General The Most Powerful Card Ever

What is the most powerful card ever printed that could go into a cube if you decide your cube has no restrictions other than the card must be a Magic card with Magic back/transform back?

Drop em here

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wait... I have that deja vu feeling...

Im curious, why do you want to know? I mean, isn't this kinda known information? Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, the original Moxen, Black Lotus, Sol Ring, the best conspiracies, Lutri, superior mana fixing.

best-vanguards-mtg.jpg

Wait... I have that deja vu feeling...
The deja vu is because the other thread was corrupted by trolls.

I think it is interesting because, just like you mention 11 cards + whichever many fast mana cards you wanted, it is much more difficult to actually find the best one in a vacuum.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Vanguard has some nutty ones:
5cbb9b5d-9199-4a5b-957d-8fa681caeb7c.jpg
9f7413f4-0ce3-4fd4-b011-4e30ad88f510.jpg
b3e1176b-6b7e-481e-ba19-3799ddfad470.jpg
05c8de73-fd56-49fa-aa17-d04ff1847f8d.jpg
079bdaa4-03ab-4eda-bd7f-ca598118fb47.jpg

I figure gerrard vs squee or someone else who starts with an increase hand size depends on how long the games go. Legacy has it 1 turn and 40 turn games, after all

I still have a set of those old vanguard cards somewhere. I think I’ve used them maybe once. They were included in a collection I bought like 20 years ago

This is probably the winner :p Is it better than Contract from Below and Black Lotus?
yeah by a lot and its not close. start of game bonuses are the most powerful effects in the game because you always have them regardless of starting position. black lotus and contract are really fucking good when i draw them, but squee allows me to start literally every game with a free ancestral that occurs even as im taking my mulligan, it's totally egregious hahaha.

View attachment 4018

I think this might be the most broken Vanguard card though. Exploration + 9 cards probably beats Telepathy + 10 cards :oops:
She certainly might be, the extra mana on turn 1 might be slightly stronger for storm than the 10th card. Probably depends on format legality though, if we’re talking vintage banlist but all the banned cards are now restricted it might be Titania, but if it’s a true free for all format I think it might still be squee as the extra card can help a lot for decks like ripple to have lower failrates.

I'm now tempted to get a pile of these old vanguard cards and just try stuff like 'everyone gets one random vanguard dealt in the middle of the draft'. It's not something for every draft, but it would be interesting to see the impact on my low powered format :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm now tempted to get a pile of these old vanguard cards and just try stuff like 'everyone gets one random vanguard dealt in the middle of the draft'. It's not something for every draft, but it would be interesting to see the impact on my low powered format :D
Get ready to proxy them or shell out a lot of money! These aren't cheap anymore!

considering how winrates plummet in retail limited as soon as you take your first mulligan, i would hesitate to hand out vanguards randomly in most environments. having them in the draft OCCASIONALLY would be fun though