Card/Deck Three Colour Cards in Cube

Aoret

Developer
I still have a handful of three color cards in my Utility Land binder and I still haven't decided how players draft them. Allowing them to take them instead of a land is backwards: if you are cramming 3 color cards into your deck, particularly CDE cards you want to cast on curve, you need better mana, not worse mana. I'm thinking that if you want to, you can skip your round to grab a card out of the binder instead of taking your picks. This works well enough for Westchester draft, but not really for booster draft.

Semi-OT, but is a binder the accepted solution to utility land draft nowadays? Finally got around to trying my utility land stack for the first time last weekend. It worked fine but not everybody could easily see. A binder is more easily passed around, but also doesn't let you see everything at once. Thoughts?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've always done utility land draft on a side table during the deckbuilding phase, with the main disadvantage to that approach being that people need to get up out of their seats and walk over to a corner to peruse the selection. I think when Jason used to do it, he actually laid them out in the middle of the draft table itself, but I never had enough space to do that.

I think the binder is a good solution if you're doing the utility land draft during the draft portion itself, or in between packs. A binder seems a little cumbersome if you're saving utility lands until the deckbuilding portion, though.

Weird, the land binder has been far // away the best option here. Other advantages over setting them up on another table:
You can include notes to drafters (the few half-a-pick lands are in a separate section)
Way easier to pass between players (we add lands during deck construction and once you've picked you just give the binder to the next person)
I don't spend fifteen minutes laying out cards every week on top of shuffling/packbuilding

I've just laid them out on a mat in the middle of the table whenever I've run it. I keep all of the lands in a deck box, just bring them along whenever we actually draft. We just hold off on it until the end of the real draft and just snake draft it for 3 rounds. It's not such a big deal if people have an idea of what you're running off your picks since most of us build our decks/talk about them during the building portion right next to eachother.

As for 3 color cards, the only two I can think off that have been hits are Sidisi, Brood Tyrant and Jeskai Ascendancy. Lots of play to both of them, make for fun an interesting games. Especially Ascendancy if you've got any prowess guys on board + cheap instants in hand. Sidisi Pod was a pretty fun deck as well, complete with the anti-selfmill tech of Kozilek.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Why not sheets printed with the cards on it, but smaller. Drafters get some kind of game piece,like a chess piece or checkers piece and they can mark their picks like that. Or just take the cards from a bunder

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I guess there's the slight mental preference for lands on the first page of that binder (We've got fairly predictable psychology as humans after all)

That might be true at first but if people draft your cube regularly they (hopefully) have an idea of what want before they open the binder.

I really like Zur the more I think about him. Black's enchantments are so good, it's really quite fortunate it can't get whip, but like journey to nowhere, arena, reanimation enchantments, even silly build arounds!

CML

Contributor
I really like Zur the more I think about him. Black's enchantments are so good, it's really quite fortunate it can't get whip, but like journey to nowhere, arena, reanimation enchantments, even silly build arounds!

believe me i really wish it had worked

nobody mention oblivion ring or anything!

How many Dragons/Demons/Angels do you think you would need before Kaalia of the Vast becomes a possibility? Is it even worth jumping through hoops to enable what is basically a pretty narrow Show and Tell effect?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
How many Dragons/Demons/Angels do you think you would need before Kaalia of the Vast becomes a possibility? Is it even worth jumping through hoops to enable what is basically a pretty narrow Show and Tell effect?

Not only is it narrow in effect, it is narrow in terms of color requirements. I can't imagine a reasonable cube that wants this card.

Reactions: CML

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, even when it works, her effect isn't really fun at all. 'Oh great, turn 4/5 Griselbrand? Why not, look at me having fun!" She's ruined plenty of commander games around the globe, I'm not about to introduce her to my cube.

Yeah that was pretty much my instinct but I thought it might be worth running out there just in case. Mardu does not really have a lot of interesting effects as far as I can see.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That depends a bit on your playstyle I think, but this is generally true for each shard/wedge when you look beyond the first one or two most interecting cards. I heavily improvised for my 3-color themed cube and designed a good bit of 3-color cards myself.