm with Rosewater here in the thinking that this doesn't really have to be keyworded (especially if it's the only card with this mechanic :) ).
It used to be a bigger part of my design, and I think it isn't terrible synergy-wise, at least with black (and squee).
I'll probably change him now that it's less of a theme. Back when there were 8 blue cards, Izzet Charm, Faithless Looting and this guy, maybe, but not now.

I love Cascade (Heartwood Empath) and agree people totally mis-evaluate Shardless Agent. Cascade on a monocolored card feels sacrilegious though.
Perhaps just sacrilegious enough to work? Were it from any other block, it certainly seems like a blue/green mechanic (Thicket Elemental meets Mind's Desire). If I had to pin it to a mono-color card, green would be where I look first, I think.
Side note: Why is shardless agent an artifact creature? Doesn't that ruin the whole "shardless" thing, since it's clearly esper, the only shard with artifact creatures whatsoever? I know there was some crossover towards the end of the block, but this just feels like one of those cards that was too powerful, not a new design of something that existed before like the name implies.
You can't be shardless if there aren't any shards any more.

March of Time: Not a fan of delayed card draws. Magic is a tedious enough game as is.
While I agree, the flavor trumps the small gameplay annoyance here. It's no worse than rebound the way I see it.

Lastly, I hate the archetype-based fixing stuff. I want to be able to build controlling Boros decks or aggressive Dimir decks. These are hard enough to put together, without having to fight against mana bases pidgeon-holed for other strategies. I've never really understood the advantage to doing stuff like that over lands that are more archetype-neutral.
I should really look into this. You make a good point, one I hadn't really considered up until now.
What I then have to ask is: What cycle would you include? I'm not sure I can safely go up to 30 fetchlands without things getting real crazy (Might be fun), doubling up on filters seems like a recipe for Yu-Gi-Oh magic (IE no colors), and I'm not sure if another set of beta duals would be that interesting.
Maybe extend the Horizon Canopy cycle? Would you enjoy color appropriate horizon canopies in a control deck?

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it might be cool to have a thread solely dedicated to custom cards ? just adding 2 cents.

As for the cards, i think they're all really solid and strong designs. I wouldn't be suprised if any of these designs popped up in , say, Theros or some other future set.

That's some high praise there, thank you!
As for the custom card thread: I wholly support this endeavor (but need to go to bed) I may have some 40 odd designs here, but I've got a file stored away of less polished/not currently relevant designs that's probably around 200 strong.

Last edited:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay Chris, I am sorry, but we are going to have to hold Flavor Court, right here, right now.

Shardless Agent is an artifact creature, suggesting some sort of Espery thing. However, his colors are UG, which only fit in Bant. This is a mis-match, hence, no shard. Shardless. The prosecution rests its case.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
30 Fetchlands in 540 cards would be the same density as 20 in 360, and I can tell you firsthand it hasn't been a problem. Horizon Canopies are welcome anywhere. As are shocks, painlands, etc. checklands are fine too.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
RE: checklands, you mean Glacial Fortress? I've always called them buddy lands (Bring your buddy, come into play untapped). That could work. They're the land I use when I'm less sure of what the color pair will do, like blue/black and green/black, as opposed to the fastlands for more aggro color combinations and bouncelands for more controlling ones.
I feel a little less great about painlands, as it's a huge pain (hurr hurr hurr) in control decks. Another set of shocklands seems strange, but could work.

I might go with the Horizon Canopies, probably in the modern frame. Not a huge fan of the future sight frame, it's a pain to find art that looks decent and fits it properly. We just don't make circular art that isn't abstract.

Also, Flavordown 2013: The Revengencing Featuring Flava Flav as the Judge: I'll agree, and we have plenty of cards like that. There's an artifact creature with unearth: Esper --> Grixis, there's a vedalken who's green: Esper --> Bant, there's a card called Sigil (Bant) of the Nayan Gods (Naya) But these cards all feel like migrations, not shardless cards. Shardless Agent feels the exact same: Esper --> Bant. That's just one shard to another, not shardless.

You know what would make it an acceptable name? Being a wedge. UGB, 2/2 cascade? Totally feels shardless.
I mean sure, the card would be way worse, but it might still see play. Low cost cascade things are REALLY good after all.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was about to throw a flavor fit about a non two-color cascade card, then I remembered these guys:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx