Card/Deck Thopters

CML

Contributor
Grillo -- those decks have a lot of artifact, predominantly ones I have no interest in running. Could a themeless theme work in my Cube, for example, where there aren't many artifacts but some interest in running rewards? http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/114

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The main problem with artifact themes is that they usually want some density of artifacts to work, which is typically a pretty small section in most cubes. My way around that problem is to run a 3o card af section at 360, but support it with a bunch of artifact army in a can guys (the splicers).

Rogue and Pia are probably independently strong enough where you could just run them (maybe not rogue?) but most of the time I would expect them to be 4 mana value creatures (which might be fine). The spy network requires more artifact density, and you would have to make some pretty significant changes to get to the point where it makes sense to run, even if you have rogue and pia in the cube at the same time.

In typical cubes, Rogue is way better. If you run very little removal/bounce, Talrand would work well - but then, what wouldn't?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In typical cubes, Rogue is way better. If you run very little removal/bounce, Talrand would work well - but then, what wouldn't?

Not Talrand, Talrand's Invocation.

It's a question of 4 flying power across 2 bodies, or a bear + two flying 1/1's, with an optional ability to make things unblockable, at a cost.

Obviously things like devotion, Prowess, delver / Augur, blink, Pod, etc. will mess with this (plus the value of the ability). Maybe I'm undervaluing the unblockable clause?

Not Talrand, Talrand's Invocation.

It's a question of 4 flying power across 2 bodies, or a bear + two flying 1/1's, with an optional ability to make things unblockable, at a cost.

Obviously things like devotion, Prowess, delver / Augur, blink, Pod, etc. will mess with this (plus the value of the ability). Maybe I'm undervaluing the unblockable clause?

I think you may be undervaluing the unblockable clause (nevermind the blinkability, devotion, and "human" typing, which are also varying degrees of awesome, format depending). Remember that the unblockability is turned on by tapping "artifacts", not just thopters. It's come up with equipment being tapped, or even mana rocks, to swing in hard. 4 flying power, especially spread between two bodies, is a lot worse than the potential to get through something even bigger, and that gets even better if you have multiple artifacts to send through 2 creatures.

Honestly, I just want to slam people with unblockable Shu Yun and various double strikers in white from time to time. No reasonable number of drakes is enabling me to do this.

That's pretty clever!
I personally use Chandra's Mom. Yes I know her dad is on the card too, but that ruins the pseudo-rhyme scheme when you kill someone with the sac trigger, shrug, and say "Sorry man, I guess Chandra's Mom has got it going on today."
Slightly related, does anyone know the gendering of Indian names? Like, which one is her mom and which one is her dad? I am a hillbilly.

See, I had the lady pegged as Pia!
I wonder if that counts as prejudice, privilege, or naiveté... Then again who cares

On topic, I run Myr Battlesphere as my "best" Tinker target (even if it's GRBS it is in fact a Katamari of Myr so nyeh), and if your T3 is Tinker into Battleball and your T4 is Whirler Rogue, you have achieved Timmy-vana.

Pia is a female name, and Kiran is gender neutral (I have a male friend named Kirran, funnily enough), so my money is on Momma Pia and Papa Kiran.