General Three-color cards worth running

I half feel like propping up Nicol Bolas/Cruel Ultimatum.dec would be an interesting asymmetric 3-colour deck incentive, rather than adding a whole bunch of 3-colour stuff. I have no idea how this works in practice, but man, it sure sounds like fun.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

Oh yeah, forgot this guy! He's amazing!

I half feel like propping up Nicol Bolas/Cruel Ultimatum.dec would be an interesting asymmetric 3-colour deck incentive, rather than adding a whole bunch of 3-colour stuff. I have no idea how this works in practice, but man, it sure sounds like fun.

Both cards are very good and I would happily run them as my only 3-color cards. They definitely incentivise people to go into Grixis control.
Oh, well, right, I would totally cut them before I cut Maelstrom Wanderer, but they're definitely the next two on the list.

CML

Contributor
I love those cards but neither make the cut as a '3-color bomb'

We can relax the criteria a little for Wild Nacatl since he's not really 3-color. I've tried a bunch of true 3-color cards though and they're all going to be very fringe and frequently picked 15th, so why not make them build-arounds? Cruel Ultimatum and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and Maelstrom Wanderer are the closest to those (I dissent from the Wadds argument that 3-color fatties are more restrictive than 3-color, uh, non-fatties), but then some build-arounds like Zur the Enchanter, however powerful and fun, don't work, and I think about just having Nacatl and Ultimatum and feel much better about my design choices.

Other than that I nominate

esper: none

Man, I love Lightning Angel. It's really not amazing anymore by today's standards, but that is probably my favorite tricolor card ever.

CML

Contributor
t'pau. charge seems like more of a thing than those other cards, especially since its nazi wedge loves that kind of effect.