The Video Game Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It does seem interesting, unfortunately I don't have a PC to play on right now. I always thought League of Legends had cool lore and worlds but felt that it was lost by only having Champions on somewhat generic maps. Interesting design choice to make the cards have "I" rather than "this card's name". A little bit less wordy, although it reminds me of...

Yeah, it's short and sweet :)

The mobile release is slated before June, I believe, so you'll have to be patient, but it's definitely sooner than Blizzard soon :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is a more accurate ranking than smashboards: http://www.meleeitonme.com/ssbmrank-2015-full-list/
It was compiled at the start of the year by top community figures.

So the five you mentioned are the "five gods" of Melee. For the longest time they almost never lost to anyone except each other. Last year Leffen emerged as the "godslayer" if you will, and took multiple back to back tournaments with all the best in attendance.

For the last many many months Leffen's been banned from competing in the US (where most the major tournaments happened) due to VISA issues (he's from Sweden).

PPMD is away from the scene for long stretches of time because of health issues.

The term "five gods" refers to those specific five players, but sometimes people say "six gods". It's kind of an open debate. There's a player Ken called the "King of Smash", even though he's nowhere near the top of the pack anymore.

This was time well spent for someone who has never played Smash Bros. Melee, I can only imagine it'll be even better for someone who did. Great documentary!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you playing the new Slay the Spire character? It can get up to some busted things...

R3XgFmQ.png

720 damage for 2 energy.

360 (actual math) no scope MLG foghorn montage noise

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I forgot that you guys know slay the spire!
Watcher is sweet, easily the most interesting kit in a bevvy of sweet characters.

Jason: I personally love the synergy between meditate, establishment, and tantrum. Begin each turn with tantrum, leave calm, do double damage the whole time, and end with meditate to remain safe. Adding retain to cards that don't otherwise have it is sweet with establishment, since shaving a mana off stuff like wallop or wheel kick is insane

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot that you guys know slay the spire!
Watcher is sweet, easily the most interesting kit in a bevvy of sweet characters.

Jason: I personally love the synergy between meditate, establishment, and tantrum. Begin each turn with tantrum, leave calm, do double damage the whole time, and end with meditate to remain safe. Adding retain to cards that don't otherwise have it is sweet with establishment, since shaving a mana off stuff like wallop or wheel kick is insane

That combo requires two Meditate+ to pull off turn after turn, correct?

Watcher is so much fun. A little mathy at times, and probably a touch OP. Runs feel much easier with her than the others, but also somehow more unique. My only complaint is that scrying every turn (with some decks) can be quite fiddly and tiresome.

There are a lot of moments where I think 'how am I going to block this attack' and then realize some line like 'I'll just Omniscience Worship and deal 200 damage instead'.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah two Meditate+ to loop, but meditate + establishment is just a strong synergy.
So few of the retain cards are anything less than amazing, given how slay the spire asks you really different questions on different turns

Reactions: dbs

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Made it to the (real) heart once, and got absolutely slaughtered. Having an extra energy each turn is strong, but not being able to see enemy's intentions did me in there :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What I love about this game is that it makes you feel as if you're 'discovering' some new synergies every time.

I had a run yesterday where (on top of having Membership card and two upgraded wishes and a bottled Apotheosis), I got the following combo:

Duality (whenever you play an attack gain 1 temporary dexterity) and Orange Pellets (clear debuffs when you play a skill, attack and power). This made the dexterity non-temporary. What really cranked it up to 11 was the addition of Deva Form and Dead Branch. Dead Branch gave me a steady stream of new cards (including powers), while Deva Form gave me the energy to play everything. After a half-dozen turns I was sitting on 25 dex.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Dead Branch is possibly the best relic in the game :D

Another thing that you can do this interaction with is artifact charges. Artifact Potion + Flex or Hyper Beam + Speed Potion have similar effects

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not the strongest, but the coolest interaction I ever found in this game:

Forethought+ ( 0 energy): Put any number of cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck. They cost 0 until played.
Unceasing Top

Basically any time you draw Forethought+, you pitch your whole hand. Then you play cards 1 by 1 off the top of the deck, and eventually you get to your stash of 0-cost cards and play them all in a row. It's a bit fragile to statuses (without Med Kit) and Curses (without Blue Candle), but it was such a fun, dumb, value play. When do you ever get to take and upgrade Forethought?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Made it to the (real) heart once, and got absolutely slaughtered. Having an extra energy each turn is strong, but not being able to see enemy's intentions did me in there :)

If it helps, the Heart follows relatively fixed patterns. On turns 1 / 4 / 7 / 10 it applies various buffs to itself. In between buffs, it will do a large single attack or a multi attack on one turn, and the other attack on the next. So with Runic Dome, theoretically the only turns the Heart's intentions are unknown are 2 / 5 / 8.

