The Video Game Thread

I want to buy a PS4 for Horizon Zero Dawn. That game looks epic!

It's extremely good. It basically rekindled my love for video games after Mass Effect: Andromeda nearly killed it.

That said, the best game of the year is Nier: Automata. That's a 40 hour game that blew my mind on average about once every 90 minutes. The true ending credits (there's a ton of endings, you have to play through the game like 3.5 times to get the true ending) had me both smiling and had tears streaming down my face at the same time. I bought the soundtrack because it's so good, and the day after I finished the game I sat in my car listening to the ending credits music and full on ugly crying.

... It's a really good game is what I'm trying to say.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My girlfriend has taken an interest in learning Halo. She's never fairly conservative in her play (gets kills by running straight at the opponent with the Assault rifle, melee finish), and doesn't try new things in games, so I've invented various games to get her to learn new skills in a fun environment.

1) I can only use grenades, she can use anything.
2) I can only melee, she can only use the pistol
3) I can only melee, she can only use weapons picked up on the map

Each game starts in my favor, but as she picks things up things even out and eventually go in her favor. Now when we play real games against other people, I see her start to get kills in different ways, pick up power weapons, etc.

We did a similar thing with Smash, and she really started to love it once she graduated out of button mashing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Anyone else tried Shardbound yet? It's in pre-alpha, available on Steam. It's a combination of ccg and board game. You have a deck of units, spells, and artifacts, the mana progression mimics Hearthstone (1 mana/turn until you reach 10), and you deploy your units and artifacts on your side of the board. The gameplay is really sweet, positioning is really important. There's a lot of placeholder art still, features like a campaign are absent (you play single games against either the AI or other players), and waiting times for PvP games are a bit long, but this has the makings of a seriously enjoyable game!

I'm completely hooked on Into the Breach right now, which is a mini tactics roguelike from the developers of Faster than Light. It's like XCom except with no RNG in accuracy or damage, and balanced accordingly. The structure of a turn is a bit strange - the enemies move and line up their attacks, then you move and attack, then the enemies' attacks go off. This lets you do things like knock one enemy into the line of fire of another and set up kills that way. Each turn feels like a mini puzzle trying to maximise damage to the enemy and minimize damage taken, and to complicate things each mission has some special objectives which earn currency for upgrades.

One run is 1-3 hours depending on how long you want to put off the "boss" island, and there's a bunch of different squads to try out as well as being able to mix and match your own. I think it's only about $15 on steam if you want to check it out.

Also, when you buy it you get a free copy of Faster than Light so if anyone wants to try that, hit me up.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I never spent much time on Super Mario Maker because there was absolutely no quality. Probably less than 5 percent of levels were what I describe as "fun", and the Utopia of a never ending pile of great original Mario levels (that actually feel like playing Mario) simply didn't exist. Maybe they've since added better curation, but I doubt it.

In any case, I found this interesting clip of GrandPooBear playing a Super Mario World ROM hack. He spends a lot of time complaining, and I think rightly so, about the difference between "hard" and "hard but fun". I link to a specific timestamp below that highlights this.
LINKY

I think over time the gaming community, in all places, is becoming more aware of design standards. Likely this has something to do with shifting demographics. When I was a kid I either liked or disliked something, but didn't really try to dissect it.

Mario Maker (or ROM hacks) are kind of the Cube Design of the Mario world, so it's interesting to see attention called to this.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody played Destiny 2? It seemed like a fun co-op type of game for Karen and I, and the Black Friday deals look enticing. I've never played either Destiny before, and we probably would never really get to the endgame, but I've heard good things about it as a casual experience.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've never played it myself, but a colleague of mine has bought all the expansions and speaks very highly of the game. He thinks it's worth the money for the storyline and gameplay alone, though he doesn't know whether the game will have lasting appeal after the storyline is over. He also doesn't like PvP, so that aspect of the game doesn't even factor into his appreciation of the game.

Or to quote the IGN review: "Destiny 2 succeeds where the original failed the most: its delivery of a story-driven campaign good enough to match its finely tuned first-person shooter gameplay and great looks."

The first Destiny was a blast. I think I played 1500 hours or something before losing interest. The end-game stuff was fun to do as it came out, but what I appreciated most was how the three-player strike playlist held up and was fun to do no matter how many times I had run it.

The progression systems never really worked while I was playing but it didn't really matter; the core game was fun.

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus Remastered for the PS4 right now and it is absolutely gorgeous. I'm still playing with the PS2 classic control scheme which is pretty dogshit, but I've got the muscle memory ingrained after buying it for the 3rd time.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this won't mean much to you youngin's, but these old man hands just got their first 2000 damage game as Pathfinder in Apex Legends. Also, I really love the aesthetic of the Reinforcement Recall badge, so it was a cherry on top to get that in the same game.

I never thought I would like a Battle Royale game because of the slow precedent PUBG set (and my lack of interest in learning to build for Fortnite), but this game has me hooked. Any other forum dwellers playing?

I'm honestly not sure any of my computers can run Apex Legends at a decent framerate.

I've been really jamming on the gen 4 Pokémon games recently. I beat Platinum on an emulator about a month ago and I'm about 70% through HeartGold right now. I beat the Elite 4 and champion already, but I might not finish the Kanto gyms in that game. It kind of got too easy after beating Lance.

Yes, you haha

LOL :D

No, I'm not an open TTDer...

I have an Instagram account (@TrainmasterGT), so you may have seen one of my memes on there. I also used to hang out a lot on the Hypixel Minecraft server between 2015 and 17, and I've recently started to play there a bit again. I used to write little Blitz Survival Games player guides on their forums. I've also been making Youtube Videos for about a year.

I'm back at it again! This time, I actually have a download, as well!
Module KUID: KUID:699717:100040 DCC Base Session KUID: KUID:699717:100135 CAB Base Session KUID: KUID:699717:100134
zFgJC80.jpg

u9TNkDo.jpg

Plus, I have a Minor tease for the next video already as well! You're all going to have to come to terms with seeing stuff like this in M120 Multiplayer:
qkaO27z.jpg

How does multriplayer work in these games? I didn't even know they had them!

Multiplayer only works in Trainz 12 and above. The way it works is someone makes a route and session using only content built-in to the games or which is available on the DLS and includes the "multiplayer" rule when setting up their session rules. Then, they upload the multiplayer session to the DLS and can choose to host it as a multiplayer game whenever they wish.

Thanks! So the idea is that people have certain goals and just drive picking up cargo and such? I haven't played any games like this since MTS so I don't know! haha