The Video Game Thread

I like to play easy light games like Clash of Clans or Candy Crash, for me it's the easiest way to cut long working hours. Plus with vpn service I can unblock games free and play my fav games anytime I want. So cool

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Brand new Trainz video! I hope you all enjoy!!

I read a really interesting book recently, which was largely a history of logging. It's called "The Golden Spruce". I highly recommend it! It starts with the colonisation of North America by the Europeans, how forestry played a role there, and in general how forestry has played a role in rise of agriculture and human civilisation. It focuses more as it progresses, first on the American North West, especially trade and conflict between the Europeans and the natives. Eventually it focuses on one forester in that region. He's a pretty mad guy and some crazy shit happens.

I read a really interesting book recently, which was largely a history of logging. It's called "The Golden Spruce". I highly recommend it! It starts with the colonisation of North America by the Europeans, how forestry played a role there, and in general how forestry has played a role in rise of agriculture and human civilisation. It focuses more as it progresses, first on the American North West, especially trade and conflict between the Europeans and the natives. Eventually it focuses on one forester in that region. He's a pretty mad guy and some crazy shit happens.
That sounds really cool! I'll hav to check it out when I have a chance :).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't played Slay the Spire in a while, but was feeling inspired by recent Jorbs streams. I tried streaming a bit of it yesterday, but I had to play in pockets while the baby was asleep. The setup is pretty awful (no webcam, laptop mic), but the deck was nice.

Midway through Act 2 I hit a store with 600 gold and was able to buy Bottled Tornado for Deva Form, and pick up a Lantern. The deck already had 3 Vaults at this point, so this put me on 6 Turn 1 energy, to be able to play Deva Form and Vault. From there I picked up a couple of Fastings, and (after replaying one fight because I made a dumb mistake), had a sloppy battle with the heart.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/876143666

Will try to improve the setup and be less mumbly for future streams.

Attachments

• DevaForm.png
    DevaForm.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 5

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I am taking Tuesdays off to take care of our son Klaus, so I did some streaming during his naps. Which meant a single run had to be split up into several segments.

Floors 0 - 30: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879581930
Floors 30-33: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879628300
Floors 33-48: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879652892
Silent Act 4: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879719891

It was a pretty interesting run because we got two of my favorite relics, Warped Tongs (upgrades a card at start of turn) and Toolbox (select a colorless card at start of combat). Combined with an early Lesson Learned, it meant we had a fully upgraded deck eventually, so the Toolbox got upgraded every time. Also, the deck got a random Study at the start of the run, so the Insights (which normally draw 2) were getting upgrated as well. Draw 3 vs Draw 2 is a huge difference.

To tie it all together, I put together an engine which could go divine basically every turn (sometimes multiple times in one turn).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The links for the first two are the same, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879628300 is the correct link for floors 30-33 I think?

Ah, good catch. Thanks!

I've been playing the Windows version of the game, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have access to the beta branch. The recent beta changes gave some nice buffs the other three classes, so for the moment I've just been playing Watcher as it's the only one 'up to date'.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Cool, it's been a while since I played Slay the Spire, but it's an excellent game. I've been enjoying your stream so far, I'm only at the end of the second link, but you've already got a nice engine going. I don't think I ever managed to have a fully upgraded deck of that size at that stage of the game! I can tell that you've sank a good many hours more into this game than me too, you're thinking of strategies, agonizing over card and relic choices, and explaining your thought process. Enjoyable content :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of a weird Spire run today. My boss reward screens really scraped the bottom of the barrel, in terms of Watcher card quality. I took a speculative Master Reality (whenever you create a card during combat, upgrade it), and got rewarded with a Dead Branch (whenever you exhaust a card, create a random card).

Part 1:
Part 2:

Reactions: dbs
Have never seen this thread before and the first time I check in I see you're talking about Slay the Spire :D I have beat the heart on Ascension 20 with all classes but funnily enough I like to play the defensive controlish powergrowth player in Slay the Spire just like I do in Magic :p

I commented here to make sure you had all heard of the following two Mods that I believe everyone should have installed:

1. Colored Map
2. Permanent Neow

Both mods do not affect the difficulty or the play experience of the game and are acceptable to climb the Ascension ladder with. They're more like quality of life mods that will make the game more beautiful and 'waste' less time. The Colored Maps will make your map look like this (I've changed the colors but you get the idea). Permanent Neow means that if you're climbing the Ascension ladder and you lose the game before the first boss you don't have to restart the game on Ascension 0 and fight your way to the first boss only to abandon your run so you can restart the game on Ascension X with the Neow buff. You simply always have it available which saves you those 7 minutes after the losses where you got too greedy and were early punished or simply had bad luck in Act 1.

If you want to install a mod, you will do it in your Steam account and you will also need Base Mod which doesn't do anything other than allowing to install the other mods. Happy slaying <3

Colored Map.png

What Chris said. You can choose to have any colors so you could also choose some very dim colors. Or you could keep the original but then there would be no need for the mod :p I chose my colors to faster spot the shops on the map.

Have you guys tried Slay the Pyre (Monster Train)? :) I’m Sorry if you already talked about the game. I haven’t read the thread.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What Chris said. You can choose to have any colors so you could also choose some very dim colors. Or you could keep the original but then there would be no need for the mod :p I chose my colors to faster spot the shops on the map.

Have you guys tried Slay the Pyre (Monster Train)? :) I’m Sorry if you already talked about the game. I haven’t read the thread.

I have, love it, DLC is coming out soon!
I actually prefer it to STS, but that might be just because I actually GOT Monster train, whereas slay baffles me to this day
My record is ascension 3, but I've near enough 100%'d monster train

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm the total opposite. I tried Monster Train because it came out on Game Pass. I have it 4 good runs, but it always just stressed me out. Winning in that game never made me feel good, just... tired?