That said, I tend to skip both Dome and Pyramid as boss rewards because I find they reduce my enjoyment of the game immensely.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If it helps, the Heart follows relatively fixed patterns. On turns 1 / 4 / 7 / 10 it applies various buffs to itself. In between buffs, it will do a large single attack or a multi attack on one turn, and the other attack on the next. So with Runic Dome, theoretically the only turns the Heart's intentions are unknown are 2 / 5 / 8.

That said, I tend to skip both Dome and Pyramid as boss rewards because I find they reduce my enjoyment of the game immensely.
Yeah, I tend to skip it normally, but I got it as my random starting relic :’)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Climbing Ascensions as Watcher is infinitely easier than with Defect in my opinion.

Agree. Turns out doubling all damage is super strong, and if you kill your enemy before they can hit you, it doesn't matter much that you hypothetically take double damage. It's fun to play though!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

This was time well spent for someone who has never played Smash Bros. Melee, I can only imagine it'll be even better for someone who did. Great documentary!

I guess for someone who's followed competitive Melee for almost 15 years, I thought the intro (maybe half of the video) slogged on a bit. There's only so many times I can see somebody talk about Evo 2013 or the Five Gods or various other history lessons. I get that these things are necessary given that the target audience isn't Melee players.

That said, it's hard to not have mixed feelings about Hungrybox. I respect him a lot, and don't mind him at the top of the ladder. But it's hard for me to root for him. It has nothing to do with Jigglypuff, but more the fact that... Mango and Leffen and Mew2King have such clear identities, but I'm not fully sure I can say who Hungrybox is. He always seems like he's 'trying', personality wise. In fact, I probably like him most when he's actually acting. Hungrybox is great in the various Summit skits, his self-parody is top notch.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I beat A20 with Watcher this morning. It really is easy mode compared to the other classes.

I pretty much always ignore her Scry synergies, and tend to build some stance shifting Talk to the Hand + Flurry of Blows deck. I like the design on the whole, but it is tuned quite differently than the other classes.

Anyone of you tried Riot's new free to play ccg Runeterra yet? It's set in the League of Legends universe, and it has a pretty nice mix of game elements from existing card games. They're in open beta, so far it's only available on the PC.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/

I'm on the Western EU server, #moc
Yeah, it's short and sweet :)

The mobile release is slated before June, I believe, so you'll have to be patient, but it's definitely sooner than Blizzard soon :p

So to follow up on this, because the android release for Legends of Runeterra just released at the end of April and I have been playing it a lot...
Geeeeez this is a good mobile and good in general game.
Some of my biggest gripes with Hearthstone were the fact that
1. Games take a long time
2. You almost never get to do anything on your opponent's turn so it can be a slog-fest at times (too many players afk because of this)
3. Blizzard takes forever to patch problem cards or buff old bad ones
4. I don't care about the Lore and the humor never stuck with me
But LoR fixes all of that and is super fun, it even has split second!
I just finished a win 7 (2-3 losses?) tier 1 in the Expeditions (basically better Arena) with a crappy Ms. Fortune and Twisted Fate aggro/combo/cat-astrophe deck (oh and Heimerdinger was there too I guess).

There's definitely a mixed metagame, with a few best cards currently, but with the patches every 1-2 weeks right now I am incredibly hopeful that this is a game I will play for a long while.

Ps: I love the Region = Colors/Classes, (with 7 currently) and that they will have enough content for years to come. I'm guessing that we will likely have ten from the sixteen, but we could see more. I just want Dr. Mundo and Blitzcrank eventually.

I am currently playing XCOM 2 and then Chimera Squad afterwards. I wanted to go all out in the entire XCOM universe while waiting this pandemic out and while I was in the middle of going to report gambling scams. I will try to reconnect with the outside world after all this is over. Might even go play Ghost of Tsushima when everything is done. I heard a lot of good things from that game, even from the Japanese developers.